Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

When did you stop driving/did you stop driving?

(53 Posts)
Cherryblossom200 Tue 27-Jan-15 16:08:17

Hi everyone,

I'm 38 weeks today with my 1st baby, and still doing shortish trips in my car. Just wondered when or if you stopped driving in your pregnancy?

Thanks Cherry smile x

mrsnoon Tue 27-Jan-15 16:11:00

Why are you thinking of stopping driving? If it's because you don't fit behind the wheel then fair enough but tbh I've never heard of stopping driving and I'm 37+3 with my 2nd.

Cockbollocks Tue 27-Jan-15 16:13:14

I wouldn't recommend driving in labour but that's about it!

Cherryblossom200 Tue 27-Jan-15 16:13:47

I fit behind the wheel grin but everyone keeps saying I should stop driving incase I go into labour or my waters break. Personally I don't want to stop driving as I like my independence, but everyone is freaking me out about it. So I thought I would check on here to see if I should be worrying?

BanglesSpangles Tue 27-Jan-15 16:13:50

must say, i wasn't planning on it, unless my neck stopped working or something smile

Cherryblossom200 Tue 27-Jan-15 16:14:31

Great thank you smile shall keep on driving!

SoupDragon Tue 27-Jan-15 16:14:49

I agree - best to stop when you go into labour smile

Due2015 Tue 27-Jan-15 16:15:25

I'm 37+4 and I've not drove for about 2 weeks but I was struggling to get comfy behind the wheel (short legs ha) I work from home so hasn't been a problem

Seeline Tue 27-Jan-15 16:15:26

I did put a thick towel on the seat for the last couple of weeks just in case, but certainly didn't stop driving.

SoupDragon Tue 27-Jan-15 16:16:09

everyone keeps saying I should stop driving incase I go into labour or my waters break.

Very few people go straight into full on labour so I wouldn't worry there.
If y are worried about ruining the seat should your waters go, put one of those pampers care mats and a towel on the seat.

monkeyfacegrace Tue 27-Jan-15 16:17:01

You'd prize my steering wheel out of my cold dead hands. Nobody takes my car.

Hth. grin

BanglesSpangles Tue 27-Jan-15 16:17:22

i would have thought that if you were driving when your waters broke, at least you could drive yourself straight to the hospital... in fact, maybe the best thing to do is just to drive around until you go into labour grin

Cherryblossom200 Tue 27-Jan-15 16:21:45

Ha ha! Thanks lovely ladies for making me laugh! grin I definitely won't be driving when in labour! But the next few weeks I still aim to carry on driving. Thanks for the pampers care mat rec! I might just put a plastic bag down instead. I do worry about my waters going when I'm out or driving, as it's my first I think it might give me a bit of a shock if it bursts all of a sudden rather then slowly shock

BanglesSpangles Tue 27-Jan-15 16:25:55

jokes aside, this thread really has made me think i need to put a towel in the car- 37+3 today, and I seriously hadn't considered the possibility of my waters going at all!! Time to go find some supplies

geekymommy Tue 27-Jan-15 16:32:33

Can't. DH isn't particularly comfortable driving (though he did drive me to the hospital when I had DD, he's not comfortable parallel parking or parking in a crowded parking lot). Single moms presumably can't stop driving during pregnancy, either, unless they live somewhere where they can get by without driving.

noblegiraffe Tue 27-Jan-15 16:34:01

I drove myself to my ELCS!

Picklesauage Tue 27-Jan-15 16:37:25

Another thing that's worth knowing is amniotic fluid does weird things to leather! So if you have leather seats use a towel and plastic bag.

RandomFriend Tue 27-Jan-15 16:38:34

best to stop when you go into labour

Agree. grin I stopped driving three times on the way home as I felt a bit funny. It was close to midnight, luckily there wasn't much traffic so I could just pull over until I felt OK again. DC1 was born at 5am the next day. Those three moments of feeling funny, about two minutes apart, turned out to be contractions. shock

I don't think you should be worrying but you might want to avoid a long journey!

petalsandstars Tue 27-Jan-15 16:39:34

I stopped at about 39ish weeks as I couldn't fit behind the wheel and still reach the pedals! I was huuuge

CoodleMoodle Tue 27-Jan-15 16:42:56

I didn't stop driving. Did less driving as DH needed the car for work and I didn't, but I still drove it when it was here.

My Mum nearly drove herself to the hospital to have me but decided my father was the better option wink

tiggy2610 Tue 27-Jan-15 16:46:45

I unexpectedly went into labour at 36 weeks while I was home on my own as DH was having his final 'work do' before baby arrived. He was a good 60mins on public transport away. We live in a rural village which is 45minutes away from the hospitals so when my waters broke I decided I would have enough time to drive myself to the hospital before anything really started... decided at the time the best way forward was to jump in the car and collect DH from the train station before heading to the hospital (it was on the way). Contractions started 5mins into my journey...it was like the plot from a terrible comedy film confused, luckily I made it to the train station and jumped in the passenger seat before contractions started coming every few minutes.

There wasn't a towel in the car so I grabbed DHs hoody from the back seat - needless to say that has now been thrown away.

WrappedInABlankie Tue 27-Jan-15 16:57:40

I passed my test at 32 weeks and drove the day I went in to be induced.

An ex friend drove whilst she was in slow labour (waters broke that am) and drove the next day.

If you don't want to stop I wouldn't

KeepSmiling83 Tue 27-Jan-15 17:03:41

I drove home after my waters had broken!!

Cherryblossom200 Tue 27-Jan-15 17:04:40

Does amniotic fluid smell really bad? x

museumum Tue 27-Jan-15 17:07:44

I was very uncomfortable sitting at 38 weeks. I had quite a small bump with ds inside my pelvis and ribcage. I had to recline the seat so much I stopped for my own comfort.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: