Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

lots of cs questions

(13 Posts)
sleepy2kp Tue 10-Feb-15 09:50:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 10-Feb-15 10:46:36

1) I was given my date at my 20 week consultation.

2) I was told that if I went into labour before this date then I was to ring the hospital then go in and they would perform a CS on an emergency basis.

3) My DH was not allowed in the theatre with me until after I'd had the spinal. I'm not sure if this is a general rule in hospitals but he he couldn't be with me until just before they were ready to start.

4) I didn't have any acute pain. The spinal lasted about 8 hours and then I was kept topped up with painkillers. Don't get me wrong, it was uncomfortable and I was for many weeks but it was more a dull ache than pain.

5) I couldn't dress my baby or do nappies for quite a while. Firstly it was because I was numb from the waist down and then when the spinal wore off I was far too uncomfortable to lean forwards or bend forward in any way. I can't recall changing my baby at all whilst in hospital actually. I was reliant on DH, visitors and the staff. I think the same applies for dressing. I was pretty zoned out for a few days after my CS and my recollections of that time are very hazy.

6) Of course you can request the babies are cared for by just you and your DH. Definitely be prepared to need help when your DH isn't there though, I couldn't have managed without the staff helping me when I was on my own.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 10-Feb-15 10:49:47

I meant to say that after the CS my DH was not allowed to stay with me whilst they stitched me up. They ushered him and my DS out that operating room and then they started work on me. That was hard as for about 30 minutes I was just lying there and really missing DS.

The hardest thing for me is that I didn't get to hold DS when he was born as he was given straight to my DH. I could see him as DH was right next to me but I wish more than anything I had asked to hold him. Even now, 10 months later I can get tearful about it. I didn't get to hold him until 45-50 minutes after he was born and that makes me sad sad

CheeseandGherkins Tue 10-Feb-15 11:00:28

1. My last baby needed to be born for medical reasons but I couldn't go through with the induction (long story) so they gave me a section, I had a couple of days notice.

2. You should call hospital right away and they will advise. I imagine they would give you an emergency section if required.

3. My dh was with me at all times before, during and after my section. It was exactly what I needed as I was truly terrified and I started to panic at one point but they all calmed me down.

4. The actual section I felt nothing, the extra cannula they tried to put in during my section hurt more than anything else! I couldn't feel the needle to numb the area of my back, or the epidural at all. He was very skilled! Afterwards, I was ok on ibuprofen and paracetamol. The only really painful parts were when I first stood up (and only for the first week I think), I had a horrible burning pain on on side of my scar. I was diagnosed with multiple dvts around 2 weeks after my section though (which originated from pregnancy and not the op) so I'm not sure if this contributed to the extra pain.

5. With help, I was able to change nappies and dress her myself but it was very difficult at first and so dh did the bulk. I held her as soon as she was born, according to dh I said I want to hold her first, she was offered to dh but I insisted on holding her first! I don't remember this bit, I imagine it was the either the morphine in the spinal or the excitement of the situation. I have some amazing photos though.

6. In my experience, yes of course you can. They are your babies and you are in charge.

Hope this helps!

Number3cometome Tue 10-Feb-15 11:11:16

1. When will I be given a date for my cs?
I was told a provisional week of 38 weeks at my 16 week appointment. Confirmed date will be given to me at my 30 week consultant appointment.

2. What happens / What do I do if I go into labour before cs date?
Contact the hospital and immediately make your way there, despite common myth, you can still insist on your CS at any point (except when pushing)

3. How can I make sure my partner stays with me as I feel he helps a lot with my fears?(this is very important to me)
With an epidural he can be there all the time, with a General Anaesthetic he is very likely to have to wait outside (but you will be asleep so won't notice)

4. How much pain will I be in?
Personal experience, not too bad, you will cope with regular paracetamol after the initial pain relief wears off.

5. Will I get to dress my babies afterwards, first nappies etc?
Yes

6. Can I say my babies are to be cared for by myself and partner exclusively providing they are ok?
Yes

AnotherStitchInTime Tue 10-Feb-15 11:19:56

1) Depends on your consultant, some book early on in pregnancy and others wait to see how your pregnancy progresses with the twins before deciding. They should at least be able to tell you whether they are aiming to deliver you at 39 weeks or earlier.

2). Contact labour ward and come in for EMCS.

3) DH was with me when they put the spinals in and the epidural and was there the whole time until I went under general anaesthetic following dc3's birth. The only time he wasn't with me was when he was getting into a gown.

4). There will be some pain afterwards on moving or going to the toilet, but with regular pain medication it will be manageable. Whilst in hospital you can ask for more pain relief such as oramorph. Once home if the medication you were discharged with is not enough speak to your GP by telephone or the midwife helpline they can prescribe and bring something else to you or your DP can collect it for you.

5). I couldn't dress my babies afterwards. With the first two csections I was up and out of bed the next day though and could lift baby and change them. DH dressed dd1, DB dressed dd2 and DH ds. Once on postnatal ward after DH went home the midwives changed them for me until I was able and passed them to me for feeds.

6) As you are having twins it might be possible for them to arrange for you to be in a side room and DH stay to help you, ask about this. This is a win-win as if DH stays to help you the midwives have more time to help other mothers, even if they try to refuse ahead of time you can probably talk the nice midwives round.

I should add there is no reason your babies can't be placed on your chest once born, I asked for this and got it with all three csections, despite known major complications requiring a general anaesthetic with my third birth (I held D's before being put under). Once I had a cuddle they were wrapped and given to DH. He was with me during stitching for the first two births.

I stayed two nights with my first EMCS, 1 with my second. If all is well and the twins are feeding ok then it will be a very short time in hospital and then you will be home. Try to focus on that. Although the average twin gestation is 37 weeks which is full term, I think though you need to mentally prepare yourself just in case the twins come earlier and require SCBU support, talk to your midwives/consultant about it from now.

Number3cometome Tue 10-Feb-15 11:30:50

AnotherStitchInTime

I had a GA with my first (EMCS), ex partner was not allowed in the room (I was seriously ill so this may have been why)

Second CS was a spinal block, no issues, but I had my mum there not Ex.p.

Very likely my CS will be under a general (spinal fusion), would like OH to be there, do you think they will let him?

sleepy2kp Tue 10-Feb-15 15:26:57

Number3cometome Tue 10-Feb-15 15:31:16

Make sure your midwife / consultant are aware of this - missing appointments can result in them making a note to Social Services.

If you are very anxious I would also suggest a mental health assessment, it's not half as scary as it sounds, I've had one and it can be very helpful.

Don't worry, your partner can attend any appointments with you, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Thurlow Tue 10-Feb-15 15:35:08

sleepy, I remember a previous thread you had on this and I'm sorry that you're not getting the response you need from medical professionals.

I had an emcs but some things were similar. You'll be in some pain and discomfort but not as much as you might imagine. Just make sure you stay on top of your painkillers, which can be difficult to do if your babies are taken to SCBU for a little while. Just stay strong with the nurses and insist they get you pain relief. But as long as you do things slowly and carefully, you'll be able to do the care for your babies.

Generally no one else is going to try and look after your babies - that's the common complaint on here anyway grin You are expected to do pretty much everything unless you ask for help, and no one should come along and care for your babies without your consent.

As for no one else caring for your babies, and your DH being with you at all times, I do understand it's not rational and not something you can magic away. However, are you able to maybe access counselling through work, or talk to a doula? My only concern, reading your posts, is that no one can guarantee your DH will be with you at all times. Hopefully, with everything crossed, he will be able to, but on a busy maternity ward it's not 100% possible for anyone to say he will always be with you if you are in hospital for a few days. Ditto with your babies. There is a chance with all babies that they need to go to NICU or SCBU for a few days for some extra care, which is all very normal and nothing to be worried about. But it does mean that someone else would be caring for them for a time.

I'm only saying this as I remember your other thread and I wish you all the luck with your pregnancy and birth.

sleepy2kp Tue 10-Feb-15 16:04:48

Thurlow Tue 10-Feb-15 16:25:15

Good luck - I know it must be so scary but you sound as though you are doing brilliantly at looking for ways to manage this flowers

Number3cometome Tue 10-Feb-15 16:26:20

sleepy2kp

Honestly, when you suffer from anxiety there is no convincing you that there is nothing to worry about!

Try telling me that the ringing in my ears at night is nothing to worry about when I am hyperventilating!

Anxiety is a serious issue, but there is help out there for you x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: