Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Bleeding at 18 weeks

(11 Posts)
Royalsighness Sat 31-Jan-15 08:11:31

I've had some spotting this morning, was there twice when I wiped bright red blood. I called the community midwives office and they are only open Monday to Friday, last time I called the triage dept for this they told me I couldn't come in to them until I was 24 weeks so I don't really know where to go or what to do? Has anyone experienced this before?

Quitelikely Sat 31-Jan-15 08:14:32

Ring your local hospital, ask to be put through to the maternity ward and you will get through to a midwife. They will log it and take it from there.

Hth

Royalsighness Sat 31-Jan-15 08:22:07

I've just done that they have said all I can do is present at a&e. It turns out I have to be 20 weeks to go into triage rather than 24 but I'm still too early to go in. Not really sure what they can do for me at a&e other than send me over to triage?

Quitelikely Sat 31-Jan-15 09:11:36

I think the only thing that can be done realistically is strap you to the heart monitor and listen to baby for a while.

I'm assuming she asked the usual questions of asking if you were in any pain or discomfort etc

I'm thinking if you want the reassurance you should go or you can wait it out until Monday and call your own MW.

I'm sure spotting has happened to lots of people on MN and everything was ok (not trying to minimise, just reassure) as I saw a thread on it recently where all was ok but nevertheless worrying.

SilverStars Sat 31-Jan-15 10:12:45

Same here, maternity triage do not see people until 20 weeks.
If told to go to A and E then best to follow that advice - they can refer elsewhere if they have concerns.
When I bled at 13, 23 and 24 weeks they just did an internal to check cervix close, see if identify source of blood, listened to Hb for later ones and sent home.

Royalsighness Sat 31-Jan-15 10:43:28

I've been waiting in a&e for 2 hours hopefully I'll get to the bottom
Of this soon

Jodie1982 Sat 31-Jan-15 21:43:32

How are you OP? Hoping all is okay. I've just read your post, pls update when possible. If you can.
Best wishes.

Royalsighness Sun 01-Feb-15 18:21:36

After a nearly 4 hour wait I left a and e and walked home where atleast I would be comfortable and be able to have something to eat and drink, after I sat in a packed waiting room for that long having only been seen by a triage nurse.

Apparently I didn't need a bed because my "obs were fine" yet it was deemed necessary for me to wait for hours on a solid wooden bench for a gynecologist who couldn't guarantee he would appear within the next 2 hours.

I'm waiting until tommorow morning to speak to my midwife but in the limbo between being quite far into my pregnancy and still not being able to be seen by maternity, I don't really know what she can do for me other than book me an emergency scan which could be as much as 5 days away. I might book a private scan tommorow morning. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

NurseP Sun 01-Feb-15 21:30:34

How frustrating! I had bleeding/spotting at 8 and 11 weeks ad had a scan at epau. I hardly waited at all which may have been more down to luck than any thing. Al was ok and just had 12 week scan but was still worried. If you can't be see in reasonable time but could get a private scan tomorrow- may be that's the way to go. At least you won't be going crazy waiting! Hope all is well. X x

Royalsighness Mon 02-Feb-15 07:55:42

I've just been told by the pregnancy assessment unit I'm too far gone to be seen by EPAU but not pregnant enough to be seen by pregnancy assessment so I'm in what the midwife called a "grey area" which is really helpful! Booking a private scan this morning

Swanny84 Mon 02-Feb-15 08:10:44

Good luck with private scan, I can't imagine what your going through, fingers crossed all is ok with baby. flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: