Talk

Advanced search

Coughing up phlegm and bile every day - sorry for grossness!

(6 Posts)
UsernamesHarderThanBabyNames Tue 27-Jan-15 11:29:41

I'm coming up to 21 weeks and pretty much every morning throughout my pregnancy I've had to start the day coughing up a vile combo of phlegm and bile. Initially I thought this was all part of the joy of morning sickness but these days I don't feel nauseous or anything, in fact I've been feeling pretty good since 14 weeks or so.

It starts off with waking up with the feeling of a lump of phlegm on my chest that I have to cough up (I'm vaguely prone to chest infections so this isn't unfamiliar, but in this case it's clearish phlegm, not yellow or green as it would be with an infection), but then the force of doing this leads to bright yellow stomach acid coming up too. It's particularly violent when in the shower! I've tried sipping hot water with lemons first thing but this just made me feel like I was suppressing something that needed to come out. Once I've got it out I feel absolutely fine. I know extra mucus is common in pregnancy but does this all sound normal or should I see the doctor/midwife (at the moment my next appointment isn't for another month or so)? Is it acid reflux? I've recently started getting a bit of heartburn/indigestion as well so don't know if it's all linked. Just want to know if it's just a standard pregnancy PITA or something I should be worried about.

FiRaffe Tue 27-Jan-15 17:46:34

Can't say I know if it's normal, but i'm exactly the same and have been since the beginning. It's not every morning but i'd say 13 out of 14. Am 27 weeks now and baby seems to be doing well, just doesn't help starting the day like this!

Hope it improves for you.

BendingBentBroke Tue 27-Jan-15 17:56:47

I saw the title and had to come in and sympathise, I had this terribly in both my pregnancies to the point where I was sick most days from gagging. It really is horrid and embarrassing. I didn't find a cure but did find cutting down on dairy helped a bit. Huge sympathy. Mine did continue post birth unfortunately and is a known condition you can develop in pregnancy and beyond.

fattymcfatfat Tue 27-Jan-15 18:02:35

I know that feeling! !!! I do that too...it is gross, I spent twenty minutes thus morning hacking it all up.....

UsernamesHarderThanBabyNames Tue 27-Jan-15 18:25:48

Oh well, I suppose I'm glad it's not just me! The dairy thing is interesting as that's been my main/only craving. Have been drinking glasses of milk and eating a lot of cereal (and Dairy Milk!). Perhaps I should cut back. Will think of you all as I honk up tomorrow morning anyway!

BumWad Tue 27-Jan-15 20:22:27

I am 16 weeks and the shit the comes out of my gob is unbelievable. I think it is normal, that and pregnancy rhinitis. Yuk yuk

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: