Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Previous pre-eclampsia and conflicting advice re aspirin - WWYD?

(18 Posts)
Syd35 Fri 30-Jan-15 17:41:26

Had pre-eclampsia with my first which didn't come on till week 39. This time round (7 years later), I asked the consultant about taking it as I understand it is used as a preventative measure but she was quite dismissive and said she wouldn't advise as it is a blood thinner and has it's own side effects.

I accepted this but today I had an appointment with a different person and I mentioned it again and she said yes I could take it if I wanted but didn't seem too firm about it and said to speak to my GP if I was unsure.

So now I'm in a quandary. I would obviously like to avoid taking any unnecessary medications but if it will decrease the chance of the PE reoccurring then I would take it.

Anyone have any advice?

ToriB34 Fri 30-Jan-15 17:57:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ToriB34 Fri 30-Jan-15 17:58:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Treesandbees Fri 30-Jan-15 18:26:28

My consultant put me on it at 10 weeks as I have increased risk of pre-eclaclampsia/high blood pressure due to a pre existing kidney condition. Same in my last pregnancy. I'd challenge it as all the research is positive. It's also a low dose (75mg) so minimal side effects.

Syd35 Sat 31-Jan-15 08:11:08

Thanks ladies, I will go speak it through with my GP before I decide.

DontBeBlueBeARainbow Sat 31-Jan-15 08:57:47

I used to work for a pre-eclampsia charity and the experts there always advised to start taking it (75mg) as soon as you find out you're pregnant. The reason the NICE guidelines say from 12 weeks is because studies haven't been done before 12 weeks really.

Syd35 Sat 31-Jan-15 09:13:47

Thanks Rainbow I am 23 weeks now is it ok to start at any stage then in your experience?

Guyropes Sat 31-Jan-15 12:34:48

action-on-pre-eclampsia.org.uk/pre-eclampsia-information/fact-sheet1-low-dose-aspirin-for-high-risk-pregnancy/

Have a read of this fact sheet. It seems the evidence gained from the CLASP study shows that aspirin is not helpful in cases where previous preeclampsia was late onset, which might be why your consultant dismissed it.

This leaflet does not match up with what seems to be fairly blanket prescribing, so it might be inrpteresting to see where the nice guidelines are getting their evidence from

Syd35 Sat 31-Jan-15 12:54:01

Hi Guy thanks for the link I actually found that earlier and made me wonder if that was where the consultant was coming from. I also think if I was going to take it I should have started it some weeks back. Not helpful when one says no and the other is for it!

Guyropes Sat 31-Jan-15 16:40:45

In my view the consultant trumps the gp.

sebsmummy1 Sat 31-Jan-15 16:45:06

I spoke to my midwife as I started taking 75mg aspirin directly I found out I was pregnant due to previous miscarriages and she was very happy, as was my GP when I told her. The midwife said it's a low enough dose to be given to babies and most of the women she deals with are taking it!!

squizita Sat 31-Jan-15 16:46:21

consultant trumps gp ... 100%

Many GPs are hopelessly under trained with ob gyn. I've heard shocking advice re pregnancy, fertility and miscarriage from a minority of GPS and mediocrity from a lot!

DontBeBlueBeARainbow Sun 01-Feb-15 14:45:06

Consultants definitely trump GPs, most GPs are hopeless in this area as PP says. The people you spoke to may have been dismissive as evidence is not that strong, but 23 weeks is late, I'm not sure it would make much difference at this stage.

Syd35 Sun 01-Feb-15 16:09:45

Thanks again ladies. I am leaning towards not starting to take it at this stage unless I can be convinced otherwise.

Mummytogoldie Sun 01-Feb-15 21:33:07

I started taking aspirin as soon as I found out I was pregnant as I had had previous miscarriages. I told my midwife I was taking it at my booking in appt and said shoukd I stop taking it, she said to keep taking it as I had pre eclampsia with dd1. I have my 1st consultant appt on Thursday so will discuss it with him then.

pinkie1982 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:49:28

I have normal BP. I am not overweight and this is my first pregnancy. My sister had pre eclampsia with one child and a PE after the birth. My father and grandmother have hypertension. My MW put me on aspirin daily from 12w. I am high risk due to my family history.

ChatEnOeuf Mon 02-Feb-15 08:17:54

I'd go with the consultant too - and offer some retraining to Sebsmummy's MW who said it's given to babies shock - aspirin is almost never given to under-16s due to the risk of Reye's syndrome.

Number3cometome Mon 02-Feb-15 14:17:44

Take it - you will be doing absolutely no damage to yourself or baby by taking, it but it may well save your or baby's life.

Take it from someone who had seizures in labour from Eclampsia, no one wants to go through that.

I started aspirin at 20 weeks in my last pregnancy (when I saw the consultant) and from day 1 in this pregnancy.

Funny enough saw the consultant today, who was very pleased I had already started taking it!

16+1

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: