Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

sore ribs @ 30 weeks?

(25 Posts)
gabrielle1201 Mon 26-Jan-15 22:13:34

i have been getting really sore ribs where my stomach begins to pop out, is there anything i can put on it to help ease the pain or must i just bare it out? i have never had pains like this before and its hurting me to breathe at times too. i am little bit stressed so i am thinking it may be directed toward this, any advice would be grateful smile

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 26-Jan-15 22:33:13

I had that with dd from about 30 wks and have been having this time around since about 25 weeks. In my case it was baby pushing against my ribs so really nothing I could do to relieve the pain except paracetamol if it's too much. It got very painful with dd near the end and stopped me breathing properly. Sitting/bouncing on balance bal did relieve the pain a little as it elongated my torso a little and allowed a little more space for baby. I had actual bruised ribs by 36/37 and my lower ribs were pushed out of shaped by dd, they had moved back in a bit by the time I was pregnant with ds and I haven't noticed yet if they have started moving out again.

Sorry, it's probably not what you wanted to hear but I feel your pain!

gabrielle1201 Mon 26-Jan-15 22:42:49

did it stop you from sleeping aswell, cant sleep at all either with the painsad

gabrielle1201 Mon 26-Jan-15 22:42:54

did it stop you from sleeping aswell, cant sleep at all either with the painsad

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 26-Jan-15 22:50:14

Yep! Sorry. It was the most uncomfortable I have ever been in my life, sorry this is not what you want to hear I know. However the second baby was out, the pain went away. Does it hurt more on one side than the other, if it does I would try sleeping on the opposite side to encourage gravity to move baby away from the sore ribs. Also try some torso stretching exercise, nothing too strenuous just something to help elongate the torso. There are a couple of yoga poses that are good for that, not sure what they are called I think it's got something to do with the moon. When baby drops/engages you may get some relief as well. Paracetamol before bed if you have had a particularly painful day would probably help relieve the pain enough to sleep a little better.

skyra13 Mon 26-Jan-15 23:03:22

Upper rid pain could be a sign of preeclampsia so make sure your midwife knows what's going on just incase you need monitoring. I am currently 30 weeks My little ones legs don't reach my rib cage yet but loves kicking my tummy!! X

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 26-Jan-15 23:07:27

Oh I didn't know that Skyra my rib pain was in lower ribs and was clearly caused by baby. I assumed op's was the similar because she mentioned where stomach pops out but I could be wrong of course and don't know it could be a sign of pre-eclampsia.

skyra13 Mon 26-Jan-15 23:12:10

I only know from my consultant she said if I have upper pain in ribs, headaches or flashing light I am to go straight into see them!! From 30 weeks plus, it is probs baby but always good to be safe then sorry x

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 26-Jan-15 23:14:53

Absolutely agree, Skyra thanks for sharing the info.

jmojo Tue 27-Jan-15 04:21:34

Wow you sound very sore!

I am a midwife and i have never heard upper rib pain cited as a sign or symptom of pre eclamsia. I even used to look after high risk women. Usually it is Headaches, flashing lights/ visual disturbances, right sided upper abdo pain (liver pain) high bp, sometimes swelling, abnormal bloods etc. I would be interested to know the logic behind the chest pain theory.

It does sound like the usual chest/rib expansion pain. There are other things it could be though, maybe just call your midwife tomorrow and have a quick chat. In the mean time try locking your fingers together and stretching your arms above your head. Breathe in and stretch up as you exhale. I know our physios used to suggest that.

gabrielle1201 Tue 27-Jan-15 08:15:33

thanks a lot for the advice/information. i am going to ring my midwife this morning i have an appointment tomorrow anyways so i am just going to let them know what has been happening and what they think the cause could be. I thought at 30 weeks the baby is supposed to be in the birthing position or am i completely wrong.? its sore just under my breast where my stomach actually beings to be round if that makes any sense. i am having no other symptoms just a lot of sickness especially when travelling which sucks as i have to travel an hour to university and an hour back again.

jerryfudd Tue 27-Jan-15 08:21:18

I had this in my first pregnancy - twin 2 was being pushed by breech twin 1 and the pain at times was unbearable. Even after I had them the bruise like pain and tenderness remained for a week or so. Second pregnancy no rib pain at all.

gabrielle1201 Tue 27-Jan-15 08:25:39

i am only having one baby but, would this be normal for one baby?

ILiveOnABuildsite Tue 27-Jan-15 09:32:35

I was only having on baby both times and the pain is exactly where/as you describe. My dd was long and although she was in the birth position later on her feet where still in my ribs (just where the stomach rounds up where it meets the breast). It was painful and annoying and made me miserable but dd was perfectly fine and safe and no permanent damage to me either, after birth. It started about a month ago with this pregnancy (28 weeks along) and I'm expecting it to carry on for the foreseeable future I'm afraid. Definitely mention to your midwife she may have better advice or exercises to recommend. Jmojo wrenching exercise is one that works well for me, it's very similar to the yoga moon pose I mentioned above and it can relive the pain a little. I hear you about driving for long periods as the pain was so much worst when I was sitting for long period because baby is all squished up in there unless you stand tall and elongate your torso.

ILiveOnABuildsite Tue 27-Jan-15 09:35:12

* Jmojo wrenching exercise should of course be streching exercise

gabrielle1201 Tue 27-Jan-15 09:53:32

Yea I'm finding it very uncomfortable especially on train atm. I'm not one for taking paracetamol as I don't usually benefit from them as much as I used too. I'll meantion this to my midwife tomorrow but do you think she will scan? They usually do scan me at midwife appoitments.

ILiveOnABuildsite Tue 27-Jan-15 09:56:09

No harm in asking. Certainly worth it in my opinion if it will put your mind a rest. Also it could help rule out a breech position.

gabrielle1201 Tue 27-Jan-15 09:57:20

Do you think there is a point in ringing up the fetal assessment unit and saying to them my symptoms n c what they suggest to do or should I wait?

littlesupersparks Tue 27-Jan-15 10:00:25

I was in so much pain all day yesterday I could have cried. I'm having twins and it's awful. I didn't sleep much last night but I am feeling much better today - I think the babies have moved down a bit. I'm sure it's normal but it's awful. I am 27 weeks this week and supposed to be working until 35 :-( I am also really struggling to breathe as my lung capacity is really compromised :-(

gabrielle1201 Tue 27-Jan-15 10:01:52

Iknow how you feel though I'm only having one but it will fly in! Hoping the pain eases for you as I hope for myself. Stressing me out sad

jmojo Tue 27-Jan-15 14:07:21

gabrielle yes it is normal for one baby. It is the ribs splaying out as the uterus pushes up and presses all your organs into your diaphragm (nice huh!) It is part of the changes to your body. Your diaphragm is just below your breasts and stretches across your body between your ribs, separating your hear and lungs from your abdomen (I don't know how much physiology you know). It is what spasms when you get hiccoughs!
At 30 wks your baby can be in any position, and if breech would certainly make this discomfort worse (hard head pressing rather than soft bottom). It doesn't matter too much what position the baby is in until about 36 wks when we would be concerned and keep an eye on any baby that isn't head down.
Not sure if you will get a scan, we didn't scan for this kind of pain. But there are other causes for chest pain, so really seeing someone is the best way, as we don't know your medical history etc.
Fx it settles for you!!

ILiveOnABuildsite Tue 27-Jan-15 15:20:31

grabrielle1201 if you feel worried then follow your instincts you know your body better than anyone else. There is never any harm in getting checked out.

Greypuddle Tue 27-Jan-15 15:31:23

I had this and it just felt like rib expansion. Sometimes massaging in between the ribs would help or arms up and a stretch over the back of the sofa. But for me, yes, it was the worst part of the pregnancy. I've just found out I'm pregnant again and I remembered that rib pain. I sometimes took a painkiller for it but I couldn't find much else to do about it. Hope it improves and good luck with your baby.

gabrielle1201 Tue 27-Jan-15 18:00:27

To add pain to injury I've also turn ligaments in my leg today. Bad day gone worse, I'm going to say to midwife tomorrow thanks for the advice guys!

gabrielle1201 Tue 27-Jan-15 18:13:07

Baby is cephalic and lying long aparently, got checked today x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: