Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
Perspective Required...(10 Posts)
I am 41+1 today. First baby. Booked in for induction on Saturday.
Was booked in for a sweep this morning. Midwife has a rummage around (agony ) and tells me that she can't do the sweep as everything is still closed off. No dilation, cervix still high. Basically, whilst she acknowledged that things can happen quickly, she didn't contradict me when I said it looked like induction would be happening.
She explained that I wouldn't be able to have a pool birth with induction and that chances are I'll need an epidural. I feel absolutely scunnered. I can't believe, for all the cramps and pressure, that absolutely nothing is happening. I'm so disappointed.
However, the baby is happy and healthy and so I know that rationally I have no reason to be upset. It could be so much worse. I just can't seem to cheer up at all
Aw, don't worry.
I was induced at 40+12 with DD. The midwife told me I wasn't even 1cm dilated when inserting the pessary for induction and that I could be there for days. That was at around 1.30/2pm. She was pretty rough (student midwife, first time doing it.) but that could have been what got things going.
At around 9pm I started feeling cramps. By 2.30am I was having reall strong but irregular contractions. Midwife discovered I was 8/9cm dilated! Down to labour ward and using only TENS and gas and air (lovely stuff) baby was born at 4.30am.
I really wanted a water birth etc but you know what, the labour was fine without it. I had to just let go of what I had planned but instead just go with the flow.
Induction doesn't always mean epidural. I was upset that the induction meant I didn't have the birth I had half planned for. The best thing I can recommend is that you relax a wee bit till the induction date. Sort out a bag to take with you with books, stuff to eat, things to distract you while it's going on. Having an induction date means at least you know a finite date.
I know having people say how things will be fine can be hard to hear when you're faced with what you really wanted isn't happening. I'm 37+3 with DC2 and the baby is oblique transverse so the lovely water birth I'd planned this time is really unlikely and I could happily tell everyone to feck off when they tell me about someone they know whose baby turned etc. I know it's childish but I just wat to drum my feet on the ground and say it's not fair!
But you'll be fine, honest. Things could get moving before the induction date anyway, or you may need an induction. Things will be ok, you might not be a dead cert for am epidural, you may even decide during labour to have one. Whatever you choose will be totally fine.
Why does she think you'll need an epidural? That's an interesting thing to bandy about...?
I had an induction (went straight onto the drip for time reasons) and managed fine on gas and air. Please don't think I'm boasting or anything because it was friggin painful but I'm just trying to let you know there's definitely an option of going with more natural pain relief if that's your preferred option.
Like gin has said I was really keen on a water birth. Unfortunately, due to the induction and the need for constant monitoring, I wasn't able to do it. In fact I had to be on my back the entire labour because every time I stood or went on my side her heart rate dropped. And yeah it wasn't ideal but you know it was the labour I had and it was absolutely fine.
I totally understand your disappointment but please do try and not rule anything out quite yet. Go in with your eyes open and make decisions as they come. Try not to think it through too much just yet because if childbirth teaches you anything it's that you only really have a perception of control when it comes down to it. There are certainly things you can opt for but when push comes to shove (pardon the pun!!) you'll do whatever it takes to get the wee one out, I promise.
Good luck and let us know when the baby arrives.
You've still got time and chances are you'll go into labour before Saturday.
My DD was born at 41+5 where the previous two had been on due date. I had given up all hope of going into labour naturally, was booked for induction on the Tuesday and then she arrived early hours of Saturday morning
Aw thanks for the replies they've genuinely helped and I feel a little more optimistic now. I guess I'll just wait it out, relax, and let go of my original plan if required. I think being open minded is the key. At the end of the day I just want to meet my baby. I suppose how we get there is perhaps less important.
Interestingly, I've just had my show. So you never know...maybe it's still given everything enough of a shake up to get moving??
I gave birth the day I was booked in for a sweep with my first. I had been in labour for 38 hours before having him....wasnt dilating even though contractions were strong and three minutes apart! I was stuck at 1cm for most of that time but once things started moving it was fine. I was pushing for two hours as his gead was stuck (he came out face first) and he was back to back and I only had gas and air.....awesome stuff....you dont have to have an epidural if you don't want pain relief is entirely up to you. .but I swear by gas and air!!! With my second I had my show two weeks before she was born (was in slow labour the whole time) not trying toput a dampener on things just to let you know that baby will come when it is good and ready.....that is usually when you stop worrying about whenbits going to come!
Forgot to mention I was only pushing for seven minutes with dd! Just goes to show anything can happen!
The show is a good sign!
I never had a show with DD, it must be a sign that things are moving in the right direction. So woooo!
I wouldn't say you 'need' an epidural with induction, but it's true that if you have the drip quite a high percentage of people feel they need /choose to have an epidural with it.
But I would agree with those who say try to relax and go with the flow.
Is the induction recommendation in your area +14? That gives you ages to go into labour on your own. I had a baby in my arms less than 24 hours after a 'failed' sweep (high, closed, posterior). The state of your cervix today only tells you the state of your cervix today, nothing more.
I gave birth on the day I was booked to be induced (exactly 42 weeks). I went into slow labour a few days earlier. It still didn't go as planned & for other reasons I ended up with an emcs, but it shows natural labour could still happen.
A show is a good sign, surely.
If you don't want to be induced on Saturday you could ask them to monitor you for a few more days.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.