Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Pregnant at last ! And worried about...well...nothing

(6 Posts)
Skiptonlass Sun 08-Feb-15 19:13:11

I've finally managed to get myself knocked up, which is fabulous and I'm very happy. I'm sure all first time mums worry, but I seem to have got myself into a bit of a lather this week. I'm a scientist and so I suppose I'm having that 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' moment.

I'm finding myself gripped with some sort of existential terror - miscarriage, birth defects, diet, excercise, work stress, work firing me when they find out, etc.

This is normal, right? I'm just hormonal, tired and nauseous...? I'm not even sure what I'm asking. Possibly reassurance from those who've been through all this before (or are just less mental.)

HolyDrinker Sun 08-Feb-15 19:20:09

Totally, totally normal! Congratulations! I think everyone worries until they have at least that first scan. It's all so new and precious. I think I started worrying less after the 20wk scan and when I could feel the baby move around.

And if you think you're worried now, just wait until you're sent home with a froggy little newborn to care for!

dizzydollie Sun 08-Feb-15 19:25:07

Its normal - I am by nature a very anxious person so I was freaking out. But my best friend was pregnant and was exactly the same! As you say knowledge can be dangerous, so step away from books and do not Google!!

I've been induced, had a long labour which ended in an emergency c section and then with my second baby I had a planned section. If I can do it and I am a nervous scaredy cat then you will be fine xxxx

Skiptonlass Sun 08-Feb-15 19:25:51

Thank you!
I know what happens will happen but i am a worrier. I emigrated about 18 months back and I think that's not helped, being so far from family, friends and support networks.

I will try some deep breaths. And vomit very discreetly at work.

Skiptonlass Sun 08-Feb-15 19:27:54

Weirdly enough, the actual birth bit is one of the things I am not too worried about. That's balanced by me worrying about absolutely everything else in the entire universe though smile

You're right about Dr. Google!

GoooRooo Sun 08-Feb-15 19:35:53

Congratulations! The worries never stop, in my experience. One of the joys of pregnancy. Then you become a parent and worry about different stuff!

I wasn't worried about the birth either. It seemed so far removed from the pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now