Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Elephant feet

(9 Posts)
NinjaPanda34 Tue 20-Jan-15 14:47:19

(36+4 with twins.) Oh my goodness, my cankles are now huge-mungous! They're so tight - almost feels like sunburn. My slippers now don't fit and my toes look like sausages. Oh the glamour! Someone please tell me that the swelling goes down?!

Giantbabymama Tue 20-Jan-15 15:35:31

Mine are awful too. I'm 36 + 5, not with twins but baby is large for dates. I am prone to swollen ankles when flying so I'm not really surprised. None of my shoes really fit so I had to buy horrible ugly man sandals that I hate!

This is my first and I find having my feet up helps along with getting DH to rub them. I am told it will go down and I have to assume it will as the swelling usually disappears after flying.

NinjaPanda34 Tue 20-Jan-15 15:45:54

Glad it's not just me! My feet are up, but my dh has a foot phobia so he isn't going anywhere near them!! Have tried a cold flannel on them, but not making much of a difference. Not long to go now for us! Eeek!

Dogsmom Tue 20-Jan-15 15:56:24

Attractive aren't they?!
I had huge feet and calves with dd1, you could press my shin and it left a big squashy dent, hate to say it but they got even more massive in labour but I did have a few drips, it did all go down not long after though.

bagofsnakes Tue 20-Jan-15 16:03:52

Mine were JUST like that with DS1. I was pregnant during a hot early summer when we were living in the US and the swelling of my lower legs, feet, hands and face was just ridiculous. It was all harmless (but bloody uncomfortable and unsightly) water retention, my BP was always low but they do say that if you suddenly swell up you should have your BP checked.

The good news is that you you wee and sweat (and that postpartum sweating is crazy!) it all out in the days immediately after birth. It think that I could see the tendons in my feet again about two days after birth - it was a beautiful sight smile

Interestingly I'm 37.6 with this pregnancy and only have very the slightest swelling this time. Not at all uncomfortable and only really noticeable as I seem to have 'grown out' of my wedding and engagement rings and one pair of boots is a little snug. So maybe it's not so bad with subsequent pregnancies.

Missymum6 Tue 20-Jan-15 16:04:12

Old washing up bowl, filled with cold water and ice... Feels heavenly smile

sleepybee Tue 20-Jan-15 17:41:03

Epsom salt bath

TheScenicRoute Tue 20-Jan-15 20:28:33

I've been wearing flight socks since the first trimester, measure your ankles/ legs as soon as you wake up, get some one to buy you the appropriate size that day, but don't even attempt to put them on until the next morning when they've gone down in size again. X

tuffgingernut Tue 20-Jan-15 20:49:34

Haven't got Elephant feet but have definitely got sausage fingers! 37.2 weeks and I've had enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: