Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Travel insurance when pregnant

(8 Posts)
Matilda17 Fri 23-Jan-15 08:29:27

Hi,
I've just found out I'm pregnant (a bit of a shock as I have polycystic ovaries but became pregnant straight away!). The thing is, if all goes well, I'm due to go on holiday to Mexico when I'm around 17 weeks. I've checked with my GP and she's happy for me to go, but I'm concerned in case something goes wrong and I need to see a Dr over there. Anyone have any experience of this? Did you get some full on travel insurance? Was it ridiculously expensive?

Thanks
Matilda

eurochick Fri 23-Jan-15 08:31:41

I checked that my usual annual policy still covered me and asked whether I had to tell them about each trip (I travel quite a bit for work and pleasure). It did.

Lunastarfish Fri 23-Jan-15 08:33:45

I went away at Xmas 12 weeks pregnant. I just added pregnancy in as a known medical condition and it made no difference to the price. But it did ask a lot about complications so I expect premiums would increase in that situation

Kim82 Fri 23-Jan-15 08:35:06

I went away to Turkey at 32 weeks pregnant last year (booked before I knew I was pregnant) and the travel insurance cost around £45 if I remember correctly. You should be able to find some cheaper than that as you'll be a lot earlier in your pregnancy than I was.

bagofsnakes Fri 23-Jan-15 08:41:51

I went to the US when I was 14 weeks pg and came back at 17 weeks. I got good but regular insurance, Sainsburys I think. They didn't need me to have any extra cover as I was travelling under 28 weeks so it wasn't anymore expensive than usual.
As a side note flying long haul (10 hours) at that stage of my pg did make my feet and legs swell so I'd recommend compression socks. Otherwise I'm sure you'll be fine.

beno57 Fri 23-Jan-15 08:50:43

I have just taken out insurance for my trip to Egypt at 20 weeks. most cover pregnancy as standard, just read the T+Cs before you buy. it was not more expensive than normal. travel supermarket was helpful

trixy04 Sun 15-Feb-15 00:23:20

I might be traveling at 19 weeks, I found that Insure and Go pregnancy policy was quite good and decently priced. I've used them in previous pregnancies. They don't add a surcharge for pregnancy - i think their t+c's are on the internet. Have a nice holiday!

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 15-Feb-15 05:35:07

As I understand it, recent discrimination laws means that insurers have to cover you throughout pregnancy (technically right to the end, but keep reading...)

Pregnancy itself is not considered to be an illness or pre-existing medical 'condition'. Most insurance therefore covers you for complications e.g. HG, pre-eclampsia, miscarriage etc. or anything that is not considered to be routine pregnancy and childbirth.

Typical things you wouldn't be covered for are an airline not letting you fly if its within the terms of booking that they won't carry you at certain weeks (unless you have an annual policy, and booked before knowing you were pregnant) or, say, childbirth when you are considered full term.

I'm with Aviva who make no mention of it at all on our annual policy so called to check and they confirmed the above (we are in China from week 14-17). I also hear that the post office is very comprehensive. Cancellation seems to be the main area where insurers differ, there was a well publicised case recently of a woman who cancelled due to malaria risk which her insurers refused to pay out on. Aviva and post office confirmed they would have.

One thing to bear in mind if you're going to travel late on in pregnancy is whether, if you go.into early labour, whilst you will be covered, what about your baby?

Hope you find a good policy - some of the big insurers can.actually be better than you'd think and cover this as standard without needing a specific pregnancy policy.

Congratulations and have a good time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: