Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Measuring big...

(12 Posts)
Chocoholic26 Fri 06-Feb-15 19:37:58

Hi there Ive just had my 28week appointment and I'm measuring 30weeks. Midwife doesn't seem too concerned at the moment. Just wondering if this has been the same for anyone else and what was the outcome? What will happen if I continue to measure big and would I be induced earlier if so? Should have asked all this at app but midwife just said not to worry until next measure at 31 weeks x

GlitzAndGigglesx Fri 06-Feb-15 19:39:59

Not me personally but my friends dd was measuring 3 weeks ahead. She went in to labour naturally 4 days late but ended up having an emcs as her baby was breach. I can't remember the baby's exact weight but it was in the 8lb mark

blackwidow74 Fri 06-Feb-15 20:09:40

I've been measured big by the midwife since 24 weeks when she measured me at 27 ... at 28 weeks she measured me at 30 and at 29 weeks at 32!! I had growth scan last week which shows baby is neither big nor am I carrying excess fluid so it's simply down to a rather over zealous use of measuring tape I think! If you are consistently bigger I'm sure you will be scanned or tested to check for gestational diabetes ... It doesn't necessarily mean early induction though! It hasn't been mento one in my case ... just extra scans at 32 and 36 weeks though these were planned due to issues in previous pregnancy rather than measuring big. The position baby is laying can make you measure big and small ... you may find next week you are back as = dates smile

blackwidow74 Fri 06-Feb-15 20:10:48

**mentioned

wintersdawn Fri 06-Feb-15 20:15:09

I measured 2/3 weeks ahead on both my pregnancies first was 8lbs 13oz on due date and second was induced 2 weeks early as size of first had resulted in emcs but that also involved other medical issues on my behalf, second came in at 8oz 5lbs. However the only reason they induced was my consultant happened to be on the ward when I turned up as they were going to turn me away as there is no standard procedure for inducing babies due to size.

Jaffakake Fri 06-Feb-15 20:15:44

I'm measuring big at 32 weeks, but have been consistently so & am just tracking above the line set for me on the chart the hospital produced. The midwife asked me if I was bothered & I'm really not. She's not bothered either.

I'm 5ft 4 and oh is 6ft ish. Previous baby was 8lb 9oz at 42 weeks and tall. Personally I find it a little odd that conveniently it's 1cm per week - does God work in metric?!

Mw said the scan can suggest a weight for baby but it can be 1lb either way! I have no other signs anything is wrong so I'm going to see what happens. Next time we'll plot it on the graph & if it stays consistent I'm happy to just leave it rather than invite intervention.

Jaffakake Fri 06-Feb-15 20:17:16

Oh yeah baby's lying across rather than head down, bum in the air. Also I think my mw is a bit rubbish with the tape too!

Buttwing Fri 06-Feb-15 20:22:14

Midwives don't class you as measuring big unless it's more than 3 cms bigger than your weeks. With dc4 I was measuring 49cms at 39 weeks! My dc3 was 10lb8 so I was expecting an 11 pounder but he was a very petite 8lb10.
I really wouldn't worry so many things can cause you to be a couple of cms either way extra water, growth spurt, how strong your stomach muscles are.
They certainly wouldn't induce you for it I begged them for an induction as I was so nervous and despite them telling me the baby was a whopper they were reluctant to agree in the end we compromised and they agreed to induce 4 days after due date.
I didn't need it in the end as he came on his due date smile

NickyEds Fri 06-Feb-15 20:33:40

I measured 2cm big at around 30 weeks and had to go for a scan. It was fine- I was probably bloatedblush. Ds went to term and weighed a tiny 6lb 5 oz. The sonographer said I shouldn't really have been there and that measuring a bump with tape is notoriously inaccurate.

cookielove Fri 06-Feb-15 20:34:18

I measured big the whole way through, and ds always measured a long thigh bone so we were expecting him to be huge . Unfortunately i didn't make it to term and had ds six weeks early and although he was small he was good weight 5lb 4oz!

krisskross Fri 06-Feb-15 20:39:58

Hi, I measured big with both of mine...with my son (my first dc) the midwife and doctors went on about it so much I was expecting a ten pounder at the very least! I had scans with both at 36 weeks. It was all totally fine. Both babies born naturally a few days late with no complications. Hope it goes well for you. Aaah mine are 5 and 7 now....miss those lovely chubby babies.

Chocoholic26 Fri 06-Feb-15 21:25:45

Thanks ladies, feel a little less apprehensive now smile xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: