Talk

Advanced search

Praise for EPU

(9 Posts)
butterflygirl1515 Fri 06-Feb-15 16:18:36

Hi all,

Just wanted to write in praise of my local NHS EPU.

This is my first pregnancy (aged 37) and am only 4/5 weeks gone. Started having brown discharge (sorry for tmi) on Mon which by Wed had become thick dark brown and was having period type pains.

I called the EPU but they were closed so got an emergency appt with my GP surgery. The duty dr didnt examine me or offer any tests just advised I wait and see what happened over next few days and to take a home preg test to see if I was still pregnant. He asked if I still felt pregnant which upset me a bit as how do you tell in the early stages. He said if it became a heavy red bleed then to assume it was a miscariage and if not then it could be an implantation bleed. I didnt sleep that night for the worry as it could go either way.

I did a preg test on Thurs and got positive and the pains were still there and bleeding was heavier and dark brown. So I called the EPU and they said to come straight in. I did and the nurse couldnt have been more helpful. She took blood tests as thought I was too early for a scan. Called up for results a few hrs later and levels were high so was asked to come in for a scan the next day (this morning). The EPU doctor was lovely and explained everything about the scan. He was 95% sure he could see the gestational sac in the womb (showed me it on the screen) and is going to scan me again on tues to confirm 100% as it will be larger and easier to confirm then. He said that some women experience bleeding at 4/5 weeks but I did the right thing in being checked out in case of a poss ectopic pregnancy.

So going to the EPU has put my mind at rest and I will now be able to sleep, thank goodness.

Had I of followed the GP advice and just waited I would have been left wondering if I was still pregnant or not till the 12 week scan in mid March!!

applecore0317 Fri 06-Feb-15 16:40:36

Glad you are being monitored, and fingers crossed for a healthy pregnancy smile

Littlehopeful Fri 06-Feb-15 17:23:41

I'm glad your mind is at rest. Your GP is silly to tell you to take another test.

Wishing you lots of luck in your pregnancy flowers

Crystal049 Sat 07-Feb-15 09:14:42

This happened to me at 12 weeks, apparently at 4,8 and 12 weeks some women bleed due to hormone levels dropping at the time you would have had your period. I have bright red bleeding, no pain but went to A&E and all was good after having a scan the next day at EPU - I understand that worry! There's nothing like it x

butterflygirl1515 Sun 08-Feb-15 09:20:45

Thanks.

The awful all consuming worry has gone now.

It will be good to have the followup scan on Tues tho im not worried about it as I do feel still pregnant and the brown bleeding has stopped. So it must have been implantation.

lavender20 Sun 08-Feb-15 17:31:12

Also used the EPU in my city and they were fantastic.

butterflygirl1515 Tue 10-Feb-15 11:13:44

Just had the rescan and all is fine :-) The gestational sac has doubled in size since Friday and is in the right place. The doctor even told me which ovary I concieved from!! Am so pleased I got checked at the EPU so now I can relax and not worry that I had lost the pregnancy. Looking forward to Midwife appt and 12 week scan now. Am 5weeks+3 along.

Littlehopeful Tue 10-Feb-15 11:39:14

Congrats smile

coastergirl Tue 10-Feb-15 12:31:16

Really glad you had a good experience! I did too. I had bleeding pretty much throughout the first trimester, until around 9 weeks. The EPU scanned me at 5.5 and 8.5 weeks, and couldn't have been more reassuring. I'm now 34+3!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: