Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Flu/cold during pregnancy

(17 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Fri 06-Feb-15 16:18:40

Hello ladies,

First time in pregnant, I've got a bad cold today. Slight headache, sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes no energy.

My doctors are totally useless to be honest, they either don't answer there phones or rude, & don't give call backs or appointments! Arghhh!

Just need to know what I can take for this. Obviously when I wasn't pregnant I would have paracetamol but midwife told me to avoid that.

Any help would be appreciated x

weelamb123 Fri 06-Feb-15 19:06:35

Yes, paracetamol is absolutely fine. Just take 2 at a time. Ive had two terrible colds during this pregnancy and I felt like I had flu! Just awful. Take care xx

HazleNutt Fri 06-Feb-15 19:19:22

paracetamol is fine, no idea what your midwife was talking about.

Orangedaisy Fri 06-Feb-15 19:22:35

Just make sure you stick to bog standard paracetemol. Cold and flu remedies etc tend to have caffeine and decongestant in as well, both of which are definitely not allowed. Hope you feel better soon.

MumToBe2015R Sat 07-Feb-15 10:18:54

Thank you ladies for the advice.

Probably going to sound very stupid now, by what does 'bog standard Paracetamol' mean? ��

HazleNutt Sat 07-Feb-15 10:27:56

a medicine that contains only paracetamol - so like this one,
www.boots.com/en/Boots-Paracetamol-Tablets-500mg-16-Tablets_228844/
but not this.
www.boots.com/en/Beechams-Flu-Plus-Caplets-24-Pack-Paracetamol-Caffeine-Phenylephrine-Hydrochloride_11549/

Jaffakake Sat 07-Feb-15 10:29:53

Vaporub and Olbas Oil are fine too.

HeyMicky Sat 07-Feb-15 10:33:23

You can use some nasal sprays; ask the pharmacist. Also try sniffing salt water - gross but will clean out the junk from your sinuses.

I have a cold at the moment, and I took one decongestant last night so I could sleep - I'm third trimester though and any studies relate to use in the first 12 weeks

Showy Sat 07-Feb-15 10:35:44

In future, bear in mind that what can I take in pregnancy questions aren't for a GP unless you have an illness which requires a visit. Your local pharmacist can give you this information easily.

Paracetamol, fluids, rest, steam, tlc. Just like any other cold. It's miserable being ill when pregnant and not knowing what to do or who to ask. Get well soon.

MumToBe2015R Sat 07-Feb-15 11:20:32

Thank you xx

Horseradishes Sat 07-Feb-15 11:35:45

I agree it's horrible, but paracetamol is fine, vapour rub too and plain strepsils. Why not pop to your pharmacy and ask what they can give you? My local Sainsbury has a great pharmacy and they loaded me up with over the counter medicines suitable in pregnancy.

daluze Sat 07-Feb-15 12:42:01

As others said, paracetamol is safe. If uou have fever, make sure, your temperature does not go above 38, because high temperatures are dangerous for baby. If paracetamol is not enough to keep temperature down, contact the doctor. Hope you feel better soon!

MumToBe2015R Sun 08-Feb-15 22:37:57

Thank you for all the replies. I was really unwell last night in which case I called 111 & they were very helpful, booked me an appointment with out of hours doctor. Doctor said I had border line temperature 37.7. He also advised me to carry on with paracetamol & prescribed me Amoxicillin as I had bacteria infection. Urine was also checked but that was all fine. Blood pressure was also fine. Only after 3 Amoxicillin tabs for far I am feeling much better.

Would you advise me to carry on the Amoxicillin course for 7 days or as I'm better should just finish taking them?

Just worry its all going to the baby.

Thank you x

Caterina99 Sun 08-Feb-15 22:42:21

Definitely finish taking the antibiotic course.

MumToBe2015R Sun 08-Feb-15 22:45:14

Thanks Caterina99 my DH suggests the same too x

daluze Mon 09-Feb-15 11:14:21

Definitely finish antibiotics - it is more dangerous to start and not finish, as it could lead to drug resistant bacterial infection and need of stronger antibiotics. Amoxicillin is safe during pregnancy, including the first trimester. I actually had to take it myself when ~6 weeks pregnant and did a bit of research before starting taking it. Glad you feel better and got the right treatment.

Irelephant Mon 09-Feb-15 11:18:19

Your allowed codeine OP short term in most pregnancys unless you have an underlying condition. Try honey in your tea if your coughing/have a bad throat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: