Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

vitamin k. drops or injection??

(20 Posts)
Bondy83 Fri 30-Jan-15 21:46:00

Just wondering what others have decided on. Midwife asked me before if I'd decided if the baby is to have the vitamin k by drops or injection, I know my other 2 children will of had it but can't remember if it was by drops or injection. What has everyone else decided on and why?

dementedpixie Fri 30-Jan-15 21:47:57

I chose injection for both of mine as it was done in one go and no follow up doses were needed

Cakealicious Fri 30-Jan-15 21:52:06

We chose the injection as the drops are multiple doses and you have to make sure they get all of it. My DS didn't notice it being done, he was asleep.

coley170 Sat 31-Jan-15 08:23:23

Injection is easier x

SunshinePickle Sat 31-Jan-15 08:24:59

I work with newborns and nearly all of them have the injection.

Dollyemi Sat 31-Jan-15 08:25:26

Injection for my dd, didn't want to have to revisit the hospital for the drops at different stages.

monkey2014 Sat 31-Jan-15 08:35:43

I did some research about it and we decided to go for the injection. This is what I found but I have no medical training whatsoever so take with a pinch of salt smile

I found a lot of people didn't want the injection because in the 1990s a study linked it to childhood cancers, but this has been shown to not be true (they say it can't be proven in a lab for definite because obviously you can't do a study saying 'your child wIll have the injection so we can see if they get cancer', but all other studies showed no link). Generally most of the info online about this is non-medical experts and I found it quite shocking how many websites there are where people have cherry picked what evidence they discussed!

Secondly some people don't like the idea of giving a newborn an injection because it's painful.

Thirdly some people/sites talk about a risk of anaphylaxis - in theory it's a risk because I suppose you can react to any medicine, but there's only one recorded case of anaphylaxis after vit k injection which was in Turkey in 2013 (as far as I can find).

It is suggested the injection might be more effective than the drops because it goes into a muscle -again don't have medical training but from what I read it seemed that this means it is slower release/the body can take what it needs over time.

The possible downside of drops is that it's more appointments / things to remember and that because it's by mouth you have to be sure baby didn't just dribble it out smile

I didn't keep the links to what I read but it was all through googling - you can read the original studies online if you want to.

ch1134 Sat 31-Jan-15 09:06:07

I chose drops but ended up having the injection. A friend went for drops and said the baby hated it, a bit traumatic and may have spat them out anyway. I still chose drops as I didn't like the idea of an injection when they're so new. But in the end I had a traumatic birth, they didn't read the notes and he was given the injection. I couldn't have cared less right then. They hardly notice after the trauma of being born.

Addictedtocustardcreams Sat 31-Jan-15 09:12:57

DD had the injection & I will do the same this time around. Everything monkey2014 has said & I am medical! Also the point is to prevent blood clotting problems & the potential for a bleed in the brain. As far as I can see the quicker you do this the better (I.e. A single injection immediately after birth will have the baby covered sooner than oral doses over a few days)

bagofsnakes Sat 31-Jan-15 09:24:25

monkey great post! Very helpful for me to read that I as I thought I was going to go for the oral dose this time (despite DC1 having the injection) but think I'll have DC2 have the injection after reading that.

blowinahoolie Sat 31-Jan-15 13:20:45

Injection for both of mine as it was done straight away and that was it. Didn't have to think about it again.

monkey2014 Sat 31-Jan-15 22:37:06

Glad to have helped smile I was thinking oral as well until I read the studies

BreeVDKamp Sat 31-Jan-15 22:38:04

Injection! smile

Zsazsabinks Sun 01-Feb-15 13:20:32

Injection, done and dusted in a second. Never have to think about it again.

Baby's just had its head squeezed every five minutes for hours on end, to such a point that its skull has changed shape, then been pushed out of a hole that's usually the size of a cashew nut. I doubt it's going to give a shit about the minor scratch-like inconvenience of a jag (or Jab)!

Zsazsabinks Sun 01-Feb-15 13:21:12

(Cashew nut/walnut/tennis ball...YKWIM!)

ChatEnOeuf Sun 01-Feb-15 13:27:46

Injection, completely happy with the choice and will do the same this time around. All the preterms I look after get the injection too.

Injection, very happy, will do it every time.

My mum's sister died of Vit K deficiency.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sun 01-Feb-15 13:41:45

injection. All done, no follow up. smile

LuckyLopez Sun 01-Feb-15 14:17:10

A lone person who chose the drops for all three.

We were given the doses to administer ourselves at the appropriate time. Personal preference as part of my home births.

43percentburnt Sun 01-Feb-15 22:40:34

Drops. Was a nightmare, they kept forgetting to bring them out. The final dose involved me making 7 phone calls, involving 4 midwives and 1 gp, they turned up twice with no drops and once telling me she wasn't allowed to administer it! Was rather hilarious with hind sight (not at the time), guess not many people have drops...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now