Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Induction question? Bit long but really in pain!

(8 Posts)
MrsCs Wed 04-Feb-15 14:10:12

I am currently 33+4 with my second (definitely last) child. I have severe SPD, which I also had in my first pregnancy. I can only be on my feet for a few metres and lifting my toddler hurts like crazy, if I can do it all sometimes. I also have to use all fours to climb our stairs (pretty embarrassing).

My mother also had the condition and was induced at 38 weeks with her forth pregnancy. I'm considering asking for the same thing (given the extent of the damage last time I don't think there would be much opposition medically) but I feel so guilty!

With my first pregnancy I was induced on my due date. The birth was uncomplicated and fine but permanent damage was already done to my pelvis. I can't do more than gentle exercise (I did before) and this time round my body appears to be giving up a lot faster.

I so desperately love the idea of letting baby arrive at the time nature intended but my mobility is reducing so quickly it's scary. I need help getting up, getting out of the bath and family members are helping while my husband is at work.

Am I a terrible person if I get induced a bit early?

Number3cometome Wed 04-Feb-15 14:12:05

38 weeks is fine, anything earlier would be wrong unless there was an issue with the baby.

It's horrid I know, had it with DD and was on crutches.

I found visiting the osteopath once a week for some manipulation provided a few day's worth of relief.

MrsCs Wed 04-Feb-15 14:19:40

I can't seem to manage crutches right, sounds bizarre but the physio tried for half an hour to teach me! I have no coordination.

It's just so painful isn't it?

Jodie1982 Wed 04-Feb-15 14:19:47

I'm being induced for PGP and also the fact I don't want to go over due as I make big babies (10lb+) I'm being induced at 39+6, 13th feb. My consultant wouldn't agree to do it any earlier, so I'm having to struggle on till then, also have other children one of which is only 2yrs old.
Speak to a consultant you may get lucky. Good luck

Jacamaar Wed 04-Feb-15 20:33:12

when i was expecting my 4th baby i could barley move by 34 weeks due to spd.
I saw the consultant and just told her that i could not take the pain anymore and she just said okay and induced me at 37 weeks.
I thought i was going to have to fight for early induction but she was great.
Good job he was induced really as he weighed 9lb 2 at 37+1.
Hopefully you will have an understanding consultant.

Babytinx11 Mon 09-Feb-15 22:04:45

I'm being induced Wednesday at 37+2 due to kidney issues so a very different reason but there is no harm at all in talking to your consultant about induction a bit early. Fingers crossed for you hope all goes well

clmum8583 Tue 10-Feb-15 13:53:48

Bless you - its awful.
Im a mw and the truth is that it will entirely depend on the consultant you see; some are happy to induce any time from 37 weeks but others will make you struggle on until 41 weeks - i've seen both extremes.
Good luck - hope your consultant is nice!

Zsazsabinks Tue 10-Feb-15 13:59:54

Don't feel guilty! Baby has plenty of time to mature at 38 weeks, not a lot of growing or anything happens after then does it? Baby's just hanging on in there at that point.

Also, you are a person not a baby vessel, and you have to make a decision based on your whole family, not just the incubating one.

x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: