Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Rubella&chicken pox

(7 Posts)
Allthenamesareusedup Tue 27-Jan-15 19:39:54

I am 36wks pregnant, and still working PT - peripatetic teacher. I got an email saying the school I am tomorrow has a couple cases of rubella and chicken pox. I called my doc who said if I have had them/been immunised then I will be fine. I know this must be true, and I had the rubella vaccine at high school, and had cp as a child, but still feel uneasy about going in tomorrow. Please tell me not to be silly!!

Maxis1 Tue 27-Jan-15 20:09:00

might be worth checking your hospital notes. usually as part of the initial blood tests they would check the antibody levels for both.
My notes have the blood test results attached and thankfully I am immunte to both coz its going around again hmm

if your chart does not say you are fully imune stay home!

Maxis1 Tue 27-Jan-15 20:10:14

Rubella can be especially dangerous to the baby! luckily my mum was immune when it went around while she was pregnant with my brother!

WrappedInABlankie Tue 27-Jan-15 20:14:00

I'm currently looking after DS who has chickenpox. Nobody has said anything to me and I'm 19+2.

I do have to keep telling people who cross the threshold of the door he had chickenpox all visitors haven't come in today grin

Radish9 Tue 27-Jan-15 20:20:31

What Maxis said - check your handheld notes for your rubella status. Though your midwife usually lets you know if it comes back that you're not immune because they offer to immunise you straight after delivery if that's the case. If you've had chicken pox, you've got nothing to worry about.

geekymommy Tue 27-Jan-15 21:01:07

Even if you were not immune to rubella (which you probably are) and did get it, you're far enough along that it probably wouldn't be a problem: Problems rarely occur when rubella is contracted by the mother after 20 weeks of gestation

If you had chicken pox as a child, you're probably immune to it. That would be more dangerous to your baby at this point if you did get it (but you won't).

curlykale Tue 27-Jan-15 21:02:37

Yes definitely check your rubella status on your notes. If not immune or you're unsure then don't risk it - rubella is dangerous. I was immunised as a child but was NOT immune during my first pregnancy. I was immunised after giving birth (you can't be vaccinated during pregnancy) and now I've tested immune in pregnancy two.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: