Advanced search

Cats and crib - dangerous?

(16 Posts)
gingerfluffball Wed 21-Jan-15 08:50:32

Curious to know if anyone has had any problems with a cat and a new baby - wondering if getting a crib (gauze/netting) cover is worthwhile or just another thing to flog new mums. Don't want our cat to climb in with the baby as he is used to sleeping by us at night (do cats even tend to do this?) but the crib cover I've seen was £50! FTM obviously smile

SunshineAndShadows Wed 21-Jan-15 08:58:53

Keep the door closed if you can. Cats will want to sleep in warm snuggly places and the crib will be warm and comfy. Risks are small but as an adult I once woke in the night gasping for breath - my cat had decided to lay across my face to sleep!

HeyMicky Wed 21-Jan-15 09:07:19

My cat used the net cover as hammock confused

He was obsessed with the nursery before DD arrived and slept on the change table at every opportunity. Once she was here, though, he stayed well clear, never goes near her room now even after 2 years

Loveleopardprint Wed 21-Jan-15 09:08:39

Google "cats stealing babies breath". There is an old wives tale about this. I think I would be wary of a cat and baby sleeping in the same room though.

secondtimeprego Wed 21-Jan-15 09:09:11

I used to shut my cat out when my little one was newborn. But the meowing/scratching at the door made me give in. He was always waking us up. Never had any issues-he slept in his usual place by our feet. Had zero interest in the crib. And wanted to stay as far away from the baby inside as possible. (16months later and he still runs when my boy comes near...) when no. 2 arrives I'll probably shut the door again for first month or two though.

gingerfluffball Wed 21-Jan-15 09:13:24

Think he will have to get used to a closed door! He does like to cuddle up close to our chests in the morning so obviously don't want him doing this anywhere near the baby. Also planning to go for a co-sleeping crib and having a net cover over the top of it does just seem to go against the point of easy access etc.

wawabear Wed 21-Jan-15 09:41:01

Mothercare do an insect net which is a lot cheaper than the cat nets I have seen and does the same job.

We have started to confine our cats to the living room at night, they previously slept in our bedroom, but we didn't want them to associate the baby with their new sleeping arrangements so we have started the banishment now (I am 26 weeks). They don't see too fussed about it. I think they actually quite enjoy it as they're not disturbed by my frequent night time visits to the loo!

gingerfluffball Wed 21-Jan-15 09:46:56

I'm at a similar point wawabear (25 weeks) so might start shutting him out of the bedroom now too so he's used to it by d-day. Feel bad (total soft touch) but I'm sure it'll be worse dealing with a yowling cat waking up bubs when he's actually sleeping.

skyra13 Wed 21-Jan-15 09:49:55

My cat seems to want to sleep on anything baby related she has also become a pain and started peeing in the house due to the cold weather!
Baby not here till April we have 2 cat flaps one from outside into the utility room and then from utility room into house!
I have taped that one up so she now has to sleep in the utility room of a night I have made her a bed and brought a litter tray as she does not like to pee outside in cold weather!
She seems happy and sleeps in the house in the day and I let her out into the utility room when she wants to wee or go outside, and put her out there at bed time.
Maybe you could get your kitty into a new routine before baby arrives! Worked for me.

bettyboop1970 Wed 21-Jan-15 10:13:00

I had 3 cats when my twins were born and also had concerns. When the cats realised how much noise they made they wouldn't even be in the same room!

Ditsydo Wed 21-Jan-15 10:24:56

My cat had an obsession with anything baby related, we decided that we would shut him out of the bedroom at night time before dd arrives so he doesn't blame her. We couldn't keep him out of the Moses basket or car seat so I lined them with tin foil and he has taken a second look since.

gingerfluffball Wed 21-Jan-15 10:37:31

Ha ditsydo I love that! My cat would detest tin foil in a potential sleeping position.

shelley1977 Wed 21-Jan-15 11:44:46

I was concerned about this when I first had my granddaughter stay as a baby but my cats all avoided her. Still have plenty of cats and 30 weeks pregnant but I assume it will be similar, they will have a look and a sniff but will probably stick to their usual sleeping spots. One of mine has become very clingy/ protective of me recently but don't think it will cause any difficulties

RoganJosh Wed 21-Jan-15 11:49:23

We never needed one as they were asleep with us in the room (as per SIDS guidelines) or later on the cats were shut downstairs at night. You might be able to get away without one, maybe wait and see.

HazleNutt Wed 21-Jan-15 13:13:07

we have 3 cats, who like to share our bed, and before the baby arrived liked to sleep in baby's bed or car seat, whenever they got the chance.

They never did this when the baby was here, never went even near newborn DS, were absolutely terrified. So maybe you won't even have an issue.

There is no evidence that cats have ever smothered babies (except for old wive's tales).

rallytog1 Wed 21-Jan-15 13:44:57

I would recommend you don't go googling old wives' tales!!

Most cats won't want to come anywhere near a baby. You just have to follow sensible precautions, eg not leaving cat and baby in a room alone together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now