Talk

Advanced search

Struggling to breathe

(5 Posts)
avocadotoast Wed 04-Feb-15 08:28:16

I'm finding recently that I have times where I really struggle to get my breath properly (my chest feels tight and compressed, like my lungs can't fill up properly).

I'm 25 weeks so I figure this is quite normal as baby gets bigger - I know my instructor at pregnancy yoga said it's basically because the baby pushes up against the diaphragm, so there's not enough room for it to move up and down.

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with it? I don't know if it's something that can be managed, whether there's any exercises to do to make it better. It seems to be worse on a morning but can kick in on an afternoon too.

Jodie1982 Wed 04-Feb-15 08:31:15

I experience the tight compressed feeling when getting strong Braxton Hicks contractions. Breathlessness has been happening a lot with me due to low Iron Levels, have yours been checked recently?

avocadotoast Wed 04-Feb-15 08:41:38

No not recently, my midwife did say she'd be taking blood to check anaemia etc at my next appt though (that's in two weeks, so I can always mention it then). My blood pressure was low for a time so I wondered if it was due to that, but it seems to have gone back to normal now.

Dogsmom Wed 04-Feb-15 10:30:28

Is your baby breech?
I had it quite badly with dd1 who was dd1 until 38 weeks because her head was wedged under my ribs, I also struggle a bit with this one too although she's head down, I think it's normal in pregnancy as everything gets squashed up as the baby grows.
I saw a video once showing how your stomach and intestines were squashed up as the baby grew, it was fascinating and a little bit worrying!!

I don't know of any exercises that help but I find I can ease it a bit if I lie down and stretch out although it's only a temporary solution while I catch my breath and not possible to do in the supermarket smile

Dogsmom Wed 04-Feb-15 10:32:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvziGJEPQjU

This isn't the one I saw but gives you a good idea.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: