Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

diagnosed with diabetes... complete change in diet :(

(5 Posts)
xShellyx Thu 22-Jan-15 09:46:04

My gtt results came back this morning, they think I was already diabetic judging by my results. Which would make sence now with how I felt after a sugar intake in the past feeling the same as I felt during the test.

Now iv got to change my diet completely, removing all my favourite foods and I have such a sweet tooth. Barely any fruit intake, lactose free milk, everything whole grain instead of white, no biccies, no cake, no sugar in my tea....

I feel sad. I love cake lol!

Giantbabymama Thu 22-Jan-15 10:21:25

I don't have it but am "at risk" for gest diabetes which means changing my diet totally as they don't really want to put me on drugs if they can avoid it as my insurance won't cover it (am expat). I do feel for you as I really wish I could just eat what I want. Have they given you any drugs?

You never know, it could still clear after baby arrives. I think you can get special diabetic treats, and I know they're never the same but it's something.

xShellyx Thu 22-Jan-15 10:36:21

I'm going to an appointment next week to discuss my diet and medicine's as well as a growth scan and consultant appointment to get an induction date.

I had a feeling months ago I should be tested because every time I had something too sugary my pulse ended up racing. And then my sugar levels would drop quite fast.

I cant believe I have to change things even down to my milk! I love milk!

fattymcfatfat Thu 22-Jan-15 13:41:21

Oh no! Poor you. Im convinced that I am going to be diagnosed with gd. I love milk aswell and I feel your pain. I would cry if they told me that! Hopefully they are wrong and it will clear once baby is born then youcan go back to hhaving what you enjoy. But if not a change in diet has to be better than injections every day. My uncle has type 2 and because he didn't stick to the diet changes he has to do this every day for the rest of his life. Good luck hun

JontyDoggle37 Thu 22-Jan-15 17:40:21

Please google the Australian diabetic diet, my GP referred me to it when I was repeatedly hypoglycaemic. The NHS guidance is still to eat lots of carbs, to maintain a consistently medium level of sugar, but the Australian approach is to low carb, so you maintain a low level of sugar. Lots of people are having much better luck balancing blood sugar this way, than with carbs. It really helped me anyway. Best of luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: