Talk

Advanced search

Vitamins?

(12 Posts)
Hotpotpie Mon 09-Feb-15 18:37:35

Iron really doesn't agree with me so I can't take most pregnancy vitamins, I've bought folic acid and gentle iron is there anything else I should be taking? I'm getting old I could do with all the goodness I can get!!

ClariceBeanthatsme Mon 09-Feb-15 18:48:30

Vitamin D supplement smile

stargirl1701 Mon 09-Feb-15 18:49:40

The free NHS Healthy Start vitamins for pregnant women from your midwife?

TywysogesGymraeg Mon 09-Feb-15 18:51:09

Eat a healthy diet.

Hotpotpie Mon 09-Feb-15 18:52:16

They have iron in them stargirl, they make me terribly constipated blush

Thanks claricebeanthatsme!

ChocolateBiscuitCake Mon 09-Feb-15 19:15:07

The Vitamin D is really essential (much more than previously thought).

Also, definitely worth taking DHA/EPA.

As we get older, our natural stores of DHA deplete and we can not supplement enough in our diets, so it is really important to take supplement in pregnancy and if nursing - DHA is essential for all development, but especially the brain. The baby needs this from the placenta (and breastmilk).

Have you tried Spatone for Iron? It is expensive, but gentle.

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 09-Feb-15 19:17:49

Is vitamin D supplements the ones that have vitamin D3 written on them ?

Hotpotpie Mon 09-Feb-15 19:28:47

I can honestly say I've never heard of DHA! Thank you I'll have a look

I eat a really good varied diet but I'm not a young mum and I suffer with low iron intermittently, so I want to make sure I at least cover the basics

ChocolateBiscuitCake Mon 09-Feb-15 19:32:19

Yes and well worth paying a bit more for a good quality product rather than a synthetic boots-type stuff. The "better quality" supplements are more bio-available i.e. absorbed better/more easily by the body. Cheap vitamins tend to just flush through your system!

I don't know what your budget is, but I use the Zita West spray. They recommend: Vitamin D 3, 1000iu/25ug daily.

stargirl1701 Mon 09-Feb-15 19:34:29

They don't. Just C and D and folic acid. No iron.

www.healthystart.nhs.uk/healthy-start-vouchers/healthy-start-vitamins/

Hotpotpie Mon 09-Feb-15 19:39:34

Sorry stargirl1701 I could have sworn I had tried those! blush thank you I think they are just what I Want

MissTwister Mon 09-Feb-15 20:02:18

Gosh I didn't realise about DHA - are there any smaller pregnancy safe omega 3 capsules as all the ones I've seen are huge and I can't swallow them!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: