Advanced search

panicking about birth!

(7 Posts)
cwhite Mon 26-Jan-15 15:56:46

I was feeling confident and fairly calm about the birth but have just found out that my midwife missed/ didn't action my rhesus negative blood test results so I've had to quickly book in further blood tests/ injection.

I'm now really worried about how focused on detail my midwife actually is if she let this slip. I really like her, but at the moment feel like I'm going to spend the whole birth asking her to check everything is ok and questioning where we are the entire way and if there is anything else that needs to be monitored. Am I massively overreacting? (I suspect I might be). I want to feel really confident in the medical care I'm receiving on 'the big day' - what would you look for in a good midwife? Will there be other people there checking up on the birth?

Jaffakake Mon 26-Jan-15 15:59:29

What sort of birth are you hoping to have home/mlu/hospital?

cwhite Mon 26-Jan-15 16:01:30

I was hoping to go to the birth centre at my local hospital

PotteringAlong Mon 26-Jan-15 16:01:41

Your community midwife won't be there when you give birth!

NickyEds Mon 26-Jan-15 16:08:06

I'm not sure about what the deal is in your area but here community mws having nothing whatsoever to do with births! Mine just happened to be doing a clinic when i was taken in to be assessed (waters broke bloody) so she dropped in to say hello then got on with her clinic. They then come to see you after the birth when you're home.
There's lots of checking up done on the birth (you will get sick off people looking at your arm band thing to check it's really you) and, whilst missing your rhesus neg isn't great it has been picked up so in a weird way the "net" has worked.
I think what you want in a mw is really personal, some people want to be just left alone but some want more reassurance.

chiliplant Mon 26-Jan-15 18:59:27

You'll b fine I'm sure. Everyone in every job misses something sometimes. She will probably b even more careful as she probably felt bad about missing it!

fattymcfatfat Mon 26-Jan-15 19:19:46

My midwife was fab and remembered me after 5yrs! Your mw probably feels awful about this. But she is in a very difficult job and has a lot of women to care for so I wouldnt worry too much about this as long as it's a one off....if things were always being missed then I would be worried. And she wont be at the birth! So stop stressing it and enjoy the rest of your pg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now