Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Breastfeeding pillow for post C-section

(13 Posts)
Ilovechops Thu 22-Jan-15 16:20:22

I am having a C-section in a few weeks and am contemplating buying a breastfeeding cushion for after the birth. I didn't use one with DC1 and never had a problem but it was a VB and i think it's rather different. I am worried because one of the only positions I could feed in for the early days was the rugby ball one because I have really big boobs and I couldn't seem to get comfy unless on my side for the first week or so. I did have a 3rd degree tear which made it hard to sit down last time.

Anyone have any advice on the cushions and which would make a good choice post C-section?

Thanks

mildatheart Thu 22-Jan-15 16:26:02

I'm having a planned section on Wednesday and am getting none of these
Cuddles Collection Nursing Pillow Jungle (Blue) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CI6SN6W/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_jrsWub0CQ2CD7
They come in tons of lovely patterns.

mildatheart Thu 22-Jan-15 16:26:41

One not none!

onthematleavecountdown Thu 22-Jan-15 16:27:34

I'm having a cs in a few weeks too and planning to bf. I have a dream genii pillow. It's long with a bend in it so hoping I can use it for a variety of positions. I did look at the v shaped ones but I couldn't see how to use it when rugby ball holding baby.

jimijack Thu 22-Jan-15 16:31:19

Bog standard v pillow from Ikea. Cheap as chips & flexible enough to manoeuvre around the body for whatever position suits. Still using mine for bf my 2 year old.

nevergooglebrandybutter Thu 22-Jan-15 16:32:05

i've had 3cs's (becoming a bit of an expert!) and have bf each time.
to be honest, any firm pillow will do. i used a memory foam one that i already owned last time and it worked really well. i didn't bother with 'feeding pillows'.

rugby ball hold is great after c-section too. sitting on the sofa i would put a small cushion to my side then place the firm pillow across the top.

laying down perfect too, but i've always found the baby needs to be a bit bigger before feeding laying down works for me.

babyblabber Thu 22-Jan-15 17:31:08

I love the widgey breastfeeding pillow, very firm, easy to pull off you quickly but still snug.

No way could I feed my big babies without it at first. DS was 11lbs and DD was 9lbs and section so it was great. Have it out & ready for next week for no.3!

TheEagle Thu 22-Jan-15 17:36:23

I tried to use the Dream Genii for feeding but I could never get the blasted thing in the proper position! It's not very firm either so that didn't help.

I found the c - shaped pillow to be brilliant (think it's called a widgey pillow).

This time round I've bought a twin My Brest Friend (2nd hand) which is mahooosive grin

Oh and I never fed lying down - it hurt my tummy in the beginning and DS just never took to it. Any tummy discomfort (from CS) while feeding went away within a few days.

Good luck!

Innocuoususername Thu 22-Jan-15 17:38:44

I agree with nevergoogle, any pillow will do really. I too am large boobed but I'm not a big fan of breastfeeding pillows, I think they are often too bulky and the baby ends up being too high. After my CS I just used a bog standard pillow as a bit of extra padding over my scar, and I got rid of that after about 10 days.

fanjobiscuits Thu 22-Jan-15 17:43:27

I used thrupenny bits cushion which was really portable, highly recommend

NameChangeForNameChange Thu 22-Jan-15 17:59:12

I've had 3 sections and have bf all if my babies, but have never really bothered with a special pillow. Someone lent me a widgey style one with DC1, but I barely used it. With DCs2 and 3 I just trapped any firm pillow / cushion that was handy. I'd save your money and just but one after birth if you think you need it.

Ilovechops Thu 22-Jan-15 21:06:05

Thanks for the tips. I used a normal cushion last time and had no problems so perhaps it's not worth the spend and I should see how I get on. I do have the dream geni cushion for sleeping. With DD1 I LOVED it but this time I hate it! Not sure why but it's so big and awkward I hardly bother with it and can't imagine using it for feeding.

Tranquilitybaby Thu 22-Jan-15 23:46:56

I found feeding much easier on my scar and back when I used a Boppy pillow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: