Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

rubella vaccine

(23 Posts)
caliopexx2015 Sun 01-Feb-15 13:57:52

Following my last pregnancy 8 years ago I was told that I was not immune to rubella. I should have gotten the vaccine straight away after the birth hut didn't. now we want another baby and I need to get vaccine but I'm so nervous and anxious over it. anyone else in the same boat? tia

ChatEnOeuf Sun 01-Feb-15 14:04:50

Not the same, I had the rubella vaccine as a teenager, no complications. It's a live vaccine so they can't give it when you're pregnant. Congenital rubella is horrid and can cause miscarriage.

curlykale Sun 01-Feb-15 14:14:44

I had the same last pregnancy...immunised as a teenager but discovered not immune when I had booking bloods done. Had mmr the day after giving birth and booster 8 weeks later. Am now immune 18 months on in pregnancy number 2. Do you have a specific concern? If you're not yet pregnant I presume you should be fine to go have it done. Not sure if there's a recommended time gap between having the jab and getting pregnant - that would be my only concern personally. Why don't you talk to your gp or nurse at the gp surgery?

caliopexx2015 Sun 01-Feb-15 14:21:16

Thank u for the replies. yes curly kale my worry is that I may harm the baby after being vaccinated. I looked on line and it says to wait for 3 months, some sites say 28 days to try to conceive, but I'm anxious - am a worrier anyway so that doesn't help sad

dementedpixie Sun 01-Feb-15 14:38:07

nhs says wait 1 month after MMR before trying to conceive.

dementedpixie Sun 01-Feb-15 14:42:58

www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/preg-guide.htm#mmr - says the risk of mmr to the baby is only theoretical but does also say to wait 4 weeks before trying to conceive

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 01-Feb-15 14:49:07

I wasn't immune in my last pregnancy so had the injection after she was born (now pregnant again accidentally so glad I did!). What is making you anxious about it? I had a slight measles rash 8 days after having it (which wasn't great 3 weeks post birth and trying to breastfeed) but otherwise it was fine.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 01-Feb-15 14:54:05

Ooh sorry just saw why you are anxious. I was told 28 days before conceiving again but that was obviously the last thing on my mind smile

Zsazsabinks Sun 01-Feb-15 22:41:34

I don't know if this helps at all, but with my first I was found to not be immune to rubella, so I had the MMR immediately after having her. Then it turns out that I still wasn't immune to it when I had DD2. Just saying that because for some people it doesn't matter how many times you have the vaccine, some people just don't develop an immunity.

(end of story is that I had another MMR after having my second baby and finally on my third I have developed immunity).

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 02-Feb-15 07:20:40

I thought that would be the case with me Zsa and was surprised this time round to find I was immune after the injection last time. Probably because I had DD so recently!

caliopexx2015 Mon 02-Feb-15 21:04:52

Thank you all for your replies. I am fearful that even if we wait more than the 3 months ttc that there could be a risk if damage or even autism. have there been any studies on mothers who have a vaccine in the same year that a child is born and the child is autistic? Apologies in advance for sounding like an anxious idiot sad

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 02-Feb-15 21:14:01

The risk of autism from the MMR has been completely discounted.

caliopexx2015 Mon 02-Feb-15 21:23:03

I know it's been discounted on kids who have the jab - both my kids have been vacinated, am wondering about if the mother receives the vacination...? thanks

Zsazsabinks Mon 02-Feb-15 22:32:48

There is absolutely no link whatsoever between autism and the MMR, anywhere. Nothing. So put autism out of your mind completely.

SoMuchForSubtlety Mon 02-Feb-15 22:36:14

There is NO link between autism and MMR. For anyone. Andrew Wakefield made it all up so he could licence his single vaccine. It's all bollocks, don't fall for it.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 03-Feb-15 07:26:02

Still no link. There was never a link between the mother receiving the injection and conceiving a baby. The reason you are told to wait to conceive after having the MMR is that rubella can be dangerous to a developing foetus and as it's a live vaccine you have to wait until it is out of your system. Nothing to do with autism.

caliopexx2015 Tue 03-Feb-15 13:17:50

Thank you for all your comments. went to the doctor today and he never heard of an adult requiring a rubella vaccine, neither had the nurse nor the pharmacist! (I live abroad by the way) so that made me a bit nervous, am so worried that the vaccine will stay in my system longer than the stated time and when we ttc in 6 months it will do harm. anyone had the vacination before ttc what advice do midwives in UK give? thanks

ChatEnOeuf Tue 03-Feb-15 13:21:03

UK/NHS advice is to wait a month. It's just to ensure the live bits of the virus have all been killed by your immune system as rubella is v harmful to a developing foetus. Nowt to do with autism, that research was unethical, flawed, and frankly a disgrace to the profession.

Most UK GPs/nurses/MWs give it as MMR rather than single rubella jab.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 03-Feb-15 13:26:26

A month.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 03-Feb-15 13:45:03

The risk to the baby of you catching rubella while pregnant if you don't have the injection is far far greater than any theoretical risk that you're imagining OP.

dabchick88 Tue 03-Feb-15 14:20:46

caliopexx2015 This was me a few weeks back. Found out when pregnant with my first that my MMR hadn't worked and told to get it again straight after birth.
The hospital forgot and then so did I for about a year.
Now starting to think about the possibility of getting pregnant again so called the docs.
You need to have the vaccine in the first 5 days of your period (so my nurse said) to ensure you are defo not pregnant already. You then cannot get pregnant for 1 month. You then need the second dose in the first 5 days of your next period and then following that cannot get pregnant for another month. Apparently it did used to be 3 months after each dose but not anymore.
It was all completely fine for me and the nurse said that if it didn't work this time then she didn't think there was much point getting it again so not to worry to much.
Hope that helps smile

caliopexx2015 Wed 11-Feb-15 20:04:10

Thank you all so much for your replies. I got the vaccination today despite the fact that neither my gp nor nurse had ever heard of an adult in this situation beforesad all done now. will be waiting a good while to try for a new baby but at least now I'm prepared. Thanks again.x

curlykale Wed 11-Feb-15 23:23:20

Good luck!smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: