Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Pregnancy

(9 Posts)
polarbearshuffle Tue 27-Jan-15 21:27:47

Hi I'm 36 weeks pregnant with dc2. Yesterday I had a routine midwife appointment and when she tested my urine she said the test had shown high sugar. So she took blood just to check.

Anyway my results were back today and the midwife explained my blood sugar was slightly high (6.5 which is just over). She's working at our local assessment unit tomorrow and will speak to them about it and let me know what they decide. So I'm just looking for a bit of advice or experience really. I can't seen to find anything online about high blood sugar in late pregnancy. I haven't had anything wrong with my wee before! grin Thanks smile

polarbearshuffle Tue 27-Jan-15 21:30:02

Oops thread title should say high blood sugar in pregnancy. My first ever thread blushsmile

hlc123 Tue 27-Jan-15 23:05:43

Was a glucose tolerance test mentioned? I had to have one today due to a higher than normal level of amniotic fluid which could indicate diabetes.

polarbearshuffle Wed 28-Jan-15 07:13:41

I had the glucose test earlier on in my pregnancy and the results came back fine.

blackwidow74 Wed 28-Jan-15 08:17:34

Had you had something sweet not long before your appoint? I had this with ds3 ... turns out my appoint being right after lunch and it was a typical surge due to eating smile

callamia Wed 28-Jan-15 08:25:53

I had three GTTs and an extra blood test, because I always had sugar in my sample. All the blood tests were within the the acceptable range.

I worked out that my samples were fine if my appointment was later in the day. I usually had the first one, not long after breakfast. I found ditching cereal made a big difference. GD isn't uncommon in later pregnancy, but it sounds like some diet modification could help to sort your blood sugar levels.

polarbearshuffle Wed 28-Jan-15 09:01:46

Thank you for the replies. I'd had cereal for breakfast but nothing overly sugary the rest of the day. However I'm happy to admit my sugar in take has been a little bit naughty recently! I think I'm just a little worried because it's quite far on in my pregnancy which has been completely normal up until now. I do tick a lot of the gestational diabetes boxes: I have a bmi of 30, my mum had gestational diabetes and my first was a larger baby when he was born! Maybe the midwife is just being cautious. She didn't give much indication about what the assessment unit would do so that worries me too!

ancy Wed 28-Jan-15 11:50:51

hi all,i had unprotectd sex with my hubby for last 1 month n i missed my periods also.but home pregnancy gives a negative result.what is sore breast?

deborahc123 Wed 28-Jan-15 12:05:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: