Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else pregnant with a non-sleeping toddler?

(17 Posts)
Addictedtocustardcreams Fri 30-Jan-15 16:03:16

Just that really. Am now 38 weeks, DD is 2 and going through a terrible phase with sleep. She won't settle for DH either so I am up to her every time. My main worry about having this next baby is the level of sleep deprivation!
Anyone else the same?

OneFlewOverTheMumsNest Fri 30-Jan-15 16:15:40

Yes, me! DD is almost 3 and goes through really terrible periods of sleep and likewise only wants me. I feel like death and still only halfway through pregnancy! I'm shit at pregnancy and have every ailment going. I'm much better once they are here so I'm just consoling myself that hopefully with a newborn I won't feel as crap physically and can deal with the sleep deprivation better.

mum2benicole Fri 30-Jan-15 16:15:56

Same trouble here mine is 17months old im 25 weeks pregnant she constantly wants to be in bed with jammy and daddy and will not for the life of her sleep in her bed its a battle every night theres just no telling her tho she falls asleep in with us then I put her in her bed not more than an holster shes awake and back in our bed its driving me mad my partner sleeps through so its only me and her awake but with 2 baby's its going to be a nightmare I dont no what to do.
The joys of motherhood hehe xx

noitsachicken Fri 30-Jan-15 16:53:59

I have a 2.5 year old and 5 week old.
DS1 would never settle for DH and was often up in the night.
We spent lots of time talking about how mummy can't always come in the night to prepare him for when the baby arrived.
DH also did every bedtime.
It seems to have helped, he will settle for DH now, he still often wants me in the night, but will accept DH.
He is still up in the night, but it's understandable with the new baby.
It's not as bad as I was expecting!

fattymcfatfat Fri 30-Jan-15 18:25:17

I have a 13 month old who hates sleep and im 15+1. Also have a six year old to get ready for school so cant even get a lie in when dd decides to finally sleep (usually goes back off at 5am until 8am, by which time im usually up with ds to get him into gear for school,) and im on my own so cant even get dad to try! Shattered already...god knows what im going to be like with this one aswell!

Addictedtocustardcreams Fri 30-Jan-15 19:46:01

Mum2benicole, I have the same trouble my DH just sleeps through it all! He is deaf in 1 ear so he does have a bit of an excuse. Would love to get him to do more bedtimes but he often works evening shifts & has just finished a week of nights so not been around at all.
Noitsachicken the sentence at the end where you said "not as bad as I was expecting" is giving me some hope! Kind of want to get on and have this baby now so I can just deal with what happens rather than worrying about it!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 30-Jan-15 19:48:33

Me! 17 weeks, DD has only slept through the night 10 times in her life. It's hard work. Doesn't help that DH has broken his right hand so can't really help much with night wakings etc (can't life DD out of her cot).

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 30-Jan-15 19:49:08

DD is 14 months by the way.

Tugstonia Fri 30-Jan-15 20:10:13

Yes me! I'm 32 weeks and my DD is 2. She's always been a bad sleeper but lately has stepped it up and is refusing to let DP read to her, put her to bed, settle her in the night, change her nappy and pretty much everything else. I'm quite anxious about what will happen when the new baby comes so am following this thread for any tips!

mumxof3x Fri 30-Jan-15 20:24:43

Me too, pregnant with my 4th ds (24 and half weeks) ds3 has just turned 18mo old, hes never slept through the night once, usually hes up around 8x a night and then sometimes he gets up and doesnt go back until his 2 brothers are getting up, my other 2 ds are 6 and 3.9yrs, they was also the same but luckily ds1 started to sleep just as ds2 was born and then same happened with ds2 just before ds3 was born, cannot see that happening anytime soon with ds3 though. Dp cant really help through night as he never wakes up and he works really long shifts. Your not alone x

OneFlewOverTheMumsNest Fri 30-Jan-15 20:40:34

Dh does try his best to settle her but it currently results in screaming tantrums (from dd not dh!) that could wake the dead never mind me.

geekymommy Mon 02-Feb-15 14:30:44

My 2.5 year old resists going to sleep, both at naptime and at bedtime. I tried dropping her nap yesterday, and that took the fight out of her at bedtime. She's on the early side for not napping, but her dad and I both had a hard time getting to sleep as kids (he still does), and I think I dropped naps early too.

TarkaTheOtter Mon 02-Feb-15 14:36:07

I was. Now I have two non-sleepers. My toddler is a lot better now though at nearly 3. When she does wake in the night these days she just wants to sleep in our bed. She even just climbs in some nights without me really noticing. I think in some ways it helps to not get used to sleep again before having a newborn. Dc2 is a slightly better sleeper, at 1yr he's even slept through a few times recently!

TarkaTheOtter Mon 02-Feb-15 14:39:09

Ps Dh worked away a lot when dc2 was a newborn so often I was getting up to both of them in the night. It's worth having a comfy spot for feeding in the toddlers room so you can sit and feed baby whilst toddler gets back to sleep.

weelamb123 Mon 02-Feb-15 17:27:56

Hi, I can sympathize but my ds is now 9 and a great sleeper. Although he didn't always sleep wen he was a toddler. Its hard but u need to be firm with ur child otherwise it will be hell wen the babies born. Xx

jazzyjenbo Mon 02-Feb-15 18:44:11

Me aswell.... Dd is 2.5, slept through about 10 times in her whole life, always wants me.... Always wants to be in our bed. I'm 23 weeks!
She will go to bed in her own bed but will get up and come into us - sumtimes up before we are in bed. But i've found that if she is put into our bed she sleeps and we dont mind co-sleeping so in the end if we are all getting a little sleep thats all that counts atm so dh can get up at 5:30 for work and myself at 7 to get ds ready for school etc.
I can still envisage her in with us when dd2 arrives however we have just made a massive deal of a new 'big girl bed' etc so going to push for her to start sleeping!!

Christelle2207 Tue 03-Feb-15 19:57:38

Yep mine is 18m and I'm 25+2. We are making slow progress though getting him to (re)settle himself. I have made it clear to dh than when dc2 comes he will be in charge of
Dc1 (and can sleep with him in the spare room if necessary) so that I can concentrate on dc2.
All my friends have babies than slept through from 5-7 weeks so am just praying for one of those this time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: