Advanced search

4 weeks pregnant at 45

(22 Posts)
Tilly1969 Mon 19-Jan-15 09:33:29

Hi, just found out I'm pregnant. Worried sick because of my age. It's my 3rd pregnancy and my youngest is 7. Was wondering if there is anyone else in a similar situation? Need a bit of reassurance!!!! Was wondering if I get any early scans etc. x

Zsazsabinks Mon 19-Jan-15 09:36:56

Not in your position but I understand how scary it can be. A lady at my daughter's school just had her third little surprise at 47 and my Aunt just had her first at 47. Just reassurance that you're not alone!!

I think they do treat you as high risk but what that actually entails in terms of extra scans etc.I don't know.

Tilly1969 Mon 19-Jan-15 09:44:55

Thanks for your reply. Nice to know I'm not the oldest! Such a funny time early pregnancy. No one knows except my DH. Frustrating waiting for the all clear but that has been the same in all my pregnancies. x

Booboostoo Mon 19-Jan-15 09:56:13

Congratulations! In general, for women who have had previous pregnancies, a pregnancy later on in life is not so problematic. Everyone worries about MC, especially in the early weeks, so I can see why that would stressful. I don't think there are extra scans or tests, there is a higher chance of chromosomal abnormalities but maybe put that out of your mind until later on when more information becomes available from scans.

GillSans Mon 19-Jan-15 10:02:18

Congratulations on your lovely news! I don't have any experience, but every time I see a post like this it gives me a bit of hope. I would love to have a 3rd, but at 45 with my youngest at 9, my chances feel very slim.

Hope all goes well for you.

stubbornstains Mon 19-Jan-15 10:02:38

Congratulations! Come and join us on the Old Birds ante natal thread:

It's loosely for over 35s, and we have several 42/43 year olds.

I went for my 20 week scan the other day (I'm 40), and the sonographer told me they had a 50 year old in recently!

You probably won't be offered any extra scans on the NHS; they have a rather callous pragmatic approach to such things, but you could choose to have an early reassurance scan done privately.

Tilly1969 Mon 19-Jan-15 10:12:56

Thankyou so much for your replies, just felt a feeling of calm coming over me reading your messages. Feel the need to talk but don't want to tell any one yet. Will definitely check out the other thread. x

supersupersupershock Mon 19-Jan-15 20:01:27

As the others have said come over to the other thread and join us oldies smile I was in as much shock as you a few months ago when I found out I was pg, last one was 12 years ago and didn't think I was able to have anymore smile I'm over the shock now... despite my username saying I'm still in shock smile

DarkBlueEyes Mon 19-Jan-15 20:05:02

I had my second, much wanted child two days before my 44th birthday. And she's perfectly well.

The nuchal scan wasn't great due to my age but I went to the Foetal Medicine Centre and was greatly relieved to find my risk significantly reduced.

congratulations, lovely news!!!

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 19-Jan-15 20:08:23

One of my best friends mums had her 5th child at 44. She said she was monitored very closely due to her age but everything ran as smooth as it should and she now has a lovely teen

Mexicantortilla Mon 19-Jan-15 20:18:51

Congratulations! I'm 45 too, age is just a number, I'm 34 weeks with my 4th, it's been an easy straightforward pregnancy so far, had a scan at 10 weeks when booking in, then dating scan at 12 weeks, usual 20 week anomaly scan and a growth scan at 32 weeks, I'm currently consultant led as have had 3 previous CS's. I think your previous obstetric history will dictate what you get etc. my nuchal test scan etc was excellent and surprising given my maternal age but I honestly don't feel old and don't expect to be treated as such either! To be fair my age really isn't mentioned and I think older mums are seen a lot more now. I had my 3rd daughter 4 weeks after my 41st birthday and felt older then than I do now! Good luck x

Debbiemac1 Tue 20-Jan-15 11:40:53

Hi Tilly, Congratulations, I am in the exact same situation as you. I did a test on Saturday and it came back pregnant 1-2 weeks although my urine test at gp yesterday came back negative so am waiting on bloods as we speak. I am in shock. I am 44, 45 next Thursday. My DH and I are still in total shock and to be honest not sure what to think. This would be number 5, I have DD's 21, 19, 7 and 4, this is a shock to say the least. Not sure if there are any extra tests although I posted on Saturday, 1st time on Mumsnet and was told of the Harmony test which looks good for reassurance on the chromosomal issues.

Tilly1969 Tue 20-Jan-15 11:49:00

Yayyy, so glad I'm not the only one! Good luck with your test Debbiemac. Think that the home tests are more accurate than the Dr's hope you get the result you want. Feel like my emotions are all mixed up. Part excited, part worried. Must look at the info about the harmony test. Haven't heard about that before. So out the loop!

MyballsareSandy Tue 20-Jan-15 12:59:27

Congratulations. A dear friend of mine had a beautiful baby girl last week, and she is 49. Had a fabulous pregnancy and birth, and the baby is gorgeous.

worserevived Tue 20-Jan-15 13:25:59

Congratulations! I'm 38 weeks with my second at 42, and my friend 21 weeks with her third that 48! Both straightforward pregnancies, so being older doesn't necessarily mean having problems. I haven't had any extra monitoring, but my friend has extra scans due to her age.

I'd second the Harmony test. It tests for chromosome abnormalities in the baby through your blood, so is just a blood test i.e. no miscarriage risk, unlike amnio or CVS.

confusedandemployed Tue 20-Jan-15 13:29:29

Congratulations! I had my first 6 weeks shy of my 40th and, being 42 this coming April I haven't completely given up hope of a second! envy

geekymommy Tue 20-Jan-15 13:30:55

Hi! I'm also glad I'm not the oldest. I'm going to be 40 on the 29th shock I'm 13+5, have had a CVS, and the chromosomes are normal. The doctor who did my CVS said that, if the chromosomes are normal, there isn't really much extra risk of anything going wrong because of my age. We (moms over 35) might actually have a lower risk of anomalies (again, if the chromosomes are normal):

About the chromosomes, you've got about a 1 in 20 chance of a chromosome abnormality. That's a 95% chance that the chromosomes are fine. That's not bad odds.

I'm in the US, so my insurance situation is totally different from yours. But I had no problem getting my insurance to pay for a CVS because I'm over 35.

greenlizard Tue 20-Jan-15 22:19:00

Hi I am 31+5 with my first and am 45. I feel absolutely fine apart from normal pregnancy niggles. I am being monitored more closely due to my age and the fact that this pregnancy did start off as a twin pregnancy but sadly I lost one at 9 weeks. To be honest I feel fitter than I did when I was in my 30's. Because of the "vanishing twin" I was unable to have the Harmony test (because they can't tell the DNA comes from which twin) but would definitely recommend the test to allay any fears you might have.

Congratulations on your surprise! flowersflowers

Debbiemac1 Wed 21-Jan-15 13:07:50

Upset and down today. Anybody know anything about hcg levels? I had bloods done on Tuesday at 4wks 5 days since lmp. GP phoned to say they are not sure really as hcg levels are v low at 46 and I have to go for another blood test on Friday at 5wks 1day. She said they suspect a v early miscarriage or chemical pregnancy (I thought these were the same thing). So don't know what to think, i have googled hcg levels but can't really get too much info. Results on Friday if they go up then pregnant if they go down then miscarriage.

Tilly1969 Thu 22-Jan-15 15:34:32

Oh Debbie, easier said than done I know, but try not to worry too much. Don't know much about HCG levels so sorry not much help. Maybe you cycle is off a bit and your not as far along as you think. Fingers crossed for good news on Friday. Let me know how it goes. T x

Levismum Thu 22-Jan-15 22:11:05

Just read your thread.

Good luck. Hope you get good news tomorrow. X

SilverStars Thu 22-Jan-15 22:16:46

Debbie - hCG levels are all about how they increase. Think meant to double every 48 hours in early stages like you are. One test alone means nothing as depends on stage of pregnancy. Mine was just ver a 100 when clinic dated me at 5 weeks. Did not have a second test so not sure how it increased but am in 2nd trimester now and realise I was not 5 weeks then despite my dates according to my NHS dating scan.
Hope all positive for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now