Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

To ask how long you held labour off after waters broke

(27 Posts)
Babiecakes11 Sun 25-Jan-15 15:02:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Laurajg Sun 25-Jan-15 15:39:22

Doctors will normally try and get u 2 about 34 weeks providing there r no complications such as infection or a heavy bleed good luck x

Babiecakes11 Sun 25-Jan-15 16:10:45

monkeyfacegrace Sun 25-Jan-15 16:14:35

I PROMed at 32+6, then went into labour at 33+4 and delivered ds within 2 hours.

I've known people hold on a lot longer. I'm afraid nobody can tell you. It's a guessing game.

I can tell you though, that my 33 weeker only needed 2 weeks in SCBU and was then home. They are good little fighters from 32 weeks onwards.

Babiecakes11 Sun 25-Jan-15 16:47:29

monkeyfacegrace Sun 25-Jan-15 17:26:21

Really, don't be scared. Preemie babies are the cutest of the cute! You've had your steroids, so it's lungs should be fine by 32 weeks.

My ds had a little light blanket as he had some jaundice, and a cannula for bloods and a tube up his nose for feeding, but otherwise was fine. I think he had a week in his full incubator, then he went into an open cot in the nursery until he got his sucking reflex and could take a bottle.

Try to think of it as exciting that you meet your baby soon, as opposed to scary smile

balia Sun 25-Jan-15 17:37:37

You are doing great - it's a really scary time and not much you can do but wait.

I held for a month - waters went at 29 weeks, DS was born at 33+3. The last week or so was in hospital, total bed rest, lots of monitoring etc, but I was told the longer we could hang on, the better.

I did have a C-section after attempting labour but baby was distressed so they got me straight in, I was just relieved he was ok by that stage. My little fighter was just under 4lb's. Did have to spend a few weeks in SCBU, tube feeding/jaundice - the tubes and stuff are a bit scary but we got through.

I wish I had found out more about prem babies, expressing milk, even a visit to SCBU would have helped - it seemed like I spent a month holding my breath and not daring to think about the future. It would have been easier if I had known what to expect.

ToTheMoonAndStars Sun 25-Jan-15 17:39:06

My waters broke at 34 weeks. The doctor in maternity triage told me I had just had a big wee hmm. I knew I hadn't!

Went for a scan the next day and sure enough I had low fluid. We think DS's head managed to plug the hole somewhat!

I have antibiotics and twice weekly scans and drank lots to replenish the fluid I had lost. My fluid levels were just at the bottom of the percentile chart.

Consultant wanted to induce me at 37 weeks. I pushed for 38 weeks. Bang on 37 weeks the rest of my waters went naturally. I was apparently still not in labour, so got induced and had my beautiful healthy boy. He was already 8lbs too so in many ways I was glad he was early!!!

So 3 weeks in between for me :-) drink lots and rest. It might not wol, but then again, it might!

Nolim Sun 25-Jan-15 17:41:59

I didnt have to wait that much. Good luck. flowers

Babiecakes11 Sun 25-Jan-15 17:57:55

Babiecakes11 Sun 25-Jan-15 18:00:25

balia Sun 25-Jan-15 19:41:24

Limbo is a very good way of putting it. I was told just to do as little as possible (apart from going in and out of hospital). Sleep as much as you can. It will pass.

neversleepagain Sun 25-Jan-15 19:47:42

My waters went on Thursday night, given steroids and contractions started on Saturday afternoon, babies born on Saturday evening. I was 34 weeks with twins

AwfulBeryl Sun 25-Jan-15 19:48:37

My waters went at 30 weeks, I delivered Dts around 10 hours later.
If you have had the steroids it will help no end with your babies lungs, I didn't have them but my Dts were still ok. They are fine in fact, no problems at all from prematurity. One of them only had a few hours of CPAP.
No one wants their babies to be in NICU but 30 weeks is a good gestation to have a prem baby ( if there is such a thing ) sorry if this isn't the sort of success story you wanted to hear. I just wanted to reassure you that If you do have your baby soon that everything will be ok.
Good luck thanks

neversleepagain Sun 25-Jan-15 19:51:42

Twin 1 (who had lost her waters) had an infection and need iv antibiotics in nicu. Both spent 2 weeks in scbu.

Babiecakes11 Sun 25-Jan-15 20:04:23

AwfulBeryl Sun 25-Jan-15 20:30:03

Have you had a chance to speak to anyone in NICU ? They will be able to tell you what sort of support you baby will need if the baby is early.

Babiecakes11 Sun 25-Jan-15 20:44:21

ToriB34 Sun 25-Jan-15 21:08:57

AwfulBeryl Sun 25-Jan-15 21:09:03

I would push to speak to a NICU consultant if you feel it would help, I was able to as part of a twin pre natal session, we had a tour of the unit and spoke to a member or the nursing team who needed up looking after one of my Dts. It did actually help me, although it didn't feel like it at the time.

Babiecakes11 Sun 25-Jan-15 22:53:47

bumb1ebeesknees Mon 26-Jan-15 05:31:52

I held off for four weeks to 34 weeks where I was induced. I was induced because they believed it was better for baby to be out at that stage than without water and risk of sepsis inside.
Only in NNU for 5 days and breastfeeding from day three. They are stronger than they look!
Good luck x

Babiecakes11 Mon 26-Jan-15 12:06:54

ToriB34 Mon 26-Jan-15 12:10:09

Babiecakes11 Mon 26-Jan-15 18:48:51

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: