Talk

Advanced search

Glucose test for second baby

(10 Posts)
Discopanda Wed 28-Jan-15 20:27:22

My friend is 26 weeks pg, I'm 30 weeks. I've been advised to have the whooping cough jab (had it today), her midwife hasn't mentioned it at all to her. Her midwife is getting her to do a glucose test next week and told they do it for all second babies, I haven't been asked to do a glucose test at all, just urine samples as usual at every appointment. Does anybody know whether or not the glucose test is mandatory?! There's so much mixed info.

cathpip Wed 28-Jan-15 20:31:36

It wasn't, unless you have factors that could indicate GD such as a previous large baby (over 4.5kg) high bmi etc.

Discopanda Wed 28-Jan-15 20:41:44

It's so confusing because she doesn't have a high BMI, previous baby was quite small, no family history of diabetes. Surely they can't ask you to take further tests or have jabs without telling you why?

LIG1979 Thu 29-Jan-15 12:32:57

Is it because she is over 35? All women over 35 need gtt in our area even if no other risk factors. Not sure about whooping cough vaccine I thought that was all women were recommended it.

SpottyTeacakes Thu 29-Jan-15 12:35:37

Whooping cough vaccine is between 28 and 38 weeks so probably why she hasn't been offered it yet.

LIG1979 Thu 29-Jan-15 12:36:04

I don't think it is mandatory but I think you have to weigh up the risk of not having it yourself. Same for flu jab and whooping cough vaccine. I think if you want you can refuse all antenatal care including scans. (I am not recommending this!)

SpottyTeacakes Thu 29-Jan-15 12:39:14

Yes you don't have to have anything. The whooping cough vaccine is relatively new as there was an outbreak fairly recently.

Number3cometome Thu 29-Jan-15 13:49:58

I'm under 35, this is my third baby and I have been told I have to have a GTT because my last two babies were on the 92nd centile at birth.

Personally I don't wish to have the test as I don't think it is anything other than the fact that I have big babies, but alas I will tick their boxes and make them feel better.

Purpledaisy3 Thu 29-Jan-15 16:26:56

She isn't far enough along to have the whooping cough vaccine, and she can ask why they recommended a GTT, it isn't done for everyone, there are set criteria for it.

fattymcfatfat Thu 29-Jan-15 16:33:37

Im 23 and have to have a gtt as im a fatty! Bmi of 30 so at risk apparently, I think im just fat but hey ho. This is number three and never had gtt with others

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: