Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

What is the max BMI limit for midwife led care please?

(18 Posts)
WishYouWereMine Sat 31-Jan-15 14:49:24

Hi everyone,

I realise it may be different in each area but does anyone know what the BMI is to push you over to consultant led care please?

Am trying to lose weight in order to have another baby and just don't want all the extra hassle and tests etc. just because of my weight.

Thanks in advance!

KittyandTeal Sat 31-Jan-15 14:52:01

I had a bmi of 27 at 16 weeks and they would have been happy for me to be midwife led if it wasn't for other issues.

I think it might be 29/30. Not sure though.

fattymcfatfat Sat 31-Jan-15 15:02:51

My bmi is 30 and the only thing extra I have been told of is a gtt...

iamelectrogirl Sat 31-Jan-15 15:05:58

35 round these parts (midlands)

Currentlyclueless Sat 31-Jan-15 15:07:53

Min BMI here is 17 mines 14 so consultant led
Max is 35 but could be lower if you have underlying issues

Currentlyclueless Sat 31-Jan-15 15:08:00

Liverpool by the way sorry

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 31-Jan-15 15:08:16

Definitely if over 35, some areas are if over 30.

Tbh though there is no hastle involved - consultant appointments happen in place of MW appointments, so no extra appointments unless other problems/risks than bmi. They offer you 1-2 extra growth scans (dependant on where you live) and a gtt test (blood test for gestational diabetes). You don't have to have the scans or the gtt test - you can just say no.

thatstoast Sat 31-Jan-15 15:08:26

I don't think there's a national guideline. In my area it was 35, I was midwife led all the way through pregnancy but got weighed at 41 weeks when my bmi went just over 35 and was told I couldn't give birth in the MLU as planned. I had to be induced anyway so it didn't make much difference in the end.

Currentlyclueless Sat 31-Jan-15 15:11:40

Consultant led where I live is appointments every 3/4 weeks from week 8 envy

Skeppers Sat 31-Jan-15 15:37:42

Mine is 35 (she told me that was average these days!) and they've not mentioned anything to me about anything other than MW led care. I'm also over 35 yrs old. But have no underlying or weight-related health issues and I am fit and active. It may vary area to area? Or they assess you based on personal circs?

FiRaffe Sat 31-Jan-15 16:45:01

It's bmi over 35 here, but I met the consultant and he said he'll put me straight back to being midwife led, but will give me a bonus scan at 34 weeks and check all is Ok. Had to have a GTT but at least get to see baby again - some perks!think it must just depend where you live and how you carry your weight.

nippey Sat 31-Jan-15 16:47:43

Its 35 in my area. Only thing that has been different for me so far (I'm 20 weeks) is the Gestational diabetes test and an extra scan at 34 weeks.

CultureSucksDownWords Sat 31-Jan-15 16:51:52

You may find it difficult to persuade the consultant to agree to you delivering in a midwife led unit or at home if you are consultant led. They will tend to only agree to a hospital setting, and midwife led units may well have a BMI limit as well. Worth being aware of if that's an issue for you.

ToriB34 Sat 31-Jan-15 16:53:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheyLearnedFromBrian Sat 31-Jan-15 17:02:28

You may find it difficult to persuade the consultant to agree to you delivering in a midwife led unit or at home if you are consultant led. They will tend to only agree to a hospital setting, and midwife led units may well have a BMI limit as well. Worth being aware of if that's an issue for you.

- if that's the case, remember it's always an option to cheerily state that that's fine, you don't want a hospital setting so you'll go for a homebirth thanks. Remember they can't force you TO birth anywhere, only PREVENT you from birthing in one of the non-home environments. They can't prevent you from birthing at home. You may not want a homebirth, but it's reported to be a good way to persuade hcps (in the absence of other medical issues) to compromise and allow you into the midwife-led unit.

But even if you start off in consultant care, it might not be a problem as long as you're generally fit and well - a sensible consultant might well be perfectly happy with you in the midwife unit - especially with a second baby.

JennyBlueWren Sat 31-Jan-15 17:09:01

My BMI was just under 34 but nothing said more than having extra folic acid.

Tranquilitybaby Sat 31-Jan-15 18:46:31

Over 35 at mine. Mines 36, so under consultant care.

ToniWol Sat 31-Jan-15 19:57:46

Over 35 in Hull & East Yorks. However although I was Consultant Led I only saw the Consultant once (at my request, she wanted me monitored constantly throughout labour - I didn't want it and as she'd blindly decreed it I booked an appointment to work out a compromise).

In the end I didn't see a doctor at all throughout labour (hospital setting, but no MLU in Hull and as I didn't want a Home Birth not really any choice anyway). I was monitored twice and birthed on a stool (I wanted the pool, but there's only the one on site and it was in use) after a relatively active labour.

I didn't have any other issues though, so I was quite lucky.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: