Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

acid reflux - any gentle, natural remedies please?

(35 Posts)
TigerSheep Fri 30-Jan-15 15:46:06

As per title!

Cornberry Fri 30-Jan-15 15:50:22

No sad recommend gaviscon. Only thing that works for me. You can get a drug called omeprazole prescribed which is safe for pregnancy.

TigerSheep Fri 30-Jan-15 15:51:59

Thank you for your reply. I was really hoping for something like mint, or ginger, or something like that!

BreeVDKamp Fri 30-Jan-15 15:52:48

I'm finding ginger tea really good - had crazy indigestion the last few weeks. Just slice some ginger and add hot water. Also peppermint tea, but not as good, and no chocolate sad

MsSampson Fri 30-Jan-15 15:54:01

Fennel tea also. But ultimately I found that only omeprazole actually worked

crazypenguin Fri 30-Jan-15 15:54:32

Sounds daft, but sleep on your left hand side. I suffer from reflux and it helps!
Because of the positioning of your stomach entrance sleeping on your left means that gravity is working for you.

crazypenguin Fri 30-Jan-15 15:55:35

I also take omeprazole by the way. (Not pregnant) it can be quite effective. X

misssmilla1 Fri 30-Jan-15 15:56:14

I have low level feelings of nausea, but I think it's actually linked to the fact I always need to burp blush I bought a large bag of crystallised ginger pieces and gnaw on a small piece of that and it seems to do the trick - still burping but not quite as much and keeps the queasy feelings at bay

Stillyummy Fri 30-Jan-15 15:58:04

Drinking milk and sitting upright after meals. If nothing works then gaviscon. You can get gaviscon on repeat prescription if you find it is costing a fortune.

Honeybear30 Fri 30-Jan-15 16:01:36

I found nothing worked except gaviscon. And lots of it. I swigged from the bottle towards the end, it was ridiculous. Also still had it for about three days after DS was born while everything moved back down on my insides as it were. I was annoyed. I thought I'd have instant relief.

TigerSheep Fri 30-Jan-15 16:10:37

Thanks, All.
penguin I should be sleeping on my left anyway, but I struggle to - will try harder, thanks.

Will try the mint/fennel/ginger first, then resort to Gaviscon if desperate. Thanks.

BigCatFace Fri 30-Jan-15 16:22:46

Mint is one of the worst things you can eat or drink with reflux. It makes it worse. Peppermint tea is good for bloating etc but not reflux. Likewise chewing gum helps because the saliva neutralizes acid, not mint.

Try licorice tea if you can get it but if it's really bad, natural remedies arent going to cut it.

TigerSheep Fri 30-Jan-15 16:24:01

Thanks, BigCat - I love licorice, but thought we weren't meant to have any when pregnant?

TigerSheep Fri 30-Jan-15 16:24:56

Actually, I have been having mint tea just because I like it - didn't realise it could make it worse, so will stop that for starters!

beno57 Fri 30-Jan-15 16:29:37

I've had acid reflux for years. I also agree everyone tells you to have peppermint tea but it is said to be bad for reflux. I have it when there is no other option, it doesn't make it worse for me but doesn't really help.

Also diet may make it worse on top of the baby causing issues. So for me I avoid milk, high fat foods, and spicy foods. So you might want to keep watch on food triggers too.

BreeVDKamp Fri 30-Jan-15 16:32:06

Ooh I didn't know that about mint tea but I can see it making sense.

As well as the ginger tea (just had some!) I also do take gaviscon maybe once every other day and have some rennies in my bag - it says on the box they help with pregnancy indigestion so I'm assuming they're safe to take!

TigerSheep Fri 30-Jan-15 16:48:14

Hm, I do like curry right now. Oh dear. I avoid dairy anyway, and high fat foods.

Thanks again.

hazel88 Fri 30-Jan-15 16:59:06

Eating smaller meals slowly and sat upright.

Don't eat anywhere near bedtime.

Not drinking with meals, only before and after.

Find your trigger foods if there are any (mine are bananas, chocolate, garlic and onions).

MILK MILK MILK!! I drink pints of the stuff and take a glass to bed and get one through the night if I need it when I go to the loo.

Getting up and walking around during the night when you get it throughout the night.

I really sympathise with you, heartburn has made me sick several times throughout pregnancy. I'm 36+6 and as baby is starting to drop I'm noticing a slight improvement. Such severe heartburn is miserable! Hope you feel better soon thanks

TigerSheep Fri 30-Jan-15 17:05:22

I eat a lot of bananas, chocolate, garlic and onions. Ok, so looking promising - will aim to prevent rather than cure!
My acid reflux is actually not that bad at all, was just seeing if I could send it packing that would be optimal, but it's certainly bearable right now.
12 weeks til EDD.

Tokelau Fri 30-Jan-15 17:14:14

I find milk and plain cream crackers good, and sitting very upright.

TigerSheep Fri 30-Jan-15 17:17:58

I don't take dairy, will try crackers, thank you.

Heels99 Fri 30-Jan-15 17:18:56

Gaviscon vote here.

SweetsForMySweet Fri 30-Jan-15 17:27:04

You could try mixing a teaspoon of breadsoda with some water and drink, it neutralises the acid. Not pleasant but it works.
Gaviscon or Rennies

Wibblypiglikesbananas Fri 30-Jan-15 17:31:48

Apples, the more bitter the better, eg Granny Smiths or cooking apples. I had a Chinese midwife with DC1 and this was her suggestion - worked a treat. Good luck! If it's any consolation, I didn't get heartburn with DC2.

WhatWouldMaLarkinDo Fri 30-Jan-15 17:35:55

I got through gallons of Gaviscon when I was pregnant but I also found sparkling mineral water helped a lot, particularly Badoit. I think it's something to do with the sodium in it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now