Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Just found out pregnant, had operation yesterday

(12 Posts)
Gingernut81 Thu 22-Jan-15 10:40:56

I'm just wondering if anyone can offer any advice or has been through anything similar? I had a short operation in day surgery yesterday to sort out some torn cartilage in my knee, it probably lasted an hour at most. I'd been suffering from sore breasts for a few days but assumed my period was on it's way so wasn't too concerned, especially as my periods haven't regulated after a second miscarriage at the end of November. My breasts still felt sore this morning, my period still hasn't arrived and the obvious suddenly dawned on me. I've done a pregnancy test which puts me at 4-5 weeks. I really didn't expect to be pregnant, we haven't been trying as I've been suffering badly from depression since the last miscarriage and we were to told to wait a while before trying again. We've used ovulation sticks and I can probably count on both hands the amount of sex we've had in the last 21/2 months! I've spoken to the day surgery unit & am waiting for them to get back to me after speaking to the anaesthetist and all the google adice varies! Any stories from mumsnetters?

Poledra Thu 22-Jan-15 11:45:51

Oh you poor thing - how worrying! I can't say much about anaesthetics so early in pregnancy, but I had my appendix out when I was 31 weeks pregnant with one of my DCs. So, a fairly long anaesthesia (because they had to rootle around to find my appendix since the baby was taking up so much room!) along with shedloads of antibiotics and painkillers. That baby was born 1 day late, weighed in at 8lbs 14 oz and is now a healthy almost-9-yo.

I hope the day unit get back to you quickly, and bext of luck with your pregnancy flowers

Nottalotta Thu 22-Jan-15 12:33:51

I don't have any personal experience, but only yesterday my mum told me how her mum went in dorm an operation to remove 'polyps' from her womb. She came round to be told she was 5months pregnant! She was 40, my mum is now a very healthy 67!

Nolim Thu 22-Jan-15 12:35:48

No personal experience but congratulations!

RevoltingPeasant Thu 22-Jan-15 13:09:29

How scary! I think baby will be fine, but did they not do a test beforehand?

lostinindia Thu 22-Jan-15 13:18:17

I'd speak to your gp. But in the meantime if you'd like a happy tale, my friend had a pacemaker fitted and later found out she was 6wks pg at time of op. Baby was fine.

Gingernut81 Thu 22-Jan-15 14:00:37

Thanks for the replies!
No, they didn't do a test beforehand!

Dollypins Thu 22-Jan-15 14:04:47

Thats quite naughty, ive had a few ops and each time they have asked about periods and requested a pee sample to test just in case! They sound have tested - thats how a friend of mine found out she was preg!

I'm sure all will be fine OP, congratulations smile dont forget if your concerned you can always have a scan via your EPU x x

MerryMarigold Thu 22-Jan-15 14:07:11

My friend had an op under general and she is around 14 weeks pregnant.

grocklebox Thu 22-Jan-15 17:14:35

Lots of people have anaesthetics while pregnant. There is no particular risk other than the general risks of anaesthetic, especially at such an early stage.

rubyboo2 Fri 23-Jan-15 08:26:23

Hi having worked in a day surgery unit I can say you should of had a pregnancy test as routine before your surgery unless you have the coil or were on your period . Good luck and I hope all goes well x

Gudgyx Fri 23-Jan-15 12:02:32

I had surgery last year, was probably only very early pregnant as the test before the surgery came up negative. But I was defo pregnant! Everything is fine with baby smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: