Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Painting while pregnant??

(12 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Mon 19-Jan-15 16:39:23

Hello, in 12wks and was wondering we need to paint baby's room. I've heard lots about you should inhale the fumes of paint as its bad for baby.

It's just my mum said it to me, so wasn't sure if its a backward thinking thing or actually it's not good?

Or the other plan was for my hubby to paint & for me to go stay at my mums for a few days?

Or to paint that room & keep door closed with window open?

Any opinions?

Thank you xx

Marshpillow Mon 19-Jan-15 17:06:31

I painted 5 rooms in our house in my second trimester - just keep the room really well aired while you're painting and stop if you feel unwell. The fumes aren't the best thing in the world for you but painting a room with standard paint shouldn't do the baby too much harm. You can buy a particular paint with less/no fumes but I just went with the standard stuff.

Cornberry Mon 19-Jan-15 17:07:56

We had to paint our bathroom as it was mouldy and we just chose a Saturday and I stayed well out of the way in living room while OH painted. I think main thing is to keep the house/flat well-ventilated. I would start early in the morning so windows can all be left open as long as possible and just avoid the room.

Allstoppedup Mon 19-Jan-15 17:16:29

I painted loads of stuff when pregnant. (I stripped back all the second hand furniture we had for the nursery and stained/varnished it as well as just standard wall paint!) DS seems fine so far! grin

Just make sure it's well ventilated and you take regular fresh air breaks. Obviously stop if you feel dizzy/ uncomfortable.

hazel88 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:23:23

I'm 35+2 and have just painted 2 rooms. We used a low- odour paint and kept all windows open to keep plenty of air coming in, you couldn't pick up any smell or fumes from the paint. I think as long as you're sensible it's safe. It's a good idea to sleep with the windows open or even better, sleep in a different room while decorating another.

Jaffakake Mon 19-Jan-15 17:32:58

I think this comes from before modern low VOC paint. I really can't see how painting a couple of rooms could have an impact on baby! If you're particularly bothered use a brand like Crown Breatheasy.

pinnkmoose Mon 19-Jan-15 20:16:47

I painted a lot of the house during my pregnancy- it didn't worry me I just kept the windows open as I would normally. Paint doesn't contain lead anymore, emulsion is pretty harmless.

morethanpotatoprints Mon 19-Jan-15 20:26:06

I painted when pg infact we renovated a whole house between me and dh grin
from lead pov, it can be dangerous if there are layers underneath wall paper etc in old houses. We had lots of it and believe it or not arsonic on the wall paper grin

Dogsmom Mon 19-Jan-15 20:29:12

I painted too and will be doing the same again in a couple of weeks in this house when I'll be 36 weeks.

itssangriaoclock Mon 19-Jan-15 20:31:41

I painted when 37wks.

I think the advice was when the paint had a high lead content.

But good idea to open windows extra

Cubtrouble Tue 20-Jan-15 12:00:25

Buy a mask. 3M make a good one. Have a look on google, you can get a "painting one" or for different things, for example if you were sanding wood. We have a huge decorating restoration project at our new house and I am also pregnant. The deal is we work with the window open if we can and always wear the mask keeping the door closed from the rest of the house.

Paint fumes and sanding dust should not imo be taken lightly. The mask was no more than £30 and I value my lungs a lot more than this.

Happy decorating!

MumToBe2015R Mon 26-Jan-15 15:40:45

Thank you for everyone's advise. In that case we will go ahead with the painting although my hubby will be doing it. Good luck to everyone xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now