Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Goddamn you 2nd trimester...

(9 Posts)
Skeppers Tue 10-Feb-15 10:12:08

I'm 14+2, so starting the 2nd trimester. My first tri was SO easy; no sickness, pains or symptoms of any kind! However, my body is making up for it now. My boobs have stopped aching but this has been replaced by a dull ache in my fanjo (apparently quite normal) and feet (!?), I'm constantly knackered and MY GOD the insomnia and crazy dreams! My back and hips ache and I just feel so sorry for myself. Did anyone else feel worse in their second trimester? I thought this was when you're supposed to feel your best?! angry

Teeste Tue 10-Feb-15 10:28:49

Not worse, but differently crap, I'd say. Currently nearly 22 weeks and I'm still going off random food at random times, I have to sleep with a pillow between my legs or I get horrific hip/pelvis pain, I start yawning at about 4pm and I'm asleep by 10, yet wake up at about 3.30 am for an hour or so. Intermittent constipation. And now the little bean thinks it's funny to boot me in the uterus really hard five times a day (which is only going to get stronger and more frequent, I know).

My hair is a mess - I don't think I'm getting those promised shiny locks, more like greasy rat tails. My skin is dry and flaky, so definitely no mythical pregnancy glow or energy boost. I have such a dry mouth and cracked lips. And then the nose bleeds and snot! So glamorous.

But my nails are growing really fast, so, um, yay!

Zahrah5 Tue 10-Feb-15 10:30:39

You will not start feeling better from one day to other just by crossing to second trim and do not expect to feel like normal- not pregnant, you will still have aches and pains etc.

For me the better time started about
17 w and lasted until 27w.

Skeppers Tue 10-Feb-15 10:31:15

Oh my god, yes...cracked lips too! And my already thick hair has the texture and volume of a privet hedge!

Skeppers Tue 10-Feb-15 10:35:28

Zahrah5 I get that, it just sticks in my craw that I had a completely symptom-free first trimester (and yes, I felt completely normal to the point where- until I had my first scan- I was convinced that I wasn't actually pregnant!) and it's only now that I feel like turd. Perhaps I lucked out in the 1st 12 wks!?

HazleNutt Tue 10-Feb-15 10:41:27

My first pregnancy was the same - no symptoms in 1st trimester, so did not notice any improvement in 2nd, just that I started getting fatter.
This time though was nauseous and tired like hell, weird cravings and aversions, and that only disappeared around 15-16 weeks. It's lovely to feel like a normal human being again (even if a slightly chunky one)

Teeste Tue 10-Feb-15 10:46:19

I think you were lucky - I thought I was when I only really had 5 weeks of feeling exhausted and sick in the first trimester. Now there's all this new stuff to deal with. Only just past halfway and I feel like I've been pregnant forever and I'm gasping for a bottle or three of red wine. I may not be one of those women who enjoy pregnancy. It's really hit home to me that it ain't like it is on the TV!

I need a montage...

MissTwister Tue 10-Feb-15 13:39:23

I am nearly 16 weeks. I'd say I feel better in that I don't want to vomit over people on a regular basis but I still feel sick sometimes, especially when tired.

I am still exhausted but now instead of sleeping for 11 hours I wake up nice and early (around 6am) and can't sleep again, even at weekends.

My spots are worse than ever!

My fanny hurts on and off

My ligaments hurt

Apart from I'm sure I am glowing!!

sianihedgehog Tue 10-Feb-15 14:16:08

Second trimester has brought me nausea, migraines, and exhaustion so far. Energy boost my arse, the closest I'm getting is that the fatness is forcing me to exercise again!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: