Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Water infection early pregnancy

(8 Posts)
Littlehopeful Fri 06-Feb-15 08:31:27

I am 10 weeks pregnant and received a letter off my MW last week telling me I have a water infection an they have contacted my doctors to send me a prescription.

A week later no prescription has come an I have rang my doctors every day since receiving the letter to either make an appointment or just pick up a prescription.

Can this make me lose my baby the fact I'm getting no treatment? How can they not give me a prescription when my midwife requested one for me?

Really worried

madwomanacrosstheroad Fri 06-Feb-15 08:42:22

They are probably referring to a urinary tract infection. Why dont you contact your midwife to clarify and until you get a prescription make sure you drink lots of water and herbal teas(ask in a health food shop which teas are safe in pregnancy). Cranberry juice is good as well. If it is mild this may flush the infection out and the s gentler than antibiotics which will be likely to cause thrush.....
It is ver unlikely to cause problems to the baby so early on
Also if it was a severe UTI you would definitely know due to pain and feeling seriously unwell.

Littlehopeful Fri 06-Feb-15 08:50:06

I contracted my midwife an she said she will resend the letter sad
I'm going to drink loads of water and cranberry juice and eat cucumber and yoghurt (apparently they help) until I finally get an appointment.
If I get pains I think I will go to the local walk in but from experience they're pretty useless. Just need to hope it doesn't affect the pregnancy. My mums told me to stop being a wuss haha but everything is very new to me.

Littlehopeful Fri 06-Feb-15 08:51:48

I contacted not contracted oops. Thanks for your reply by the way how rude of me

SilverStars Fri 06-Feb-15 08:52:26

A walk in centre can dip a urine sample and prescribe antibiotics the same as a a gp doing it from a midwife letter - only difference is you will get them the day you go to a walk in centre!!

Littlehopeful Fri 06-Feb-15 08:55:07

My local walk in centre last time I had a uti wouldn't give me a prescription and said my doctor will or go to a&e and they will. I would never go to a&e without genuinely needing to that really put me off them.

SilverStars Fri 06-Feb-15 17:00:31

How strange. Our walk in centre has gp's who can write prescriptions.

Littlehopeful Fri 06-Feb-15 17:19:10

I think it's because I have an array of health issues they didn't feel comfortable.

I went anyway an they told me to go to my GP again - waste of time missed a family funeral for nothing. Now it's giving me anxiety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now