Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Maclaren Techno XT for a newborn

(8 Posts)
purplebiro Tue 03-Feb-15 17:16:09

Have decided that a Maclaren Techno XT is the one for baby due in June for several reasons - not least because I got a very good condition 2nd hand one last week for £20!

I have heard some people have misgivings about using them for newborns and I intend to sling anyway for the first few months but I would like the option to use the buggy too and wondered if I needed any additional accessories on top of what I have - which I think is the fairly basic frame and hood. I have a cozy toes but someone mentioned something about a head rest? Anything else?

NancyRaygun Tue 03-Feb-15 17:37:01

YES! I love Maclarens - travel systems are a complete waste of money IMO. I used my Techno XT from day 1 and the newborns (went through 2 babies) were cosy and safe. It folds flat so perfect for newborn and better than them being shunted around all day in the car seat. I didn't use the head rest but I did buy a sheepskin. smile

TouchPauseEngage Tue 03-Feb-15 17:38:19

Watching this with interest so thanks for posting op. I'm looking at baby jogger which, like the mclaren only goes almost flat.

GoooRooo Tue 03-Feb-15 18:14:47

I have an XT, which I bought when DS was about 8 months. I had a Graco Symbio before that. I personally wouldn't have used it from newborn, although I know they can be - because it doesn't face both ways, only outward facing and I liked being able to see the baby.

It will do the job though!

Notyourbestfriendanymore Tue 03-Feb-15 18:20:19

I used the Maclaren Techno XT for DC2, doing away with the travel system we used for DC1, and to be perfectly honest I found it a pain to transfer baby between car seat and push chair rather than just being able to keep the baby in the car seat. Maclaren's also tip backwards very easily when there is only a tiny baby in there as they hardly weigh anything.

Now pg with DC3 and I'm looking at getting a lightweight pushchair which I can use car seat adapters with and use as a travel system such as the new Out n About Little Nipper, or the Babyjogger City Mini, and will be getting rid of the old Maclaren!

nottheOP Tue 03-Feb-15 18:23:45

You can get a carrycot, same for the bjcm.

I got the bjcm but only used the carrycot for 3 months really. Makes it rear facing for the newborn stage though

GoooRooo Tue 03-Feb-15 18:31:01

Oh well there you go, shows what I know grin the carry cot is a good option. I still wouldn't personally because the thought of transfering a sleeping tiny baby from car seat to buggy and back again fills me with dread, but if I were only using public transport I might consider it. I think the sheepskin sounds lovely and cosy!

purplebiro Wed 04-Feb-15 11:53:16

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: