Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

morning sickness feels like a hangover?!

(17 Posts)
Gingernut81 Fri 30-Jan-15 07:14:01

Hi, only about 6 weeks pregnant but I feel like I have a constant hangover. I knew about the nausea but my stomach feels really raw (that's the best way I can think to describe it), like it can when you're hungover! Is this normal?! Is there anything I can take that will settle it?

hestialou Fri 30-Jan-15 08:10:01

Yes, that exactly how I describe how it feels, sometimes feels like had just a few glasses and others like I drank a bottle of vodka...

Sophieelmer Fri 30-Jan-15 08:13:22

Yes. A hangover without the good memories from the night before and no end in sight.

shattered77 Fri 30-Jan-15 08:16:20

I was like this the whole time pretty much with both pregnancies. The only way I could describe it was a hangover. Sometimes a couple of pints, sometimes a mad session. The other feeling was that I had a virus I just couldn't shake sad

greenlizard Fri 30-Jan-15 08:30:26

Oh yes...going to work feeling really hungover and knowing that you couldn't have a big breakfast, coffee and an early night and it will be fixed grin is fun as is trying to throw up quietly in the toilets before anyone knows!

The good news is that it will get better hopefullyby about 14 weeks. Then you feel great!

Good luck.

MrsDumbledore Fri 30-Jan-15 08:40:30

Yeah, that's exactly how I described the first trimester to someone -feeling constantly hungover. Which is really unfair when you have to stop drinking!

Lunastarfish Fri 30-Jan-15 08:41:34

Yep, an 8 week non stop hangover is how I've described morning sickness to friends who have never been pregnant before.

weelamb123 Fri 30-Jan-15 09:35:57

Yes, that's the best way to describe it. I dread waking up in the morning. Its a mixture between bad hangover and the flu. I'm 15+1 and still suffering....xx

bagofsnakes Fri 30-Jan-15 09:46:02

Yes, that's it - the worst hangover ever... for 6 weeks.
Try sipping ginger beer and, even through it doesn't feel right, eat when you feel like you're going to vomit. It took me weeks of my first pregnancy to work that one out but 95% of the time eating will actually stop you vomiting. The other 5% of the time - well, that's going to happen anyway.

m33r Fri 30-Jan-15 09:48:57

Exactly how I explain it to people. Mine cleared about 13/14 weeks.

NickyEds Fri 30-Jan-15 10:37:01

Definitely hangover-like. Or hangover mixed with travel sickness. It's awful but should hopefully pass, mine did by around 12 weeks.

Gingernut81 Fri 30-Jan-15 10:59:02

Ha ha, thanks for all the replies!! Xx

Naomip88 Fri 30-Jan-15 11:22:04

Yes thats exactly what mine felt like, my tip is eat through it ( even though its hard when you don't fancy anything, I always felt better after eating) and when it was really bad I would have a can of coke (which is naughty because of the caffeine but really helped me). When I was about 13 weeks it just disappeared and I felt brilliant overnight!

teejayem Fri 30-Jan-15 11:24:22

Yep. I'd describe my first 8-10 weeks of pregnancy as feeling I'd been out Partying with Motley Crue every night, but with none of the good photos to show for it.

FreeButtonBee Fri 30-Jan-15 11:31:50

Yes. It's grim.

This time it's a "4 large glasses of red on an empty stomach" feeling.

Last time with twins, it was more like a "4am partying with a bottle of Sambuca" effort. Was truly truly horrendous.

knittingirl Fri 30-Jan-15 11:54:52

Yes, exactly how I describe it. 8 weeks of hangover without the fun of getting tipsy first.

Eat lots, and rest lots, and eat something the second you get out of bed in the morning (preferably before you get out of bed in the morning - I keep biscuits by the bed for this) - they are the only things I have found to help!

Pisghetti Fri 30-Jan-15 13:46:35

Yes I had this although I didn't really get much sickness (which is funny as I always throw up with a hangover....). The worst of it went away at 16 weeks (constant headaches and feeling like death warmed up) but I still sometimes wake up with a yucky mouth and that feeling like I'm trying to remember what happened the night before and then realise I haven't touched a drop in seven and a half months!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: