Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

How were you feeling during your c section?

(11 Posts)
getoffmybramblepatch Fri 23-Jan-15 15:55:34

I'm going to have ELCS and I'm really really anxious about it. Will I be aware of what's going on? How much pain will I be in? I'm feeling ok about before and afterwards it's the during that's really really worrying me. Please reassure me it's not that bad!! I just can't imagine knowing I'm having major surgery and being awake at the same time!

LollyLondon Fri 23-Jan-15 16:04:54

You will be totally fine! Tell the anaesthetist that you are feeling anxious and they will keep chatting and reassuring you. DH, the anaesthetist and I had an inane conversation about films and after a bit of tugging and pulling, baby had arrived.

There was absolutely no pain, apart from a sting when the spinal block went in. There is tugging and pulling, as I mentioned above, which is an odd - but not painful - sensation.

I kept thinking that it felt surreal but definitely NOT like I was having major surgery. Also as it is going to be elective, the atmosphere in theatre should be nice and calm. Lots of luck!

flippyflapper Fri 23-Jan-15 18:13:48

I was so nervous. I had to have a elcs because I was having twins.

I cried at the thought got my self in a state.

The actual cs was great, he new I was nervous and chatted away, we had music playing and I honestly felt nothing apart from tummy moving, to me it felt like the babies were kicking about then out they popped smile

Didn't start to feel uncomfortable till next day but that was because my hospital kept forgetting me and I had no pain relief apart from paracetamol I had in my own bag!

Heels99 Fri 23-Jan-15 18:15:50

Fine. I didn't feel any pulling or tugging. It was a relief to get the epidural to stop the labour pain.

geekymommy Fri 23-Jan-15 18:21:19

I had an emergency c section after DD got stuck. I was kind of passing in and out of consciousness, partly because I had been up all night the previous night. I didn't feel any pain.

reallywittyname Fri 23-Jan-15 18:23:04

You will be excited to meet your baby, and there'll be a screen up so you won't see any of the surgery. The anaesthetist chatted to me all the way through mine (EMCS) and really put me at ease, and all I felt was some rummaging, as though I was a washing machine and they were taking the laundry out. Once DD was out I didn't have eyes for anything else and before I knew it we were in recovery. The epidural was the best, was like heaven just not to be in pain of contractions any more.

chrisrobin Fri 23-Jan-15 18:25:45

The best description I've heard is that it feels 'like someone is doing the washing up in your stomach'. I had no pain during my 2nd CS (was under a general anaesthetic for my 1st), but there was a sensation of the area being jiggled about a bit.

cameorole Fri 23-Jan-15 18:26:46

Wasn't bad at all, but by then was so tired I almost slept through the whole thing. They had the radio on and were chatting about mundane things which gave it a very normal atmosphere. It definitely felt weird but not painful. The sewing up bit was uncomfortable but my god so much more dealable with than the labour preceding the c-section! Sure you'll be fine!

turdfairynomore Fri 23-Jan-15 18:31:05

It was great! I loved being awake and aware and I couldn't believe how quickly everything happened! I had no pain afterwards that wasn't dealt with by painkillers. I do remember starting to shake after DS was born but anaesthetist said that was very common and he sorted it out by adjusting the drugs in my drip.

dannydyerismydad Fri 23-Jan-15 18:35:01

I felt everything except the pain. A totally bizarre, and not at all unpleasant experience.

Mine was an emergency following failed induction, but I'd happily do it all again.

Lovethesea Fri 23-Jan-15 18:41:47

Had an awful first birth so my elcs was fantastic.

I was feeling relieved I hadn't gone into labour before my date. I was excited to meet my new baby. I wondered if the scan saying boy was accurate. I was glad not to be waiting about any longer as we'd been waiting around while the emergencies went in so were on the ward from 7am til going down at 1430, fasting!

The spinal was a scratch like a vaccination, then I felt cold in my legs but nothing else. There was a lot of tugging and it felt very high up under my ribs but DS was stuck so it took some work to get him out. No pain at all.

I was shown him once he came out yelling in protest. Then I spoke to him and touched him while the nurse checked him and wrapped him up snug. He then laid on me while they wheeled me to recovery where he fed and I finally got my jam and roll.

I threw up once and they jabbed me with something to prevent nausea and then I was fine.

My recovery was much better than from high forceps with DD and the birth was very healing after a lot of trauma.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: