Advanced search

Paternity leave?

(16 Posts)
StillinShockAhhhhhhh Mon 09-Feb-15 14:24:55

DH told his work as soon as we found out about the pregnancy that he intended To take his full two weeks paternity leave from the baby's date of birth. All the way through the pregnancy they have said that should anything develop whilst he is on a job he is allowed to 'down tools' and they will send someone from the office to cover him and start his leave from then. He works a shift pattern of x amount of days on and then the same off. Today they have said that they expect him to finish his shift block regardless of which day he is on and can only arrange to cover him for one shift block off resulting in him having about 7 consecutive days off instead of 14. Are they allowed to do this? From what I have found online he is entitled to start paternity leave from the day the baby is born and can take the full two weeks as we have done everything that we are supposed to?

bullseyebraces Mon 09-Feb-15 14:28:56

Watching with interest.

aneesa28 Mon 09-Feb-15 14:52:08

As of April 2015 you are both entitled to Shared Parental Leave if you qualify, SPL replaces Statutory Paternity Leave. More info here:

StillinShockAhhhhhhh Mon 09-Feb-15 14:59:52

The baby is actually due this month so Unfortunately that won't apply to us, thank you though x

aneesa28 Mon 09-Feb-15 15:09:59

In that case they can't offer you less than the statutory amount, as long as your DH had agreed with his employer in writing at least 15 weeks before the week the baby is due (which it sounds like he did from OP). Check the gov website for details.

StillinShockAhhhhhhh Mon 09-Feb-15 15:19:53

That's what I thought it they are just saying an outright no having that much time off

boatrace30 Mon 09-Feb-15 15:23:16

I'm pretty sure this isn't allowed, as long as he has been working there for long enough (I think a year from the notice date - or maybe only 6months).
It's outrageous anyway - Dad's are just seen as so unimportant in all of this, very unfair.

StillinShockAhhhhhhh Mon 09-Feb-15 15:25:19

I know the problem is DH works away so really will need him home as its around 6-8 hours away so if the baby is born the first day of his shift he won't meet them for nearly 5 days

ImpatiencePersonified Mon 09-Feb-15 16:19:19

Hey - hope this helps!

StillinShockAhhhhhhh Mon 09-Feb-15 16:54:01

Thank you!

DueInFebruary Mon 09-Feb-15 18:59:54

Employers really don't seem to take into consideration the importance of fathers being around for the short amount of time they are allowed

Gillian1980 Mon 09-Feb-15 19:46:54

Nope, they're not allowed to do that as it's a legal entitlement.

He needs to be blunt and tell them they are acting unlawfully and that he will be taking his full entitlement. If they don't back down he should go to his union or acas.

StillinShockAhhhhhhh Mon 09-Feb-15 20:15:51

Can he take his leave from the day that the baby is born or will he have to finish his shift block first?

sleepybee Mon 09-Feb-15 20:23:35

Paternity leave can start as soon as you go into labour & he's entitled to 10 days leave. He needs to get speaking to his HR rep! What if your husband took ill - would he still have to finish his shifts?! No his employer would have find the cover

DueInFebruary Mon 09-Feb-15 20:27:40

Unfortunately the company he works for doesn't have a HR dep as it's a small family business which only seems to make this harder due to guilt trips etc, however as long as I know he is entitled to take his leave from the day of birth I will make sure he stands his ground a bit more, thank you all! Always good to get a bit of reassurance in these situations

DueInFebruary Mon 09-Feb-15 20:30:59

Bloody iPad name still hasn't updated original post was on my iphone sorry for any confusion.,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now