Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Weight gain :-(

(6 Posts)
boatrace30 Mon 02-Feb-15 11:59:43

Hi, everyone keeps telling me not to worry but I am getting extremely anxious about weight gain.
I'm 22weeks pregnant, and so far have gained 8kg (17lb). Until 4 weeks ago I was gaining a 'normal' amount (I put on 2-3kg in the first trimester, and then gained at half a kilo (1lb) a week. But in the last four weeks I have been gaining over 1kilo (2lbs) each week.
I haven't been eating much more than normal, and while I have exercised less than pre-pregnancy I lead a relatively active lifestyle. BMI was the top end of normal (24) before I became pregnant.
I just wanted to ask, is it normal to have spurts of weight gain? (this is my first pregnancy) - my bump does seem to get bigger by the day! Is it likely to calm down, or do I need to try and be even more careful with food/exercise.

boatrace30 Mon 02-Feb-15 12:07:43

For some reason my original post seems to be missing! (Or I am about to duplicate)

Anyway, I have been told my friends etc. not to worry but I am getting very anxious about weight gain.
I am 22 weeks pregnant and have gained 8kilos (17lbs). Until 4 weeks ago I was gaining wright within guidelines. I gained about 2-3kg in the first trimester (needed to eat to stop feeling nauseous) and then was gaining at approx. 1lb a week (half a kilo). In the last few weeks the weight has been piling on, over 2lbs a week (1kg+). I've not eaten much more than normal and while I used to exercise more, I am reasonably active.

I just wanted to ask (this is a first pregnancy) is uneven weight gain like this normal? Am I just having a growth spurt (my bump is getting bigger by the day). Or, do I need to really start to try and manage it by being more careful with eating/exercise.

heliotrope Mon 02-Feb-15 15:05:40

I am 26 weeks and have gained 2st from similar starting bmi. It is more than guidelines say ( or at top end) but that is how my body does pregnancy ( fourth time round). I put on back and arm fat and boobs expand too, as well as good bump. I would like to gain a bit less but the fat stores will convert to milk for baby. It cones off easily to a point (6months ish) then I have to make a bit of effort to eat fewer cakes to get back (nearly) to my ideal weight.
I wouldn't worry about it if you are eating a reasonable diet. Everyone's different x

Happilymarried155 Mon 02-Feb-15 16:44:48

I wouldn't worry too much, you will gain what you need to gain as long as you are eating properly. Everyone is different. I'm now 39 weeks and have only put on a stone despite having a terrible sweet tooth. All pregnancies are different x

sebsmummy1 Mon 02-Feb-15 16:49:35

With my sons pregnancy I think input on 2 stone overall. But I know people who put on four! For me the key was my arms and legs. If they had got bigger alongside my tummy i think that would have concerned me. As it was my arms and legs didn't change.

This time though I am nearly 10 weeks and my appetite is ridiculous so I just know I'm going to struggle. The only thing that makes me feel less queasy is eating!!

boatrace30 Mon 02-Feb-15 21:12:12

Thanks everyone! I was exactly the same in first trimester. Had to eat to feel less queasy! Mostly the weight gain is all boobs and bump. Maybe a little on legs and arms but not much, I think that is more flab from exercising less.
Didn't help today though when a colleague said "gosh, you are big for five months!"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: