Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

No real symptoms at 6/7 weeks...

(23 Posts)
Allstoppedup Thu 05-Feb-15 15:37:08

So with DS1 at 6 weeks I was in the throes of Hyperemesis, had painful rock solid boobs and generally 'felt' pregnant.

Aside from a few very brief moments of mild, barely there nausea early on, a few crampy period like pains and (tmi) a lot of discharge, I don't have any symptoms. I was expecting to start getting more as my pregnancy progressed but if anything I have had less episodes of nausea this week than last. I was also starving hungry last week but that seems to have gone too.

To make matters worse I consulted Google and found that if you had severe nausea with your first pregnancy you are 70% likely to have it in subsequent ones so I'm stressing a great deal that I will have waited 12 weeks and there is no baby/I've suffered a mmc.

We can't really afford a private scan and realistically that won't change the outcome anyway.

Has anyone else had virtually no symptoms with their second? Any advice on how to deal with my anxiety? X

Allstoppedup Thu 05-Feb-15 15:48:04

Bump

Novia Thu 05-Feb-15 19:16:00

Hiya - didn't want to leave you unanswered. Just to say, sounds pretty normal. Every pregnancy is different and I know friends with totally different pregnancies comparing 1st to 2nd. I'm 7 weeks pregnant and also have no symptoms apart from being tired, mild stomach cramps and hunger.

weelamb123 Thu 05-Feb-15 19:21:08

I didn't feel pregnant until hyperemesis kicked in at 8 weeks. Its just the calm before the storm probably xx

HangingInAGruffaloStance Thu 05-Feb-15 19:29:19

Sounds normal to me.

Allstoppedup Thu 05-Feb-15 19:35:25

Thanks for the reassurance everyone!

weelamb when I first found out I was pregnant again I was terrified of getting Hyperemesis again, I can't believe I'm actually lamenting not feeling sick! shock

Hodds89 Thu 05-Feb-15 19:37:59

I feel exactly the same i suffered alot with first pg ... Im 5-6 weeks and all i am is tierd!!! Have docs monday so hoping he will confirm im actual pg (4 pos tests havnt proved it to me!!! X

Allstoppedup Thu 05-Feb-15 19:59:13

Hodds glad it's not just me! I've done about a million tests and they are getting darker but that still doesn't help!

I just wake up every morning hoping for a snifter of symptoms!

Good luck with your appointment! X

BallroomWithNoBalls Thu 05-Feb-15 20:31:01

Just for a balanced view, I don't want to scare you but just a different experience..

I had hyperemesis with my first too, and had an unsuccessful pregnancy afterwards which went until 12 weeks with hardly any symptoms - I had lost the baby between 6 and 7 weeks, a missed miscarriage.

I fell pregnant again within a few months and happily had hyperemesis again! And a healthy pregnancy so far at 23 weeks.

Sorry to be the voice of negativity but I think it's good to hear different experiences - stay positive but be prepared for the worst. And don't be afraid to go to your epu for a scan if you're at all worried.

Fingers crossed for a sticky one for you xx

Allstoppedup Thu 05-Feb-15 21:32:10

Thanks ballroom, it's almost good to know that I'm not being irrationality anxious!

I'm very sorry to hear about your mmc. I am very scared of that happening. It must be devastating. Congratulations on your latest pregnancy. flowers

I'm really struggling to be positive and keep my mind off it. I'm usually fairly pragmatic and no what will be will be but I have fertility issues and fell pregnant much quicker than we were expecting so it almost feels too good to be true!

BallroomWithNoBalls Thu 05-Feb-15 21:42:51

I paid for a private scan (£100 most places) at 8.5 weeks this time as apparently if you hear a heartbeat then, the chances of miscarriage go down to a minuscule amount - most miscarriages do occur in the first few weeks - so if you're worrying, you could book one. Or if your epu are more helpful than mine were you could ask for an early scan? Mine said if you've had 3 miscarriages they will give you an early scan - what like one wasn't bad enough?! hmm

X

Allstoppedup Thu 05-Feb-15 21:54:04

Thanks. I had an early private scan with DS and it was £65 because he was a total surprise and we had no idea how far along I was!

Then I had another scan at 6 weeks when I was hospitalized with HG.

Part of me thinks an early scan would put my mind at rest but we don't have much spare cash at the moment and £65 could be used more wisely.

BallroomWithNoBalls Thu 05-Feb-15 21:57:48

If you don't ask, you don't get - speak to a sympathetic midwife? Different epu's work differently but mine you needed a doctor referral. Some I know you can just turn up to. But 8.5 weeks is when to aim for - nothing unfortunately is guaranteed before that.

flippyflapper Thu 05-Feb-15 22:09:53

With my first I was sick I felt bloody awful.

Second didn't feel sick till about 8 weeks and hardly any nausea and no sick at all. Could of easily carried on normal didn't feel pregnant at all no symptoms

Third felt horrendous from 7 weeks that peaked at 8 weeks and stopped and that was it.

All perfect healthy babies. smile enjoy not feeling sick. I did call epu and did get a scan as I was so worried too was very reassuring smile

Allstoppedup Thu 05-Feb-15 22:12:12

Will do! I still don't know exactly how far along I am due to not having periods/ no obvious ovulation signs so I MAY just play on that and see if I can get an earlier scan based on the notion I might be much further along!

Thanks for your advice! I will speak to my midwife asap.

Glossyflower Thu 05-Feb-15 23:56:48

Hi Allstopped.
I know we have talked before on the October thread.
I am in the same position as you.
Severe HG with first, knew about it very early on.
Now on my second only 5 weeks and barely any nausea or other symptoms. I felt sick the other night after drinking hot milk and that was as bad as it got.
Yesterday I thought it may be starting as I was being sensitive to some smells, but today nothing.
It's a good sign your tests are getting darker though.
Let us know if you get your scan. Xxx

Currentlyclueless Fri 06-Feb-15 07:27:56

I've got no symptoms .. Never have I'm 9+5 had to have a scan last week because wasn't sure how far I was and seen a heart beat.

My sister had no symptoms with her last pregnancy(twins) they're now 2 months old and fabulous.

Don't worry not everyone has symptoms and you can have symptoms and unfortunately still lose the baby sad I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck and congrats flowers

Allstoppedup Fri 06-Feb-15 14:35:26

Thanks!

Hi glossy I remember you saying about your HG on the other thread.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! - I definitely wouldn't wish HG on my worst enemy but as strange as it sounds I DID find the constant nausea reassuring! I just really hope everything is going as it should for all of us!

I did one of my cheapy Amazon bought pregnancy tests again this morning and it INSTANTLY went to a very strong positive so obviously my levels are increasing- I know that it doesn't necessarily mean anything but it helps reassure me a little bit that I'm not mad and there IS something going on in there...

BallroomWithNoBalls Fri 06-Feb-15 14:39:40

I've just remembered - a friend of mine wasn't sick much at all in her first successful pregnancy but was very sick (wasn't hospitalised or diagnosed with hg but very sick) second time round and miscarried around 12 weeks!

So really there is no way of knowing. To be honest - I don't want to take away what's reassuring you - but I had positive tests for ages after miscarrying.

It was absolutely zero comfort but my MiL did say following my MC that at least in the old days you wouldn't even know you were pregnant until a good couple of months after we currently do! No comfort but true nonetheless. Time drags like nothing on earth in the first trimester.

Are you going to bug them for an early scan?

Allstoppedup Fri 06-Feb-15 14:47:33

Ahh, I know there are no guarantees. It's more of a silly 'placebo' reassurance than anything concrete. I think just seeing it go from a very pale line developing over 5 minutes to a strong positive in seconds shows that at least hormones are rising, no proof of a sticky bean but still...grin

I'm away visiting family now and will go to the midwife as soon as I am home and see what happens re. the scan.

I do wish I'd not found out this early- but I guess its good that my wine intake has been reduced (to nil!) Usually visiting my insane family results in a need to hit the bottle hard grin

sebsmummy1 Fri 06-Feb-15 14:47:49

I had no symptoms with DS, this pregnancy has been totally different with lots of relentless nausea, started about 6/7 weeks I think.

Try not to overthink it although I totally understand why your worried. I had an early scan a week ago at 9 weeks and it definitely have me huge peace of mind.

sebsmummy1 Fri 06-Feb-15 14:48:20

* you're

PossumPoo Fri 06-Feb-15 15:03:33

And l don't want to be the voice of doom either but l had a private scan at 8w3d and lovely strong heartbeat. MC at 8w6d.

I'm pregnant again and would love to have an early scan but I know unfortunately it won't put my mind at ease so no point.

I will say though l had absolutely no symptoms with dd, my boobs didn't hurt, l never had to wee all the time etc (even at 8 months pregnant l was sleeping through! )

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: