Talk

Advanced search

Washing clothes & bedding for new baby

(16 Posts)
marmaladegranny Mon 19-Jan-15 09:47:43

What do you MNs use in the way of washing powder / liquid to wash your new born's clothes etc? What about fabric conditioner?
I am tasked with washing everything (hand me downs and new clothes, towels, bedding etc) ready for my DDs baby . When my own DCs were born my mother taught me to hand wash everything with pure soap and line dry but I assume everything goes into washing machine these days. Do you tumble dry baby clothes? My DD does not have a washing line….
Thank you for your help - I am very aware that the way I did things 30+ years ago is probably very old fashioned

velocityofbeans Mon 19-Jan-15 09:58:47

Funnily enough, I've been given that task by my dd too..I've been washing it all in non-bio washing powder in the machine and trying them on the airer. They do smell nice, and it's the powder she would normally use so the baby will get used to the smell (or something, I may be making that up for myself)

It has been fun though, and I may have been a bit squealy about how small everything is blush

velocityofbeans Mon 19-Jan-15 09:59:24

drying, obviously, not trying

Artistic Mon 19-Jan-15 10:16:23

I use Ecover liquid detergent & fabric softener. They are more 'natural' & less 'chemical' - so bought it in loads at Tesco discounted price. Very mild detergent & conditioner. Even so I use very low doses & wash at higher temperatures instead. Practically no smell at all...which is what I was aiming for.

Innocuoususername Mon 19-Jan-15 10:20:01

I used non-bio and a small dose of Comfort Pure fabric conditioner. Tumble drying is fine.

At least, I did with my precious first born; DC2 just got the stuff straight out of the box it had been stored in blush

mousmous Mon 19-Jan-15 10:23:02

whatever you usually use is fine. however bio powder gets stains out best (there will be loads of poo and food stains).
if worried about sensitive skin use an extra rinse.

Alwaysinahurrynow Mon 19-Jan-15 10:24:30

We use fairy liquid and then fairy fabric conditioner and tumble dry everything. If you have a low heat setting on the dryer, I'd use that to minimise shrinkage.

missingpinotgrigio Mon 19-Jan-15 12:26:02

Asda do a range of washing powders, tabs etc in their little angel range. I'm 36 weeks and have been keeping myself busy washing lots of tiny things!! I've also discovered that my washing machine has a 'baby cycle' on it, I think it does an extra rinse at a higher temp to kill any lingering germs! I'm just drying them on an airer, most of it dries within a day smile

marmaladegranny Mon 19-Jan-15 13:47:46

Thank you all for your advice.

woodwaj Mon 19-Jan-15 13:52:01

Same as missing the asda range smells nice and wasnt expensive either!

Phantomteadrinker Mon 19-Jan-15 14:40:03

I've used the asda little angels tabs this time. On the wash previous to the baby wash, I had, and often do with 2 grubby boys, done a wash with a capful of dettol so machine was nice and clean. Love a bit of dettol me, especially when pregnant smile

TwoLittleTerrors Mon 19-Jan-15 14:43:37

I'm using bio but the extra rinse function in he machine. (I'm an ezcema sufferer and that's good enough for me). I also don't use fabric softener as it leaves a residue. Always use at least 40c.

TwoLittleTerrors Mon 19-Jan-15 14:44:15

And I tumble dry if needed. Otherwise it's line dried. But mainly for environmental and money reason.

Jenny1231990 Mon 19-Jan-15 15:03:18

I used fairy and the conditioner. I've since switched to the asda little angels products as they are just as good and half the price. I used airers and have also a dry buddy which is fantastic for baby's things. Obviously pointless you buying one maybe an idea for your daughter though. Mine was £15 2nd hand. I get a few loads completely dry in there within a couple of hours. Great on electric and nothing shrinks. X

neversleepagain Mon 19-Jan-15 22:13:55

I used soap nuts until my babies were year then Ecover washing powder, never used fabric softener.

agoodbook Mon 19-Jan-15 22:20:25

I did all my DD's with our first DG 2 years ago - all non bio, and no fabric conditioner - line dry or tumble is okay smile. The non fabric conditioner was due to my DD2 being allergic from birth- it took me and doctor a week to find out is was fabric conditioner was the problem over 25 years ago now .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: