Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I think I'm miscarrying

(19 Posts)
Twinklelittlestar1 Mon 02-Feb-15 03:02:43

Hi all,

I feel like my world is in turmoil right now and could do with some help/ support/ advice.

Last Monday I found out I was pregnant with my first child. It was the biggest shock of my life as it wasn't planned and my partner and I have only been together for eight months, although we do live together, are fully committed to one another and have discussed having kids in the future. Having said all that, the pregnancy came as such a massive shock to both of us.

I take a small dose of Citalopram (10mg) to control my anxiety disorder and after a visit to the GP he ordered me to pretty much quit straight away. This has caused havoc with my already fragile-vulnerable-terrified state and made me into a nervous wreck.

On Thursday I noticed the start of brown spotting and have been driving myself crazy looking at the Internet to figure out if it's normal. Apparently it's perfectly normal and it isnt! The spotting has got every so slightly heavier (most of the time it's only there when I wipe but today it marked my panty liner a couple of times too). I have had some stomach aches too. I was convinced that this must be a miscarriage and took a test to see if anything had changed. I did a different brand test to the original (Tescos own) and the line was there but quite faint. No idea what any of this means but some sites seem to suggest this could mean miscarriage.

My partner and I just want to know for sure if this is a MC as then we can adjust/ readjust. I'm so stressed out.

I'm going to try to see the doctor today but I doubt I'll even be able to get in until Thursday. Even then, from what I've read it seems the GP won't really be able to tell me for sure?? It's like torture.

I've been off work since Wednesday and I'm worrying about taking more time off and what to say to work but I feel like an emotional mess right now.

Please, and words of support or advice would be so great fully received.

BigCatFace Mon 02-Feb-15 03:10:57

hand hold I'm sorry OP. Does your local hospital have an early pregnancy unit? You can self refer, tomorrow. They should be able to scan you and see what's going on x

BigCatFace Mon 02-Feb-15 03:11:05

hand hold I'm sorry OP. Does your local hospital have an early pregnancy unit? You can self refer, tomorrow. They should be able to scan you and see what's going on x

Twinklelittlestar1 Mon 02-Feb-15 03:22:37

Thanks BCF, I'll try calling tomorrow. Just want to know what's going on. Nice to think there are still people to lend support even at this crazy hour! I really should get some sleep!

Trooperslane Mon 02-Feb-15 03:54:30

See another doc - citalopram is ok I'm pregnancy though not the first choice in ads.

Take care

Trooperslane Mon 02-Feb-15 03:54:52

*in.

pullthecracker Mon 02-Feb-15 05:34:40

Trooperslane is right, citalopram is ok to have in pregnancy, babies are monitored afterwards for signs of withdrawal (although 10mg is a very low dose) , but it's thought that it's better to have that, which is very rare, than to take someone off anti depressants. Brown loss is old blood, so it may just be old blood coming away from implantation, bright red is more concerning. As others have said, ring the early pregnancy unit later today, and then you need to see another GP about the citalopram. I would carry on taking it. I'm a midwife, working with women on anti depressants every day.

Currentlyclueless Mon 02-Feb-15 08:08:44

Ring the EPU - hope you're okay.
Don't worry about 10mg citalopram it's fine flowers

Twinklelittlestar1 Mon 02-Feb-15 08:19:02

Thank you so much to all of you for your support. I'm currently trying to get in touch with the EPU. Does anyone have an insight into why a pregnancy test would come back with a faint line? many thanks

GoldfishSpy Mon 02-Feb-15 08:29:16

Twinkle, sorry you are going through this.

How dark the test is will depend on the brand of test (how sensitive it is) and how concentrated your wee is. Even if you did both tests first thing in the morning, how much liquid you drank the day before, and what you ate, will influence how dark it is. there can be a big variation day to day.

With the bleeding, in general, 'old' (brown or maroon) blood is not unusual and can happen in lots of cases, with no problems with the pregnancy. Generally, 'fresh' red blood, getting heavier, can signal a miscarriage. Crampy pains can be normal.

Try not to worry, and resign yourself to the idea you may not get an answer for several days. Try to get a scan, but bear in mind that if you are earlier than about 7 weeks, the scan may not be able to tell you if the baby is OK or not, as the heartbeat doesn't show until about 7 weeks.

All the very best for a happy ending thanks

Twinklelittlestar1 Mon 02-Feb-15 08:46:36

Thank you for all of this fantastic and reassuring advice. I think my main issue is my anxiety levels are through the roof right now and therefore causing me much unhappiness.

I'm going to try to see my GP today, not sure what he can do though. I have a psychiatrist appointment on Wednesday and I'm hoping that he'll tell me that 10mg of Citalopram is ok as I don't think I can do without sad the guilt of taking it is now stressing me out further!

flippyflapper Mon 02-Feb-15 09:39:51

Hi, I would like to reassure you citalopram is fine in pregnancy. I take 20mg and did so though out 3 of my pregnancies.

I spoke to consultants and pediatric doctors and all said absolutely fine.

When I first fell pregnant and was citalopram I was told to come off, I did as you did too. Unfortunately I suffered a mc afterwards.

When I fell pregnant again I stayed in them and breastfed no problems.

I hope everything is ok and you get seen soon.

bwow Mon 02-Feb-15 09:51:20

I had brown spotting that lasted 2 weeks, it started off as just there when wiping then was marking panty liners quite heavily. Although I didn't have stomach aches. I rang the drs they said they couldn't do anything. Even at my 8 week appointment the midwife wasn't concerned although I pressed for an early scan and got one. The spotting stopped after just over two weeks and I'm nearly full term now. I did one of those dating scans to try and put my mind at ease.

dinodiva Mon 02-Feb-15 12:54:52

I had some early spotting too, and it is so scary when it starts. You're doing absolutely the right thing by visiting your GP. I did the same and was referred to the EPU for an early scan (5.5 weeks) where they told me everything was as it should be. I feel so much more relaxed now it's been checked. I have a second scan this week to check it all again (7.6 weeks) - I have fibroids so they're keeping an eye on me. Bleeding can be SO many things other than miscarriage so try not to worry. The sooner you get to the doc, the sooner you'll get some answers.

Twinklelittlestar1 Tue 03-Feb-15 11:46:01

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your support. Unfortunately, the bleeding got a lot worse and two negative pregnancy tests have confirmed that I am miscarry ing/ have miscarried.

It's a very emotional time but I just wanted to take a moment to thank the people whose advice helped me through. X

GoooRooo Tue 03-Feb-15 11:48:44

I'm so sorry for your loss Twinkle. Be kind to yourself x

Currentlyclueless Tue 03-Feb-15 11:53:01

Oh I'm so sorry sad flowers x

squizita Tue 03-Feb-15 12:07:18

So sorry to hear this. thanks

Do see your GP - you should have a follow up scan or at least a pregnancy test after 2 weeks to ensure the loss is "complete" (speaking from experience this is important to prevent possible infection or issues).

LinzAJ Tue 03-Feb-15 12:08:16

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Like GoooRooo says, be kind to yourself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: