Talk

Advanced search

Induction, what to expect?

(7 Posts)
Jodie1982 Thu 22-Jan-15 21:57:32

Im 36+5 wks, I'm being induced at 39+6 (12th feb) due to severe PGP and history of Clinically Large babies, I really do not want to go over due. Consultant is happy for induction so it's all booked. Didn't get much time to talk in my meeting with him yesterday, was just given a little leaflet. Can any of you ladies give me any info on what to expect? Did you find contractions more intense? This is my 5th baby, previous deliveries were all Vaginal, bad tears (3rd/4th degree and grazes, episiotomies due to large babies).
Any info would be fantastic. Thanking you.

Littlefrenchmummy Thu 22-Jan-15 22:43:18

Hi Jodie! Congratulations you're going to see your baby very soon !! I was induce with my first and had a spontaneous labour with my second. They were both back to back and the pain was the same for both labours. I was induced with the pitocin drip- all I would say with the drip is that when they augmented the dose the contractions suddenly became very intense, whereas with the natural labour it was more progressive. Aside from that it was the same. I arrived at the indicated time, was hooked onto the drip and told to...wait and labour ! Mine was quite slow (but so was my spontaneous labour) but I have had friends who have laboured very fast whilst being induced. Considering its your 5th baby it shouldn't be too long? Anyway, I wish you all the best and if you are really nervous about the whole process you should call your MW and ask for her to talk you through it. A leaflet is just not enough ! Have a lovely evening X

Jodie1982 Fri 23-Jan-15 15:10:49

Anybody else have any info?

GoooRooo Fri 23-Jan-15 19:57:55

I had an induction because my waters went and 24 hours later nothing was happening. First had a pessary which did nothing, then went on the drip. It lasted for hours and hours and hours. I had an epidural which I personally didn't like but other women love them.

Waters went 3am Weds. Induction started 9am Tuesday. Gave birth 9pm Wednesday.

I found the contractions were fine, but the internal examinations were excrutiating which is why I asked for the epidural. I have since learned that my mother also finds internal exams really painful so suspect I am just built that way and it was nothing to do with the induction.

I had no episiotomy, no tear. A small graze and one healthy baby boy smile

GoooRooo Fri 23-Jan-15 19:58:28

Sorry - waters went 3am MONDAY, not Weds.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 23-Jan-15 20:02:37

I went in to be induced in my last (2nd) pregnancy. I was a little overdue and on examination was already 4cm, so they were able to break my waters. Labour moved quickly but was bearable, had a nearly 10lb baby within 5 hours with gas and air towards the end.

I think as you've had 4 babies already once they open your cervix your body will take over. I took a lot of comfort from the fact I'd given birth before and this helped me stay calm.

Best of luck!

Littlef00t Fri 23-Jan-15 20:11:24

It does vary a fair bit depending on how keen the baby is to make an appearance.

I was induced as 10 days overdue. A couple of sweeps had been promising but no sign.

Had a pessary at 8:30 by 10am contractions started. Not really a gap between contractions but not massively painful, coped fine throughout with gas and air.

Baby born at 6:30, 9lb 1oz, some tearing and stitches.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: