Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

How to tell work/How did you do it?

(12 Posts)
changedusernameactivemember Tue 10-Feb-15 12:21:27

Hi all,

For reasons mentioned in here I have decided to tell work next week, after my yearly appraisal (I will be almost 16 w then)

I was wondering if there are certain things I really need to make sure I say and whether there is anything I shouldn't really mention?
How did you do it?

Also, should I tell my line manager first or should I tell both line manager and CEO as I will be seeing both at the same time for the appraisal?

Many thanks!

Number3cometome Tue 10-Feb-15 12:49:23

Just say 'i'm expecting a baby'

No need to give any other details until you get your MATB1.

Make it clear you know your rights in regards to paid time off for appointments should anyone suggest otherwise.

And good luck!

happygojo Tue 10-Feb-15 12:59:13

Deep breaths! I was shaking like a leaf. There isn't much they can say apart from 'congratulations' also get in touch with HR.

July is too far in advance for anyone to plan, anything could happen in that time to anyone involved. People could leave or get sick, so don't worry about it. At the end of the day, your appraisal is about your performance the previous yet, and although you plan for the future.

For mine, my line manager knew but it wasn't public and we agreed that we would act like I wasn't preg. But all my Q3 and Q4 targets are things that I would be able to complete on KIT days or working at home, or even on return from maternity.

You will feel so much better once you 'come out' smile

sianihedgehog Tue 10-Feb-15 14:21:55

I rang my temporary line manager from my car outside at lunchtime this time, but we work about 2h drive apart! Last time I grabbed my line manager, said I needed a word privately, and dragged him into a meeting room to tell him! I just said "I know that you will want as much time as possible to prepare, so I want to let you know that I'm pregnant and due in X month" both times. They were utterly lovely and congratulated me and informed HR.

StoneBaby Tue 10-Feb-15 15:37:22

Told my supervisors at 3 weeks mostly because I had so many appointments due to my health vs pg that I had to explain why I was taking so much time off. As she's a mum of 2 she was great about it (and still is now that I'm 17w)

changedusernameactivemember Tue 10-Feb-15 15:59:30

Thank you all, I will probably tell my manager first after the appraisal and then she will tell anyone else that needs to know (HR, big boss, etc)
I rather wanted to tell them both at the same time, but my manager will probably not like it that I did not go to her first.
I'm not even sure why I am stressing so much about it confused

cheeseburgerandfries Tue 10-Feb-15 16:35:28

I told HR first and got them to send out the maternity leave policy and application form.

Then after I had my Mat1b form I spoke to my manager and handed her my application form for maternity leave.

Strokethefurrywall Tue 10-Feb-15 17:12:24

I barfed on one of my bosses shoes when I was 6 weeks. Kind of gave the game away...

MissTwister Tue 10-Feb-15 22:18:21

Given your CEO's dodgy history I would wait till after the bonus/ pay rise conversation. Tell them a few days later and say you would have told them earlier but were waiting on all clear test results and don't go into any more detail than that. Its perfectly feasible, you get treated fairly and they don't feel you were holding back unnecessarily

changedusernameactivemember Tue 10-Feb-15 23:11:45

cheese we don't have an I house HR dept. ours is outsourced, any issue goes through the line manager.
stroke lol would love to do that
miss that's actually a great idea, thank you very much, works out great

ChickenMe Wed 11-Feb-15 00:09:06

I told my boss immediately but i have a "dangerous" job where I could be injured. So my boss knew before my mum did. I'm in a team of six so I told them and they were to told keep quiet which they did. They were fine, very happy for me and have been taking the piss out of "fatty" ever since (blokes eh!)

MissTwister Wed 11-Feb-15 13:32:05

No worries, OP - it's what I did!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: