Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Feeling faint / light headed

(6 Posts)
BeforeIChangeMyMind Thu 05-Feb-15 09:43:04

Just added to my mixed bag of symptoms with faintness / severe light-headed episode yesterday. I didn't actually faint but came pretty close and had to really will myself home from work. Today I don't feel as bad, but weird, and like I want to stay close to home.

Is there anything I can do except wait for it to pass? I should say that this is DC2, I had similar last time, although later (then 34ish weeks, currently 25ish) and had LOTS of tests including ECG and there was no obvious explanation.

My midwife says it's likely low blood pressure due to blood vessels expanding and it should pass by 28 weeks. I also have a cold so wonder if it's dealing-with-a-virus-related.

I will take better care of myself (taking breaks, drinking more) etc, but I'd really like to be able to get on with normal life too.

Anyone have any tips/solutions. I'd be really grateful.

blankfornames Thu 05-Feb-15 10:23:33

Hi Before. I had a few nearly fainting episodes with this pregnancy. I was told that it may have been dehydration and told to up my intake of water. I also started to take iron tablets. Anyway, one of these things worked for me as I never experienced them since then. I'm now 38 weeks.

Hope you feel better soon. They can be frightening when they happen.

BeforeIChangeMyMind Thu 05-Feb-15 16:31:38

Thanks for your response blankfornames my midwife also recommended drinking more and eating more protein. I'm feeling better this PM (after a dodgy morning) so may make it into work tomorrow. It's such a trek though, I'm not looking forward to it. Still, it is Friday. smile

geekymommy Thu 05-Feb-15 16:47:58

I've been getting dizziness in this pregnancy (now 16 weeks). Bending down and then coming up, or sitting down then getting up, seems to make it worse, especially if those motions are repeated. I've had to have DH do the job of picking up DD's toys, since the bending down and standing up required for that tends to make me dizzy (we are trying to teach DD to pick up her toys, but she's 2.5 and that's a long process). You weren't doing anything like that, were you?

Dogsmom Thu 05-Feb-15 19:32:00

I had exactly the same, dizziness, blurry vision, feeling faint and almost passing out, my 28 week bloods showed my iron levels were borderline low.
Within a few days of being on iron tablets I felt fine and haven't had another funny turn in the past 8 weeks, I'm also sleeping better and breathing easier.

It was the doc who put me on the tablets but according to the mw my results were just above what they usually class as low and she wouldn't have put me on them but said they wouldn't do any harm, I'm so glad the doc disagreed as they've made a huge difference, it may be worth getting your own supplements from the chemist until you get your 28 week bloods done, it wont harm the baby and could really help you.

scarletslass Thu 05-Feb-15 23:29:36

Another recommendation for iron tablets here, I had the same thing (colleague had to stop me falling over) but i feel a million times better since getting them. Get the highest dose you can if you can't get a prescription yet, and have lots of vitamin c to aid absorption too.

And there's no point struggling into work for just a Friday, keep your sofa company smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: