Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Praise for EPU

(9 Posts)
butterflygirl1515 Fri 06-Feb-15 16:18:36

Hi all,

Just wanted to write in praise of my local NHS EPU.

This is my first pregnancy (aged 37) and am only 4/5 weeks gone. Started having brown discharge (sorry for tmi) on Mon which by Wed had become thick dark brown and was having period type pains.

I called the EPU but they were closed so got an emergency appt with my GP surgery. The duty dr didnt examine me or offer any tests just advised I wait and see what happened over next few days and to take a home preg test to see if I was still pregnant. He asked if I still felt pregnant which upset me a bit as how do you tell in the early stages. He said if it became a heavy red bleed then to assume it was a miscariage and if not then it could be an implantation bleed. I didnt sleep that night for the worry as it could go either way.

I did a preg test on Thurs and got positive and the pains were still there and bleeding was heavier and dark brown. So I called the EPU and they said to come straight in. I did and the nurse couldnt have been more helpful. She took blood tests as thought I was too early for a scan. Called up for results a few hrs later and levels were high so was asked to come in for a scan the next day (this morning). The EPU doctor was lovely and explained everything about the scan. He was 95% sure he could see the gestational sac in the womb (showed me it on the screen) and is going to scan me again on tues to confirm 100% as it will be larger and easier to confirm then. He said that some women experience bleeding at 4/5 weeks but I did the right thing in being checked out in case of a poss ectopic pregnancy.

So going to the EPU has put my mind at rest and I will now be able to sleep, thank goodness.

Had I of followed the GP advice and just waited I would have been left wondering if I was still pregnant or not till the 12 week scan in mid March!!

applecore0317 Fri 06-Feb-15 16:40:36

Glad you are being monitored, and fingers crossed for a healthy pregnancy smile

Littlehopeful Fri 06-Feb-15 17:23:41

I'm glad your mind is at rest. Your GP is silly to tell you to take another test.

Wishing you lots of luck in your pregnancy flowers

Crystal049 Sat 07-Feb-15 09:14:42

This happened to me at 12 weeks, apparently at 4,8 and 12 weeks some women bleed due to hormone levels dropping at the time you would have had your period. I have bright red bleeding, no pain but went to A&E and all was good after having a scan the next day at EPU - I understand that worry! There's nothing like it x

butterflygirl1515 Sun 08-Feb-15 09:20:45

Thanks.

The awful all consuming worry has gone now.

It will be good to have the followup scan on Tues tho im not worried about it as I do feel still pregnant and the brown bleeding has stopped. So it must have been implantation.

lavender20 Sun 08-Feb-15 17:31:12

Also used the EPU in my city and they were fantastic.

butterflygirl1515 Tue 10-Feb-15 11:13:44

Just had the rescan and all is fine :-) The gestational sac has doubled in size since Friday and is in the right place. The doctor even told me which ovary I concieved from!! Am so pleased I got checked at the EPU so now I can relax and not worry that I had lost the pregnancy. Looking forward to Midwife appt and 12 week scan now. Am 5weeks+3 along.

Littlehopeful Tue 10-Feb-15 11:39:14

Congrats smile

coastergirl Tue 10-Feb-15 12:31:16

Really glad you had a good experience! I did too. I had bleeding pretty much throughout the first trimester, until around 9 weeks. The EPU scanned me at 5.5 and 8.5 weeks, and couldn't have been more reassuring. I'm now 34+3!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: