Talk

Advanced search

3cm Cervix

(16 Posts)
thisismypassword Sat 07-Feb-15 08:39:01

Last week I was found to have 3cm cervix, no funnelling and no bulging when pressure put on abdomen.

Has anyone had a 3cm cervix and gone on to have full term/problem free pregnancy? I'm 17 weeks.

Fatlegs Sat 07-Feb-15 08:52:47

I had a colposcopy years ago, but it shorten my cervix, it's just under average, which I think is 3cm,
but they checked me over and said I'm low risk, and I went on to have baby at 38 weeks, all went well, baby was there within 8 hrs of the very first signs that's she was on her waysmile
I wouldn't worry at all, if they we're concerned, they would of suggested a stitch to hold baby inshock
Hope all is well otherwise

LittleBairn Sat 07-Feb-15 09:06:59

My situation is a bit different as I was being monitored closely in this pregnancy due to two previous late loses.
I was scanned every two weeks until i was finally found to be 1.4cm, an emergency stitch was put in a few hours later, I was 20 weeks.
I went back up to 3.75 after the stitch only to go all the way back to 1.4cm 6 days later at 21 weeks. I'm now almost 30 weeks.

I don't want to frighten you but trust me they don't give out stitches easy hence me loosing my 2nd baby at 19 weeks and even then they still wouldn't give me a preventitive stitch.
So by that I would say don't just blindly trust the Drs it's great you have no funnelling or bulging so your situation sounds good for now.
Are they doing a transvaginal scan every two weeks at fetal med?
If not kick up hell until they do.

Is this your first pregnancy?

Fatlegs Sat 07-Feb-15 09:28:33

sad Sorry to hear that littlebairn

My doctors were fantastic with me, even after checking me up, and re-assuring me that I was low risk, they still offered the stitch if I wanted, i decided against can't remember the reason but for sure kick up a stink if you feel unhappy with the care you're being given,
but please don't stress, it ain't good for your bubba

LittleBairn Sat 07-Feb-15 09:42:53

Fatlegs sounds like you lucked out on the NHS lottery!
My hospital with the first two was particularly crap but unfortunately not unusual.
What I would say to others with these issues is research the hospitals surrounding you and choose one with the best fetal medicine (often they are city hospitals with NICU units and can take early preemies) not all hospitals are equal with their level of expertise and care vary greatly.

Littlemissjt Sat 07-Feb-15 13:53:07

I've had colposcopy treatment before and they'll check the length of my cervix at 20 week scan. I've been told I'll only need a stitch if it's less than 2.5cm.

thisismypassword Sat 07-Feb-15 18:53:16

It's my 1st pregnancy since the lletz treatment. I already have a dd. I'm having a follow up scan week 22, but I think I'll ask them to check cervix during 20 week scan.

gallicgirl Sat 07-Feb-15 18:56:20

Where are based? I know Southend offers this and has good foetal medicine department now.

applecore0317 Sat 07-Feb-15 23:41:31

Hi, I'm 24 +3 now, had lletz treatment 14 months ago. My cervix measured at 3.1 three weeks ago and is now 2.4, no funelling

Haven't been offered a stitch, but have had steroid injections this week to help develop her lungs as a precaution and am having to use progesterone pessaries three times a day. I am seeing the consultant weekly at the moment for internal scans.

There is an American website called keepemcooking which has loads of positive stories for women in the same position

applecore0317 Sat 07-Feb-15 23:42:45

the progesterone is meant to either stabilise the cervix or help to lengthen it, wil know if they are working by Wednesday

LittleBairn Sun 08-Feb-15 11:04:26

apple I do have a stitch but it's just about holding (I've shortened right to 1.3 where the stitch is and the baby is head down) I'm certain it's the progestrone that's keeping me pregnant right now. Along with strict bednest.
I've been taking 400mg each night since 21 weeks.

applecore0317 Sun 08-Feb-15 11:10:58

hi littlebairn not sure why I haven't been offered the stitch, read somewhere that they don't normally do it once you have reached 24 weeks.., but am on 3 x 400mg progesterone a day. So maybe a higher dosage to avoid the stitch?

LittleBairn Sun 08-Feb-15 11:40:36

Yes they rarely do it that late in fear of rupturing the sac, introducing infection or just because it's difficult to actually put the stitch in.
But the don't often offer a stitch for a first 'failure' even in their own literature from the Royal college of Obs it says statistically they want at least 2-3 failures.

My stitch was done at 20 weeks which is pretty late and the surgeon said it was one of the most difficult stitches she had ever done, it took almost 4 times as long as usual my DH started to worry I had died during surgery!

The 3x400mg is a brilliant dose! I don't know about you but I hate doing them, they have made my vagina feel really odd so you have my sympathy doing it 3x a day.

I was originally given 200mg but I then heard another patient complain she was originally on 400mg but been put down to 200mg and I realised I could get a higher dose and requested it.
I remember being at 24 weeks like you are right now (admittedly it was only 6 weeks ago!) and how stressful it was waiting feeling like a ticking time bomb, so have hope if me and my cervix can get this far then you may also.

Are you doing bed rest? A lot of Drs don't really like recommending it but I feel it's made a huge difference to this pregnancy. Luckily my Dr is supportive I just need to inject each day and wear support stockings.

babybump15 Sun 08-Feb-15 17:35:41

Hi

I am 33 weeks and a couple of days ago I think I lost some of my mucus plug it was like a big bit of bogger and since then I have been get twinges in my private parts would anyone know what that means

LittleBairn Sun 08-Feb-15 17:48:51

babybump I would phone you maternity assesement unit ASAP if it is your plug they will likely give you steroid injections to mature the babies lungs which need time to work and they will also check to make sure you aren't dilating so they can keep an eye on your infection levels.
It might just we weird discharge but best to get checked over.

applecore0317 Sun 08-Feb-15 18:55:33

littlebairn thanks, all this is helping me smile not been advised to bed rest, next appointment on Wednesday so will see what they say. They just said no to gym and thay I could swim or walk, but that might change as I lost fluid on Friday and ended up down the hospital. They think its my hind waters but again didn't seem over concerned, so yes does feel like a ticking time bomb... just taking it one week at a time, glad you have made it so far!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: