Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

How much of a wuss should I be about the snow & commuting at 34wks?

(11 Posts)
WorryWurta Thu 29-Jan-15 08:55:07

I'm in the North so we've been hit fairly hard with snow, though not as bad as a few years ago. My mum and DH are both insisting I work from home, which technically my boss said I can do, however under normal circumstances I would totally have chanced it having driven in worse. I won't get in trouble for not going in but I think it will be looked down on. My main worry at 34 weeks is my inability to use a shovel which I've relied on during previous snowy commutes to get me out of the work car parks, and indeed off my own drive (DH had to walk to work so left at 5am for the early shift!). My work is about 30/40 minute drive away on a good day.

Bondy83 Thu 29-Jan-15 09:00:55

Put the car keys down and sit back down you are by no means being a wuss. You could fall or get stuck in the snow anything it's not worth the risk.

Carrie5608 Thu 29-Jan-15 09:00:55

I wouldn't chance it. You have to consider your safety and the babys. If you normally make a good effort then I think this year it is reasonable to stay home.

You might need to show alternatives you looked at eg. buses not running, no suitable train etc

I am a pharmacist, i can't work from home and the premises can't trade unless I am there. Due to pharmacy licensing law. if I was 34 weeks I would be ringing in.

Gunpowder Thu 29-Jan-15 09:02:48

I think you should stay home too.

fattymcfatfat Thu 29-Jan-15 09:05:19

Stay home. You're not a wuss, you're a mother who is putting her own and her babies wellbeing first!

juneau Thu 29-Jan-15 09:14:53

Stay at home. No one should be out on icy or snowy roads unless its essential and getting to work, to do a job that you can do perfectly well from home, when you're 34 weeks pregnant, is not essential. I'm sure there will be others working from home while the weather is bad too.

Gudgyx Thu 29-Jan-15 09:33:22

All depends on how bad the snow is and how confident a driver you are I think! I'm 35 weeks now, in central Scotland, its bad here but I managed fine this morning. Got the snow off the car no problem, didnt have any digging to do though! And I will be leaving early and working from home if it starts again. If your work dont mind you working from home I'd just do that. I'm only at work as it drives me completely insane sitting at home all day, even if I am working.

LIG1979 Thu 29-Jan-15 11:08:53

If you can work from home then do. Even when not pregnant I think it is better to do a full day from home than turn up late due to the snow and spend the whole day checking weather and road reports and worrying about the journey home.

The fact that you are 34 weeks pregnant is even more reason not to risk it!

ChickenMe Thu 29-Jan-15 11:25:06

Stay at home. It's hard when you sense disapproval but try to ignore that. I shall be staying at home if we get the same here and it becomes dangerous.

Gunpowder Thu 29-Jan-15 13:05:25

Hope you didn't go in. Meh, who cares if they are disapproving. Presumably you are off on mat leave soon and by the time you get back January snow will be a distant memory. Don't risk a fall and preterm labour. I don't think a risk assessment or your MW would be happy with you shovelling snow at 34 wks. You are not asking for a day off, just to work at home.

Artandco Thu 29-Jan-15 13:08:48

Stay home. Even those who aren't pregnant it's recommended people don't travel unless necessary, the less cars on the road the better as everyone else can travel slow/ not be caught in traffic etc

You will be going on maternity leave in a few weeks anyway so they understand

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: