Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Could I be pregnant?

(11 Posts)
Pointlessfan Wed 21-Jan-15 20:09:31

Please advise!
I'm BFing DD who is 10mo although we have been switching her onto formula ready for me going back to work so I now only feed her morning and night. Periods haven't returned yet.
I've had bad nausea and been off my food since Sunday. I was sick twice yesterday. I assumed it was a bug although I don't usually get sickness bugs. I'm also feeling drained and achey and my boobs hurt.
Did a pregnancy test today which was negative but as I'm not having periods I have no idea if I've done it at the right time. We had unprotected sex once over Xmas but I can't remember when exactly.
Is there a way of finding out if I am pregnant that would be more reliable than a home test in this scenario?
I'm panicking as we both want another baby but can't really afford it yet.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Wed 21-Jan-15 20:16:25

I'm afraid a home pregnancy test is the only way to find out. All you can do is wait a bit longer and test again.

Pointlessfan Wed 21-Jan-15 20:17:51

Thought as much, thank you. I'm quite scared, I haven't even gone back to work yet.

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 21-Jan-15 20:19:04

It's possible, yes. Any unprotected sex can lead to pregnancy.

I'd probably wait a week and retest.

MagpieCursedTea Wed 21-Jan-15 20:28:22

I'd think that if you were pregnant and the hormones were at a high enough level to cause symptoms, they'd be high enough to show up on a hpt. However, as others have said, it's worth testing again in a week.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Wed 21-Jan-15 20:36:32

If your unprotected sex was end of Dec (i.e over Christmas) then a pregnant test would more than likely show up positive by now if you were pregnant. Test again in a week to make sure.

Pointlessfan Wed 21-Jan-15 20:40:24

I sound really irresponsible don't I?? I would like to point out that I wasn't drunk and the sex was with my DH!
Thanks for your replies. I'll retest next week if I'm still feeling ropey. I'm quite feverish too so thinking it probably is a bug of some sort, although that wouldn't explain the tender boobs.

hestialou Wed 21-Jan-15 20:58:09

Could the symptoms be ovulation, as I used to get sore boobs then? Maybe worth doing LH test?

MagpieCursedTea Wed 21-Jan-15 20:59:47

Any chance you could have mastitis? Sore boobs, feeling feverish, sickness etc are all symptoms.

Pointlessfan Wed 21-Jan-15 21:02:47

I did wonder about mastitis. There is no redness or swelling.
How likely is it to get it 10 months into BFing when I'm only doing 2 feeds a day?

Pointlessfan Wed 21-Jan-15 21:04:08

It could be ovulation although I always used to get sharp abdominal pain. Going to have paracetamol and sleep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: