Talk

Advanced search

Anyone not having the 4 in 1 Whopping Cough vaccine?

(41 Posts)
Tranquilitybaby Wed 28-Jan-15 17:47:05

I'm not anti vaccine generally but I'm not sure I want the 4 in 1 jab at 28 weeks if at all. In presuming there's no way of having just the whooping cough part on its own if necessary?

Is there anyone else not having it done?

Know vaccines can be a bit of an emotive subject so hoping this isn't going to turn into a 'get your popcorn' thread! confused

Thanks

Chillyegg Wed 28-Jan-15 17:51:24

I've just had mine I was nervous, it literally took me 2 seconds I was in and out. What are your reasons for not wanting it?

LittleBearPad Wed 28-Jan-15 17:59:10

I had mine. Was very pleased when a few weeks after I had DS I was told the midwife who delivered him had been diagnosed with WC.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 28-Jan-15 18:00:27

On the plus side it also counts as a Tetanus booster I think.

onthematleavecountdown Wed 28-Jan-15 18:06:20

If the choice is the 4in1 or not having it at all, have it. The risk to a newborn is serious and the hindsight of not doing something that could have stopped them being very sick or even dying will haunt you.

Bondy83 Wed 28-Jan-15 18:22:00

I wasn't even aware it was a 4 in 1 vaccine I thought it was just whooping cough either way I've had it and didn't think twice about having it, the nurse told me I was giving my child immunity yo whooping cough in the 1st few weeks of its life until it was strong enough to have his own jabs at 8 weeks. I'll be honest I've never queried having any vaccines I'm off the mindset that there must be more pros than cons to the vaccine or they wouldn't give it to you. I had the swine flu jab when I was pregnant 5yrs ago too I never questioned it.

ANewMein2015 Wed 28-Jan-15 18:25:28

I had a very sick child with whooping cough at about 9 weeks. This was before the vaccine came out for pregnant mothers.

Believe me - you want the vaccine. It was hideous.

PrincessOfChina Wed 28-Jan-15 18:28:27

I had it this week. It aches for days but that's it in terms of side effects. It does make me wish I'd given DD more sympathy when she complained her arm hurt after her pre school booster.

I was pleased it was also a booster for other things.

Jackieharris Wed 28-Jan-15 18:30:16

Really they give you multiple jags in pregnancy now?

When did this start?

Well I won't be having it.

3littlebadgers Wed 28-Jan-15 18:31:13

I had mine, but had mine at 32 weeks, just because 28 weeks was over Christmas. But might it make you feel a little better if baby is a few weeks older, but still within the time frame? Mine was really straight forward just a mild ache in my arm for a few days. I know it is natural to worry " am I going to cause unknown harm?" But whooping cough is horrible for tiny ones and apparently it is on the rise. They wouldn't be vaccinating unless they thought there was a real need to. Good luck with your decision and the new baby.

Jaffakake Wed 28-Jan-15 18:35:27

I wasn't aware I'd had a 4 in 1, if that's what I've had. What're the other three?
I'm pro vaccine anyway, but think you're mad not to have it. The WC vaccine has been around donkeys years. My mum feels very strongly about it as my brother had whooping cough.

Murphy29 Wed 28-Jan-15 18:36:08

I didn't have it, partly didn't want it and partly DS arrived early anyway!

I'm well aware my reason is stupid but it didn't feel stupid to me. I had my first mmc just after receiving flu jab (baby stopped growing at that date but no bleeding etc hence missed mc). With hindsight I had another 3 mmc before DS so I know it was coincidence but just couldn't shake the worry ��

DS has had all his jabs now so I can relax a bit that he didn't catch anything before hand.

Jaffakake Wed 28-Jan-15 18:43:18

From the nhs website. It's good enough for me.

Which whooping cough vaccine will I be given?

As there is no whooping cough-only vaccine, the vaccine you'll be given also protects against polio, diphtheria and tetanus. Until July 2014, a vaccine called Repevax was used, but from July 2014 the vaccine you'll be offered is called Boostrix IPV.
Boostrix IPV is similar to the 4-in-1 vaccine – the pre-school booster that's routinely given to children before they start school.

Why is Boostrix IPV replacing Repevax as the recommended vaccine?

Repevax and Boostrix IPV both protect against whooping cough, diphtheria, tetanus and polio, but they are made by different manufacturers.
The vaccine has changed from Repevax to Boostrix IPV because Public Health England (the organisation that selects which vaccines to buy and use) has judged it delivers the best value to the NHS. To select which vaccine to buy and use, Public Health England uses a rigorous process for the selection in line with European Union (EU) legislation.

But the manufacturer's leaflet says there's no information on the use of Boostrix IPV in pregnancy. Should it be used in pregnancy?

The licence for Boostrix IPV allows for its use in pregnancy when clearly needed, and when the possible benefits outweigh the possible risks.
It is standard practice with most medicines not to test them on pregnant women. This is why the manufacturer's information leaflet includes this statement, and not because of any specific safety concerns or evidence of harm in pregnancy.
Pertussis-containing vaccine has been used routinely in pregnant women in the UK since October 2012 and the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is carefully monitoring its safety. The MHRA's study of around 20,000 women vaccinated with Repevax found no evidence of risks to pregnancy or pregnancy outcome.
Boostrix (similar to Boostrix IPV but without the polio component) is one of the vaccines routinely recommended in the US for immunisation of pregnant women. Experience in the US has identified no safety concerns with the use of the vaccine in pregnancy.
There is no evidence of risk to the pregnant woman or unborn child with inactivated vaccines like Boostrix IPV. An inactivated vaccine is one that does not contain "live" vaccine. You can find out more about inactivated and "live" vaccines.

Jackieharris Wed 28-Jan-15 18:49:25

They told thalidomide mums it was safe.

No way am I or my baby going to be guinea pigs for an untested substance.

TwoLittleTerrors Wed 28-Jan-15 18:53:49

Have a biscuit jackieharris

TrojanWhore Wed 28-Jan-15 18:56:27

"When did this start?"

The year that 14 children aged under 8 weeks died.

judypoops Wed 28-Jan-15 19:04:57

Why does Jackie Harris get a biscuit ? Everyone is entitled to their opinion

slightlyglitterstained Wed 28-Jan-15 19:04:58

What TrojanWhore said. I missed out on the jab by a few weeks. It really coloured the first couple of months of DS's life, knowing that he was totally unprotected, that babies being born now did have that protection, and every time I looked at the news there seemed to be another little baby who had died.

Fucking horrible. Cannot imagine the pain of those poor parents.

Jackieharris Wed 28-Jan-15 19:05:32

Well I had a reaction to a previous vaccine I was assured was 'safe'.

I'm not going to apologise for not trusting vaccine pushers now.

Babiecakes11 Wed 28-Jan-15 19:21:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tranquilitybaby Wed 28-Jan-15 19:51:49

I think it's more the fact that as well giving the 5 in 1 vaccine at 2, 3 and 4 month, since the rise in whooping cough only in 2012, a 4 in 1 jab is now given to us when we're pregnanxy so the baby gets some immunity in utero too.

Just seems like a lot of vaccines to bombard a tiny body in such a short space of time sad

Zahrah5 Wed 28-Jan-15 19:57:24

This is very helpful.

I was not aware it is 4 in one vaccine.
I have received tetanus booster shot 2 years ago in US.

Anyone knows if it is same vaccine? And whether I should get this 4 in 1 again?

Im scheduled to go get it tomorrow.

Tranquilitybaby Wed 28-Jan-15 20:04:22

The 4 in 1 vaccine is whooping cough, polio, diphtheria and tetanus.

Mrscog Wed 28-Jan-15 20:07:16

I'm nearly 29 weeks and need to book it in. DS was born just as all those babies died and it was absolutely terrifying until he had his jabs at 8 weeks. By the time he was 6 months they'd introduced the pg booster.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Wed 28-Jan-15 20:08:55

My cousin nearly died of whooping cough as a baby. At 39 she still has a constant cough. I had it last pregnancy and will be having it this time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: