Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Any Twin Mums with experience of co-sleeping twins in a cot bed?

(16 Posts)
TheScenicRoute Sun 18-Jan-15 22:13:00

Hi ladies,

Our twins are due in 2&1/2 weeks ekkkk! I've always assumed I would co-sleep them at separate ends of a cot bed but recently had a wobble and been researching the safety of this.

Having researched it, I feel comfortable with the idea again, I've seen photos and the babies are tiny at each end of the cotbeds that they are really a long way from each other.

Has anybody bought the got separator?
www.twinsuk.co.uk/products/100430/Safababy-Cot-Divider-%28Twins-Co-Sleeping%29/
Do I really need this at first? Could I get it a few months down the line when they are a bit more Mobile? Do I need it at all?

Thank you.

TheScenicRoute Sun 18-Jan-15 22:14:14

*cot separator

NinjaPanda34 Sun 18-Jan-15 22:20:21

I would be interested to see the responses too. Although looking at that picture, I'd always assumed that both their heads would be in the middle?
We're planning separate Moses baskets at the beginning then moving them to a cot bed/s when they're a bit bigger. It's all getting a bit close isn't it? smile

stirrupleathers Sun 18-Jan-15 22:20:58

Hi there my twins were born at 33weeks so were tiny when they came home a week later from scbu so I put them both in the same cot until they got too big. I actually used to roll up a towel into a tight but soft tube to separate them !! Then when they went into separate cots they were still side by side and could "talk" to each other!! Good luck, my two are 9 now. !!smile

SpaceKoala Sun 18-Jan-15 22:26:16

I had one of those separators for my twins, but would not buy it again. At first they are so tiny and don't move around, so no need for one really. Later we used those baby sleeping bags so no blankets etc that were floating about.
They moved to their separate cots at about 10 months, as they started to wake each other in the night. Had taking the separator thing out by then,
One thing that I did find very useful was a video monitor with a camera that could change the angle, so could see both.

I'd say wait, and buy one if/when you think you need one

Heels99 Sun 18-Jan-15 22:26:45

I didn't because I didn't want them to not be able to get to sleep without the othe
, I wanted them to be able to get to sleep independently.. Plus twins are together 24/7 and I wanted them to have at least have some personal space even if just their own cot! But during the day I used to put them intogether some of the time but then separately at night. We were in hospital for a month after birth and it was easier pushing one cot around so they were in together a lot in hospital.

SoonToBeSix Sun 18-Jan-15 22:29:46

My twins are ten months and have co slept since special care. They are in gro bags in a cot bed no divider. I researched SIDS and found it it safer for twins to co sleep.

Teds77 Sun 18-Jan-15 22:40:14

Mine were born at term so were big for twins but still plenty of room to share. Separated them at about four and a half months, partly about size but mainly because both were rolling and moving so much by then. We didn't get a divider.

chutneypig Sun 18-Jan-15 22:46:20

When mine first came home we put them side by side at one end of the cot bed, with their feet to the foot of the cot. They were fairly large babies so we moved them at about three weeks so they were at either end, feet to foot and heads in the middle. That lasted till about four months when they were moving more and bashed heads a few times. Then we got another cot bed and separated them. I don't remember seeing separators for sale when mine were small.

FreeButtonBee Mon 19-Jan-15 07:06:01

Mine were in a cot side by side for 3 months. Swaddled and then in gro bags from about 2 months (white co ones are nice and small for little twins) they had plenty of space but did eventually start annoying each other with flappy hands etc. but they have never been particularly cuddly with each other so was the right time to separate them. You might get longer with a cotbed. And it is a massive space saver in your room for the first few months.

TheScenicRoute Mon 19-Jan-15 20:21:53

Thanks very much, I was wondering if I was being neglectful in not buying it. My health visitor visits a week tomorrow and I will obviously be showing her just the one cot, wanted to get my facts straight and be confident in my research before she came so she could see that it was a considered decision.

I appreciate your input. X

neversleepagain Mon 19-Jan-15 21:48:01

Once out of scbu and in transitional care, mine shared a cot in hospital. At home they shared a cot in our bedroom and slept happily side by side. We tried putting them into separate cots when we moved them to their own bedroom at 7 months and they were having none of it so they continued to share until 14 months. They are 2.3 now and still have their afternoon nap all squashed up together.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 20-Jan-15 07:24:01

Mine shared a cot from the beginning. They were side by side in the plastic bowl cot at the hospital and then went side by side at the foot of the cot at home when they weren't in my bed. Eventually they got too big to fit side by side, so they went aide by side across the cot and when they got too long do that, they went at each end with their heads in the middle. They shared until they were well over one, though the cot was up against my bed, so we were mostly all sharing the bed/cot anyway.

Don't spend money on a separator or any other gadget before te birth. See how it goes.

Goo luck!

Linguaphile Tue 20-Jan-15 14:07:29

Ours shared a cot from day 1, one set of feet at each end, no divider. We separated them at around 6 months though because one of them kept scooting backwards and getting into the other's personal space!

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 20-Jan-15 14:10:03

mine shared a cotbed thing as a cot for quite a while but when they grew a bit we got another one. No separator and it was fine.

caker Tue 20-Jan-15 14:14:58

Adorable photo!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: